PDA

View Full Version : pork rindes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Frances
Mon, Apr-01-02, 20:35
I've read a lot of recipes that call for pork rindes.............are these pork rindes that you cook yourself or are they ready made?

If you have to do it yourself, please tell me how.....I would love to have these as snacks as well.

I saw a packet of pork rindes once here in Australia and of course there were additives that were probably hidden carbs.

Help....................

Frances

LCalamari
Tue, Apr-02-02, 13:48
the only pork rinds that I have ever seen are the ones that are ready made like a snack food. They are dry and crisp sort of like a chip texture. All local grocery stores carry them here in canada and they have zero carb count. They are actually quite tasty

Heeligan2
Tue, Apr-02-02, 14:43
You can also get the kind you microwave yourself, and many consider them tastier. I've gotten them off the Internet. One source is
http://www.microwaveporkrinds.com/
PS, don't download the comet cursor from the pop up. It is a marketing thing to track your surfing.

mmoranmic
Tue, Apr-02-02, 14:59
Hello Fellow LCers:
Are pork rinds allowed on induction? I haven't eaten them in years and now I've been buying them and eating one ounce at a time. They are very filling and satisfy that need to crunch. Please advise.
MM

doreen T
Tue, Apr-02-02, 15:27
The plain, unflavoured types are fine for Induction ... the label on my Porky's brand shows ingredients: pork rinds, lard, salt. :thup:

Beware flavoured pork rinds, such as barbecue .. the seasonings often contain added sugar and/or starch. Not a huge amount, but best avoided during the Induction period for sure.

Doreen

mmoranmic
Tue, Apr-02-02, 16:08
Thank You Doreen! I appreciate your help. I want to do this right! MM

imready
Thu, Apr-11-02, 15:57
Utz also makes them here in Maryland. I don't know if you get Utz products in CA.

And I agree, they are good. I would like to get a hold of the microwave ones. They sound interesting.

My mom used to make pork cracklins out of pork fat. She called them some Polish name I can't remember. I guess we could have these as a low carb snack, huh?

joanne42
Fri, Apr-12-02, 11:32
I LOVE pork rinds.. I make a low carb dip of sour cream and seasonings and dip the pork rinds right in that.....very very satisfying...

Wendye
Sat, Apr-13-02, 16:36
Hi Frances,
I'm In Australia too - you can get Pork Crackles (absolutely no carbs) From some Coles, Woolies, Bi-lo and Franklins stores - just check with GOLD MEDAL SNACKS (02) 9725 4855 AND THEY'LL TELL YOU THE CLOSEST SOTRE. They do have some MSG - so don't go crazy with them.

I'm buying my local store out of them!

I'm looking for more recipes using them -

I've only got - using them as a 'crumb' type covering, for dips and a fake french toast thingy.

Where have you seen more recipes???

PATTYT98
Thu, May-09-02, 17:32
I found that if you melt butter over the top of the plain pork rinds they are fantastic..a little popcorn like. Also...if you melt butter and top with a little mild buffalo wing sauce (or butter melted with hot sauce) it adds a great flavor to them......

Thank God for Pork Rinds!! :hyper:
Patty

Wendye
Thu, May-09-02, 18:15
Thanx Patty - I think I'll try that.

And a note to whichever Sydney-sider is buying out the Hornsby Coles of Pork Krackles - please leave some for me!!!

chbbybnny
Sat, Jun-29-02, 14:10
I don't really have a reply here, just a comment, I was in the store the other day and saw pork rinds in the popcorn section, in their own box! According to the box, you make 'em just like microwave popcorn. I don't know about them though, has anyone tried them ?

froedrich
Sun, Jun-30-02, 02:55
Sounds interesting! Did you happen to notice a brand name, carb content, or reference to ingredients other than pork rinds/skins?

That would be cool to just pop them into the micrwave and have fresh pork rinds!

chbbybnny
Sun, Jun-30-02, 14:14
No I didn't even pick up the box, I was kinda grossed out actually. I love porkrinds but somehow the thought of nuking them and poof there they are is not very appetizing to me. They were at Fred Meyer, I don't know if Freddy's is down in CA, but I know they own Smiths and Fry's so maybe you would be able to find them there?

EmOhyousee
Wed, Jul-03-02, 07:11
The microwave rinds are great! I used to buy them in bulk at Sam's club. zero carbs and each bag made about 3 ounces. Set the bag in the micro on "popcorn" setting, but stay close and listen. They don't 'pop' like popcorn, more of a sizzle. They can burn very easily, and overcooking makes them extremely hard. 2 minutes is all I usually leave mine in. I found they taste better and are more economical than the already ready kind. Hope this helps.~Kim :wave:

froedrich
Thu, Jul-04-02, 02:39
In which section would you normally find the microwaveable pork skins? Do you recall the brand name, color of the package, or any other information that would be helpful in locating them? I will look the next time I am in Sam's Club, but I don't recall ever having seen them in any of the Sacramento area Sam's stores. Would this possibly be a regional offering only (like in the southern US)?

Any additional information would be most helpful.

Thanks!

GOTTAMOVE
Tue, Jul-16-02, 08:05
HI everyone.

i am currently living in montreal but will be moving back to Toronto, Ontario by September. I ca't seem to find pork rinds anywhere here! Loblaws doesn't carry them, shoppers doesn't, and a host of other grocery stores don't either!! I am visiting Toronto this week. WHERE CAN I BUY THEM THERE? ANYONE KNOW? I really need to jazz up some of my recipies, and i noticed all the funky tings you all do with pork rinds, and am jealous heehee. thanks for your time

Piera

DK141612
Mon, Aug-05-02, 20:16
Since I'm still on induction, I take melted butter with some cinnamon and splenda, and I pour it over the pork rindes. They are fantastic like that.

Dale
Thu, Aug-22-02, 23:14
Also from Oz, Melbourne! I got sick of the Pork Crackles, and yes, I bought them all from Coles (our Safeway -- Woollies didn't have them).

Now I am making them from scratch. Fran McCullough has a great easy way to do them in water in the slow--mod oven and I ate them last night. My butcher is putting 4 pork loin thingy's away each week for me.

I use them for peanut butter, my fave guacomole, crumbs with parmesan, snacks. Love them.

Cheers
Dale

Lolabug
Fri, Aug-30-02, 13:34
Piera,
Try Bulk Barn. sometimes stores like No Frills or Price chopper have them. It really varies from store to store but I've heard that Bulk Barn is the most consistant.

Good luck!

Sandylee
Mon, Sep-02-02, 07:54
Last night I was watching videos and had my favorite snack:

Pork rinds with grated cheddar cheese microwaved for 30 seconds. Yummy

Venetia
Sat, Sep-07-02, 19:44
Hi Francis, I wonder if you could be talking about Cracklins, They sell them in the Walmart Super Center and are not the same as Rinds, My mother used those to make corn bread.(as a filler).I love Pork Rinds and am so glad we can eat them on induction. I have been on Induction for almost three months and I go up and down between 185 and 190. I guess all the meds I take are doing me in.Venetia

debbie2002
Sun, Sep-08-02, 15:11
I just recently started doing this and my family loves it!
I take boneless skinless chicken breasts and dip them in melted butter.
Then I take half a bag of pork rinds, put them in a baggie and mash them to crumbs. I add assorted spices (my favorite is Six Pepper found at Costco) then roll the butter covered chicken in it.

Back at 350 for 30 minutes.

I started Adkins in mid March and have lost 52 pounds! YIPEE!
:wave: