PDA

View Full Version : Eye Twitches

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

vavcon
Mon, Feb-11-08, 09:27
Hello all,

From previous experience on lowcarb, I thought that adding a bit of extra magnesium would take care of this but today, I've still got 'em. I'm taking a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement from Puritan's pride with:

55 mg Cal
500 mg Mag
99 mg Zinc

Thoughts or ideas?
Thanks,
Chris

hayes
Mon, Feb-11-08, 09:39
A twitch sometimes develops during times of increased stress. Twitching has also been associated with high caffeine intake, fatigue or excessive squinting. It can also occur after reading or working on a computer for prolonged periods of time.

An eyelid twitch is usually a sign that you need to take a break and relax. Sometimes a twitch will go away following a good night's sleep, but a stubborn twitch may last as long as three weeks.

If the twitching involves both eyes, there is a possibility that you have blephorospasm. This is a chronic condition that is more common in women over 50. Blephorospasm can progress into repeated forceful closing of the eyes. Again, there is no definite cause, but it may be worsened by stress, bright lights, watching too much TV, and fatigue.

To relieve an eye twitch, try applying warm compresses to the twitching eye and gently massaging the eyelid with your fingers. For eyelid twitches that last longer than 2 or 3 days, over-the-counter oral or topical (eye drop) antihistamines may offer some relief. Although not a direct treatment, antihistamines slow down the muscle contractions, or twitching, making it less annoying.

I googled it.
Hope this helps!

feelskinny
Mon, Feb-11-08, 09:43
For me it's usually an indication that I'm not getting enough sleep?!

vavcon
Mon, Feb-11-08, 10:16
Thanks guys! I do have a bit of an insomnia problem, working on that...but I will try your suggestions, hayes, thank you!

RavenG
Mon, Feb-11-08, 14:24
My doctor told me one time it was due to a potassium deficiency.

Gidget1007
Tue, Feb-12-08, 06:26
Oddly enough, this seems fairly common regardless of if you're on low carb or not.

I started getting minor eye twitches 3-4 months ago (several months before I started on low carb and wasn't dieting at all). They come and they go. On one day, I had a lip twitch...looked like a freaking rabbit for a few minutes there.

I commented on this to my officemate and she said that the same thing happened to her (and she's a skinny twig who eats constantly *sigh*). Anyway, she said she got eye twitches on and off for a few months and then they went away.

Given that, I decided to ride it out (assuming they didn't get worse) and, sure enough, they went away after a few months and I don't get them anymore.

vavcon
Tue, Feb-12-08, 07:04
POTASSIUM - I think that's what I remember. And I took 2 99g last night for restless legs and today, no twitches. Thank you, Raven!!!!

mike_d
Tue, Feb-12-08, 14:34
I haven't had one of those in ages, they are annoying!

Stress and low potassium or other minerals sound like a likely cause though.

RavenG
Tue, Feb-12-08, 15:12
POTASSIUM - I think that's what I remember. And I took 2 99g last night for restless legs and today, no twitches. Thank you, Raven!!!!

Glad I could be of some help....hopefully everything will stay "twitchless" :lol:

vavcon
Tue, Feb-12-08, 16:32
No twitches today!!!
:yay: :yay: :yay:

LowCarbRob
Tue, Feb-12-08, 17:09
Prior to starting LC eating, I had a really annoying eye twitch for about two months. My assumption was that it was too much stress, computer work, caffeine, etc.

I was about six weeks into Atkins when I realized my twitches were gone. I had included 550 mg of potassium and 250 mg of magnesium (along with chromium picolinate and a general multi-vitamin) as part of my daily regimen. I also had stopped drinking Diet Coke. Since then I have slowly reintroduced caffeine into my diet, although at not nearly the amount prior to LC, so I'm inclined to believe it is the potassium and/or magnesium that made the difference.

The twitch hasn't come back. Just another benefit of this great way of eating.