PDA

View Full Version : Turning Japanese

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jim Corril
Sun, Apr-07-02, 19:27
Has anyone out there thought about Sushi as something different to try? Even though the rice would be a high carb item, it would be a complex carb and there really isn't that much of it anyway. Or even better yet, you could try Sashimi. I never thought I would eat raw fish but the flavor is absolutely incredible, not to mention the health benifits involved. So how about it, any other Sushi or Sashimi eaters out there that want to weigh in on the subject?

Jim :D

Karen
Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:19
The way I avoid the rice, ahem, "problem" is to make rolls at home. Raw tuna, avocado and cucumber is great. What I like even more is "deconstructed" sushi - squares of nori, julienned cucumber, minced raw salmon or tuna, cooked prawns, avocado, daikon radish, daikon srouts, lettuce and so on. Then I roll the ingredients into small rolls. It's fun because each roll can be a little bit different.

I eat sashimi out, and find Japanese restaurants pretty easy to navigate. The problem I run into is sugar in almost everything. :(

Karen

Jim Corril
Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:29
Karen,

I would love to learn how to make my own sushi. I started eating it about 2 months ago, so I am still learning about all the different types. I never really thought about the possibility of sugar creeping in there though. I guess there might be some in the pickled ginger but I don't think there is any in the wasabi. Not really sure. I think it is great that you make your own though. The first time I ate sushi I got kind of a rush. Not really sure how to explain it. Did you experience the same thing? Guess it must be a vitamin - omega 3 rush. Thanx for your reply

Jim :wave:

Karen
Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:50
Strangely enough, if you look at the pickled ginger in stores you'll find that most of it is artificially sweetened. I don't know why, but I'm assuming that it is either cheaper or creates a better product somehow.

Wasabi and soy are safe. It's usually other sauces that that have sugar.

It's not that difficult to make rice-free rolls. All you need is a little bamboo mat called a sudare, a bit of imagination and a really sharp knife.

I experienced a rush when I first ate sushi, but it was because it was so exotic and delicious. I remember thinking "OMG, I'm eating sushi! I'm eating raw fish!" I even liked the "challenging" varieties right off the bat.

Another good thing to eat at Japanese restaurants is edamame - the green soya beans in the pods. A little carby, but really good.

Karen

Jim Corril
Tue, Apr-09-02, 15:18
Karen,

I got some sushi for lunch to today and I saw edamame sitting nearby so I got some. All I can say is..."Yucky Poo". :eek: Those pods were like chewing on wood fiber with a little salt on it. I see what you mean about carbs sneaking in though. There was a seaweed/fungus salad I was thinking about trying. Upon reading the label I saw that corn syrup was one of the ingredients. :(

Jim

joanne42
Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:45
All I can say to sushi is "ewwwwwwwww" LOL

Karen
Tue, Apr-09-02, 23:37
Those pods were like chewing on wood fiber with a little salt on it. I see what you mean about carbs sneaking in though.

Umm, Jim, you take the beans out of the pod before you eat them. But I suppose the pods would be full of fabulous fiber! ;)

Karen

Jim Corril
Tue, Apr-09-02, 23:49
:eek: WELL SOMEONE CLUE ME IN ON THIS!!!! :D I guess that would explain it then. Thank you for hipping me on that detail. I wish you could have seen the look on my face as I sat here chewing on one of those pods thinking to myself, "Gad, how can Karen like this?" ::ROGL::

Karen
Wed, Apr-10-02, 00:03
ROTFLMAO!

At the restaurant we serve salmon wrapped in a cornhusk and grilled. It gives the salmon a great flavour and keeps it moist. Upon occasion, our customers have actually eaten the husk and never said a word! :daze:

What was that movie where somone from another planet was given a banana and they ate the whole thing, peel and all. Starman?

That could be your excuse. You're an alien. ;)

Karen

Jim Corril
Wed, Apr-10-02, 01:46
Originally posted by joanne42
All I can say to sushi is "ewwwwwwwww" LOL

I don't blame ya Joanne, I use to feel the same way... :agree:

Jim Corril
Wed, Apr-10-02, 01:50
Originally posted by Karen
ROTFLMAO!

What was that movie where somone from another planet was given a banana and they ate the whole thing, peel and all. Starman?

That could be your excuse. You're an alien. ;)

Karen

Love that movie, cracked me up when he was learning to drive and thought that green meant go, red meant stop, and yellow meant drive faster. :D

joanne42
Wed, Apr-10-02, 06:33
Ya know when we start mentioning these movies it's giving away our ages right??? ROFL... But I'm always a kid at heart.

Karen
Wed, Apr-10-02, 08:03
Love that movie, cracked me up when he was learning to drive and thought that green meant go, red meant stop, and yellow meant drive faster.

He learned that from his human host. That's what she did!

Another thing I like - but you have to like tofu - is chilled tofu. It's usually served on a bed of ice with condiments like soy, ginger, green onion, grated daikon. It's great when the weather turns hot.

Karen

doreen T
Wed, Apr-10-02, 09:31
Originally posted by Jim Corril

Love that movie, cracked me up when he was learning to drive and thought that green meant go, red meant stop, and yellow meant drive faster. :D LOL!!

A girlfriend once told me that the Official Rules for Driving in Calgary are: green is go, yellow is go faster, and red is go like h*ll! :eek:

Doreen