PDA

View Full Version : Little Fish help, any one?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

deltamike
Sun, Mar-31-02, 19:08
OK so here is the problem, I am not only a guy but I am a single guy. Always have been always will.
This, I am finding, lends itself to me cooking really simple stuff. Steak, broil it, Chicken, broil it, Pork…….yup broil it. Eggs of course are scrambled.
The point is that now that I am not eating easy stuff I have to cook more, and yes I am an idiot. :D
Any way I picked up some halibut steaks and need to know how to cook them nice and simple like. Something like put something on them and well broil and or bake them.
Any help would be great :thup:

lcon109
Sun, Mar-31-02, 19:50
Hi Mike :wave:

We love fish and often cook it in our George Forman grill with just lemonpepper seasoning on it. It's so yummy! Have you checked the recipes section? I think there is a section on fish there.

Cooking is fun! And if you decide to give up the single life.. you're mate will be awful glad that you can cook!

Let us know how the fish turns out! It's always nice to find a new way to cook something.

Lisa

deltamike
Sun, Mar-31-02, 20:13
The problem I have running through the bords and such is that they all seem to be aimed at people that know how, or like to cook. I have done a few of them, there is an egg thing that is great.
All I really need to know really, at least I think. Is what to put on the fish (that I might have in the house) and what temp and how to cook it.
Mind you these are things that any well rounded guy should probably know, seems I am lacking :)

lcon109
Sun, Mar-31-02, 20:44
I did pop over and look in the recipes section (specifically members recipe section which is located in the recipes section)
I found a post that has a bunch of ways to dress up fish, I think it's by Doreen. There were several choices in the one recipe. Maybe that one will have some ideas for you.

I know my mom often takes fish, puts it in tin foil with onion, some stewed tomato and salt and pepper and bakes it in the oven. I've not tried that but she claims it's great!

Lisa

IslandGirl
Sun, Mar-31-02, 21:07
Simple methods for halibut steaks or filets:

Put halibut (the yummiest of fish) on a big sheet of foil, dot with some butter, a sprinkle of salt, some fresh ground pepper and (optional) a couple of slices of lemon. Fold the foil up around the sides, roll the top edges til sealed, poke one SMALL hole in the top-most part for some steam to escape, bake at preheated 350F (about 10 minutes the pound).

Season the same way as above, leave off the lemon slices, put on a nice lightly oiled cookie sheet or broiling pan, broil (turn once, watch for meat pulling away from centre bone slightly or, if filet, starting to flake or go opaque). Serve with a squeeze of lemon.

Dill, Old Bay seasoning, Aoili (garlic mayonnaise): go well with halibut.

Enjoy.

deltamike
Sun, Mar-31-02, 21:11
Sweet :) that I can do. I even, suprising as it may seem have the foil :thup:
Thanks alost of the replies, I will try not to burn down the house :D

deltamike
Tue, Apr-02-02, 01:58
OK here is the deal. I posted just a few days ago asking how to cook Halibut. I got some great responses and cooked my little fish up and it smelled very very good.

I am sure every thing would have been just fine had I not done a few things.

One: I cooked it at about one, put it in the fridge for 2 hours then took it to work.

Two: At work I put it in my desk and let it wait there, patiently mind you, until I had the time to cook it.

And Three: I heated it in the microwave and ate it.

Now I thought it smelled fine, I know it tasted good. But as I was to learn from EVERY ONE I worked with, it had the smell of a full fishing boat, sitting in the sun, on a beach in Mexico.

I mean people down the hall where complaining. Asking one another, what in the hell is that vile stench.

The moral of the story is, I now know how to cook fish. And I learned the very hard way NOT to reheat it in the microwave.

I enjoy being a single guy. My cooking has all been grill, broil, or scramble. Mainly for meat, more meat and eggs (in that order). Here I go trying to add stuff into it, and woo be the sorry noses that get in the way.
Just a friendly warning and heads up to.
Beware the fish in the Microwave……….

joanne42
Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:29
LOL I'm so sorry to hear about your experience Mike.. My hubby works with a chinese gentleman so every thing in their microwave always smells like ginger...The best way to get the smell out is vinegar....

fcranmer
Mon, Apr-22-02, 03:33
Hello DM

Im pretty new to the forum, but I do have a suggestion - do you have a wok? Its great for people who want to step up their culinary skills. I have two small children and find that I can't eat their meals - so getting out the wok and rustling something up in 10 mins is just my kind of thing. It v versatile and can be used for frying, steaming and casseroling - you can even scramble your eggs in it. They usually come with a little recipe book to get you started - once used, I guarantee it will become a regular in your repertoire. I find that just grilling(broiling) and baking food can make them taste a little bland - but if you wok fry (meat) or steam (fish) you can marinate prior to wok-ing and infuse your oil or juices with all types of herbs and seasonings.

Good luck.

zellie
Wed, Apr-24-02, 11:51
Mike, I broil or bake all my meat and fish. I like to keep things simple. I seldom use any other cooking method, except for pot roast.
I marinade ahead of supper if I remember. Otherwise I sprinkle with salt. pepper and a bit of lemon juice and broil. :)

I create a lot of variety by adding something over the meat and fish. Some made ahead sauce, I keep a variety of sauces in the fridge. Make sure they are *no* carb, or very low carb. Make sure they don't contain sugar :)

I make a whole lot of sauces myself. They are easy to make.

For veggies, I use only veggies on the permitted Atkins induction list.

Lots of them I eat raw, (salad bar is one resource for this). Those that I have to cook like cauliflower and broccoli, I cover with boiling water over and leave it for a few minutes, they cook and are still crunchy. I store all this stuff in the fridge. I cook only once a week. When I want to use them I sprinkle some (not too much-it has carbs) cheese or other stuff over them, and heat them in the microwave. There are all sorts of other stuff you can add and nuke, mayo, salad dressings, etc.
Just read the label information before you buy.

Have a look at this site:
http://ub2.homepagetools.com/SmokiesLil/UltraBoard.pl

Look under "salad dressings" and "sauces and dips". A person by the name of BruceH has the most wonderful sauces and recipes there. I recommend the "adobo" recipe, and the "southwestern chicken". Look at his recipes, they are easy and very tasty.

Hope this helps.

PS. Look at some of the sample menu webpages for ideas. Plan your meals in advance. Shop towards that menu. Things will become easy if you do this.