PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone having for dinner?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

donnaj
Sat, Mar-16-02, 08:30
I was reading some post and I need help with dinner menu. I am on Atkins plan and eating about 35 carbs per day.

So here goes. I plan to have chicken breast stuffed with pork rinds stuffing( chicken broth soaked pork rinds with tsp. of poutry seasoning.) Green garden salad with homemade ranch dressing and for beverage decaf. ice tea with slice of lemon.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Donna :wave:

alto
Sat, Mar-16-02, 12:20
My menus are very unimaginative, I'm afraid. This week I bought three small filet mignons (I'm eating six small meals a day, with dinner or lunch being slightly less small :) ) and ground beef to make 12 really big meatballs, enough for four 3-meatball meals.

I'll fry the steak and have it with either broccoli steamed with butter or zuccini sliced thin and fried in butter.

I'll fry the meatballs all at once and mix in cream cheese with the drippings to make a sauce (then divide it into servings and wrap the three extras in aluminum foil). I'll have this with steamed cabbage and butter.

Reading about your iced tea made me remember childhood dinners. Having iced tea (with lemon and fresh mint) was the sign of warm weather.

Jo-Ann 2
Sat, Mar-16-02, 13:01
I'm going to fry up a salmon filllet in butter, then I'll take a couple of scallops and fry them in another pan (in butter). I take the scallops out and then to the drippings I add 1/4 cup of Classico (Alfredo and Sun-Dried tomato ) (1/2 cup is 3 grams therefore 1/4 cup is around 2) and I'll add some cream and reduce this in the pan. I'll place the salmon on the plate and then the scollops then the sauce. This is really good. I have it with a salad. This meal can be between 5 and 8 grams depending on the measurements you decide on but it is very good.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann :wave:

donnaj
Sat, Mar-16-02, 17:31
Well girls I am having chicken breast with asparagus.
I fry my chicken with oil and butter until crisp. Then while that is cooking I cook my asparagus with butter and 1 tsp. of sour cream.
I will have ice tea with a slice of lemon and then have strawberries with splenda. The carb count is around 11 carbs that not subtracting the fiber. Then I have plan a chocolate /peanut butter shake for a snack. Where can we eat this good and lose weight. Only low carb...
Well Jo Ann and alto I hope dinner sounds wonderful. I will have to give them both a try especially the meat balls. I have started eating fish so the Jo Ann the salmon will be a great meal I have been eating tuna salad. Thanks girlfriends for the dinner replys. I hope to hear from you tomorrow.

Jo-Ann 2
Tue, Mar-19-02, 15:18
Had a roast of beef that was a little dry, so I cut it up small, melted butter over the top then, put a few slices of aged white cheddar and microwaved it until it melted. I had this with a dollop of tangy sour cream and asparagus with more butter. Oh I love butter. Yum,Yum.

donnaj
Tue, Mar-19-02, 18:09
Hello Jo Ann2, I am on a protein fast for a couple days so I am going to have a couple of hamburgers with steak seasoning on them. I will give the protein fast a couple days then I will start adding salads. I hope this work so far, one pound off. I also love butter and could not get along without it. I fry my chicken in it . Your menu really sound yummy. I will let you know how I do.
Donna

fern2340
Wed, Mar-20-02, 11:14
My menu is never too exciting! Monday night Dan and I did make Crustless Pizza-mmmm! it was GREAT! Last night had to eat very quickly before class so had a cheeseburger w/ bacon and pickles. Tonight: leftover crustless pizza! :) i'm not that creative!

donnaj
Wed, Mar-20-02, 17:07
Fern, the pizza sounds great. How do you make it? I would love to have a pizza but hasn't found a recipe for it. I had 3 slices of bacon and one fried egg for dinner. I am like you I haven't been very creative recently. What type of class are you taking.
Well have a great evening.

fern2340
Thu, Mar-21-02, 07:54
Hmmmm.... the recipe is at Dan's house. I'll post it tomorrow night. I had the leftovers last night. It kind of reminds me more of lasagna than pizza. Regardless, it is tasty!!!
I am in grad school for Sport Management. My classes this semester are Research Design and Methods (yuck, yuck, yuck!) and Business Organization and Leadership.

I'll remind myself to post the recipe or I'll have Dan post it (if I remember to tell him!!)

donnaj
Fri, Mar-22-02, 06:17
Fern, I think it is great that you are losing weight while still in school. When I went back to school at 40's I was 135 but by the time I got my BA five year later; I was at 160. But I loved every minute I spend. Good luck with school.

I had 2 hamburger with mexican cheese and ranch dressing on top. Today, I plan to have chicken with salad and asparagus with ice tea.

Have a wonderful day.

Jo-Ann 2
Fri, Mar-22-02, 06:42
I want the recipe too. Now your going to think that I'm a little nuts, but I love research design, all those variables to consider, sample pools to jump into (he,he), what I didn't care for was replication of studies and data analysis. Boring.............
I have my B.Sc. and worked as a research assistant for years before I became a full time mom. Sports marketing, an explaination is required for me, what do you do with this graduate degree? It sounds very interesting.

fern2340
Fri, Mar-22-02, 08:19
Actually, its Sport Management....I need to go back and edit that. You can do lots with the degree--some people want to go on to teach Sport Mgt, you could work with a high school/college program as an athletic director, pr person, etc etc, work with a pro team.....

As far as what I want to do, not sure yet....I'd love to do Marketing/Promotions for a pro basketball team. Dan and I want to open our own personal training gym, so the degree will help with that. This is my 2nd semester, so I still have a bit of time to decide what to do.

And do I think you are CRAZY for liking Research Design, YES!! :D I have to write an article to submit to a journal for my project. I am going to do a study of home court advantage on basketball teams. I obviously will narrow down the field, Div I teams, I might stick to one conference and look at mens vs womens team. I am going to sort a lot out of this weekend but I really dislike this class. T-tests, ANOVA, correlation, YUCK!!!!

I looked for the recipe but couldnt find it. I know it's at Dans so I'll post it tonight...

:)

fern2340
Fri, Mar-22-02, 08:31
Originally posted by donnaj
Fern, I think it is great that you are losing weight while still in school. When I went back to school at 40's I was 135 but by the time I got my BA five year later; I was at 160. But I loved every minute I spend. Good luck with school.

Have a wonderful day.

Thanks! In college, my weight fluctuated a bit. I went in at 169 and I think I came out at 178 or something. My all-time low was when I reached 196 the fall after I graduated!! Now, I work and go to grad school so it is easier for me to plan and back in college (even though only a few yrs ago), I never even heard of low-carb! I never thought about carbs/protein etc....

I am much more informed now!

Jo-Ann 2
Fri, Mar-22-02, 08:52
Sounds like you and me both dislike the analysis part. Thanks for the clarification on your program. Good idea for your study. Simple is best, otherwise there are too many factors of possible influence you can always add more factors to the pile but then you have to analyze them "yuck". I know simply stated but to the point.
Still looking forward to the recipe.

I had roast beef last night for dinner, I took the drippings from the pan (I use extra virgin olive oil and a little W. sauce to season my roast before I cook it) then I added 1/2 cup of Classica Alfredo with Sundried Tomatoes sauce, went to the classico site this is 4 grams per 1/2 cup so I split the sauce with hubby, he loved it. Yum, Yum.

Trainerdan
Sat, Mar-23-02, 05:34
Since Ms. Fern is still sleeping (and took all of the covers), I'm gonna post the crustless pizza recipe:

CRUSTLESS PIZZA

4 ounces cream cheese
4 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chives
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (we used pizza cheese blend)
1/2 teaspoon garlic (wet or powder)
1/2 cup low carb pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Toppings of your own choosing (pepperoni, sausage, etc.)

Beat cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Add cream, parmesan cheese, and spices.

Spray 9" baking dish (recipe called for deep pie plate, we used 9" square) with oil/cooking spray. Pour 2 cups pizza cheese in dih and pour egg mixture over it. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Spread on pizza sauce, sprinkle on mozzarella cheese, and add your favorite toppings. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes. Let it stand for a few minutes before cutting.

donnaj
Sat, Mar-23-02, 20:32
Trainerdan,
Thanks for the recipe. It sound wonderful. I might just try it tomorrow. By the way, I love you picture.

_wilow
Sun, Mar-24-02, 06:30
I found a salmon recipe that was very good,(had it last night). You marinade the salmon for an hour in 4-5 Tablespoon(T)l of light olive oil, a t(teaspoon) of lemon juice, a t of sweet basil, t of salt, t of pepper, T of parsley, and2 cloves garlic, minced. Put the lid on and bake at 375 for 35-45 min. Was great. Thanks Joann for the scallop/samon recipe. I'll try that next. That's one thing I love about this wol is you can eat seafood til it comes out of your ears... crablegs are right up there with sex on my list, well almost :) Lisa

donnaj
Sun, Mar-24-02, 21:40
Welcome Wilow to the forumn and your recipe sound great. It sound so easy to make. I copied and pasted to my recipe data and well give it a try.

Elaine3
Thu, Mar-28-02, 12:01
I'm new to this Atkins way of life and have done good so far, but I'm getting tired of fried meat, steamed green vegi with butter, and green salad
I used to eat a lot of pasta dishes that had a lot of combinations in them.
I have tried the potato salad substituted with califlower that was great and the whole family liked it I need some more dishes like that. we are just not used to all the greese :roll:

Jo-Ann 2
Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:10
I make both a crustless quiche and mini meatloaves in a cup cake pan (I put cupcake papers in them) the grease is left behind when you lift them out and then you just take the paper off. You don't have to eat the grease. I also like to make fish chowder or kebabs. Last but not least I like to make a ceasar salad and put warmed chicken on it.
Hope these ideas get you out of the greasies. Chicken salad and tuna salad are nice with green onion and celery too, I serve mine in a lettuce line desert bowl.

Elaine3
Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:29
thank's for the quick responce could you pass along your recipes for the quche , fish chowder, and meatloaf ? Never thought of doing meatloaf in a muffin pan that would be a great carry along for my husband at work, he's doing the WOL also :wave: Elaine

Jo-Ann 2
Thu, Mar-28-02, 14:51
There not really written in stone. For the quiche I place some crumpled cooked bacon or ham then I put some grated cheese (I like aged white cheddar) then I put in some green onion and mushrooms if I have them. In a bowl I put in atleast one egg for every mini quiche I'm going to make and some heavy cream a pinch of paprika and a little parlsey. Then I bake them at 350 til there done ??? 15-20 minutes that is a guess though. For the meatloaves I melt 2-3 tblspoons of butter and tsp lemon juice, some green onions and parlsey and mix this with the meat and bake like the quiche. The Chowder it all depends what's on sale. I cook a little red pepper in butter( this adds a nice sweet taste to the chowder and colour) then I add a little green onion then my fish (a few scallops, they are higher in carb's) and some salmon fillets (trimmings work well). Then I add some cream and water along with 1/2a cup of Classico Alfredo Sauce(3 grams per 1/2cup) There Alfredo Sundried Tomato (4 grams per 1/2 cup)is really good too. Don't boil it, let it sit over night in the fridge this really improves the taste. Just before I serve it I add a can of boneless, skinless salmon to it and a good dollop of butter. It's to die for.

donnaj
Fri, Mar-29-02, 05:59
For my meat loaf, I use equal amount of sausage and ground beef, 1 egg, chopped onions, sage, salt and pepper and then add pork rinds softened with beef broth and 2 tbsp. of salsa. Mix and bake at 350 . Add 1 tsp. of salsa five minutes before taking out. Hope this help.

Elaine3
Fri, Mar-29-02, 09:05
I am so thankful that all ya'll are so eager to help out with your recipes, they are a giant help. Thanks for the chowder recipe I have samon filets in the fridge now. This WOL is so cool I went out last night with the girls from church and we went to a mexican rest. I had the fajitas, meat (full plate of meat), onions, green peppers, lettuce, tom, guac, sour cream, and water. woke up this morning and had lost another pound How can anyone not like this new way of eating it has it all! :wave:

Elaine

Elaine3
Fri, Mar-29-02, 09:38
Besides water what are some drinks to mix that we can have Kool-aid, Tea, coffee, sf pop what about any fruits? :wave: Elaine

Jo-Ann 2
Fri, Mar-29-02, 14:26
If you don't have a problem with the sugar replacements ie splenda, etc. Crystal light is good. Seltzer and tonic water, I think have no carbs. The fruits are mainly melons, and berries, no bananas, oranges or apples. Strawberries are my favourite, the quantities vary depending on the fruit. Fruit juice is like eating 4-8 servings in a cup, fruit sugar is still sugar, so it's a definite no.
I'm not sure what V8 is but you could check. No sugar added ice tea, but the sugar free ones are nice.

Elaine3
Mon, Apr-08-02, 08:26
On the drink issue, I found that beef, and chicken broths, are good for a hearty drink at lunch time. When you put it with a salad your full till dinner, or at least I was. It's been raining here the last few days and a warm cup of beef broth at night at my snacktime was just the ticket :thup:

Elaine

KTiki
Fri, Jul-26-02, 16:16
My hubby wants tacos, so while he and my son eat, I will enjoy a taco salad of mixed greens topped with ground chuck, shreded chedder, sour cream and a bit of chunky salsa mixed in, Ymmmmmmmm

I gotta try that crustless pizza!!! :roll:

ciouid
Tue, Jul-30-02, 18:05
Southwest Chicken Salad

1 cup Lettuce 1.0
4 strips crumbled bacon .5
¼ cup fried onion 2.0
1/8 cup fried red peppers 1.5
½ cup mushrooms 1.0
½ cup cheddar cheese 2.0
3 tbsp sour cream 2.0

Fry oinons, peppers & mushrooms. Set aside.
Fry bacon with some chili powder. When cooked through, ad 2 T sour cream.
Assemble:
Place lettuce on plate. Top with fried veggies & crumbled bacon. Add warm chicken, cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

YUUUUUMMEMEEEEYYY!!!

ptjody
Sat, Aug-03-02, 06:28
Thanks for the chicken salad recipe...it looks delicious. I've always been a fan of good salads and this one will definitely be added to my list. MMMMmmmmm!

skyspinner
Tue, Sep-10-02, 20:04
Originally posted by Trainerdan
snip1/2 cup low carb pizza sauce
snip

Where does one find this wonderful-sounding stuff? How many carbs should "low carb" be?

Thank you in advance....