PDA

View Full Version : Bread Machine Bread

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LittleFeat
Wed, Feb-27-02, 10:06
Please help!!

I have now made 3 loaves of "bread" with my new bread machine and they are just awful. The bread looks like a brick and has the consistency of pound cake without the taste.

I have tried reducing the soy flour, oat flour, Whey Protein and even added Flax seed and adding water. Still tastes and looks awful. Very sticky or too dry. Hard to work with. Nothing like real bread dough.

I see another receipe here for "Final Bread" will try that today but, this is starting to cost an arm and a leg. If this works, where can I buy these "flours" in bulk instead of going to Wild Oats Grocery Store where they should just take your wallet at the door and kick you back outside!

Also, is there better brands than others?

:confused:

Kay
Thu, Feb-28-02, 21:48
Hi Little Feat

Welcome aboard.

Since I always loved to bake in my other life (pre-low carb) it was natural to try to make low-carb bread. Especially since my parents bought me a breadmaker and I hated to see it sitting idle on the counter. I, too, bought lots of ingredients and tried many recipes. I ended up with a lot of slices of bread in my freezer.
After making many adjustments, I came up with Final Bread, which, in my opinion, tasted as good as any of the others, didn't crumble, and had the lowest carbs possible.

I learned one very important thing in this research. You cannot let gluten flour dough rise more than one. If you don't have a bread machine that does the quick-rise, once-only cycle, you will have to use your dough setting and then form the loaf by hand, let the bread rise in a loaf pan and bake it in your regular oven. Is this a pain? Yes. Do you get bread this way? Yes.

The low-carb bread is chewy and not as light and squishy as white bread. It isn't the same, for sure. However, it makes wonderful toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, and if you are desperate for bread, it does the job.

Good Luck!

LittleFeat
Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:12
Hi Kay and thanks for your reply.

I went to find the receipe for "Final Bread" and I could not locate it. So, in my mad rush to make an edible loaf of bread, I took recipes from this forum and kinda mixed them up and Whalla!! I made bread that is REALLY GOOD!

It is brown in color (Wheat), rose nicely, and the crust is yummy. It is heavy but not too heavy. Nice nut taste. Really good toasted with sliced cheese. Please try it and let me know your thoughts. Also, if you could send me the Final Bread receipe, I would be truely thankful.

LittleFeat Bread
-------------------------------------

1 tablespoon Bread Making Yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar--yeast food

Put in bottom of bread making machine

In large mixing bowl Add:
1/2 cup Wheat Bran
1/2 cup soy protein isolate
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/2 cup ground pecans
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon nutmeg

mix "flours",

Place over the yeast/sugar in machine.
Next:

2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cottage cheese
dash of vanilla extract
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 whole eggs--beaten

Melt oil and butter in water, then add cottage cheese (Do not overheat. Should be hot to touch). Pour over dry ingredients. Mix whipping cream, vanilla and eggs together and pour over flours.

I set my "Sunbeam" bread machine to "Sweets" setting, as this is the setting for high protein receipes. I let it mix the ingredients, knead them once and rise once. I then removed from machine and put the dough in a greased loaf pan and put in pre-heated 350 F-180 C oven for 45 minutes. Removed bread from pan and let cool on rake. Then sliced up. Made a full loaf.

I do not know the calorie count or carb count. Sorry. I think around 8g carbs though. Maybe someone could figure for us.

Enjoy!
--------------------------
LittleFeat

Kay
Fri, Mar-01-02, 10:17
Your recipes looks good. I'm so glad it turned out for you. You were sounding pretty discouraged before.

How thin does it slice? Did you count the number of slices it made? I ran your recipe through Mastercook as 18 slices and here's what I got:
Protein 7.4
Carbs 4.4
Fibre 1.2
ECC 3.2
Low-carb Bread! Congratulations!!!

You might not like the Final Bread as much - it is heavily dependant on wheat gluten which gives it a very chewy texture. It slices thin, though, and hangs together.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread116.html

LittleFeat
Fri, Mar-01-02, 10:37
Wow Kay that is great!

We have a bread slicing guide thingy. So the slices are the equivalent of regular sliced bread. But, it diffently made 18 + slices. I did not try and slice a slice in half but, do not think it would be a problem. It is stout enough to handle the pressure of the knife, I believe.

So if your guide is correct, the bread is 4.4 carbs but less the fiber could be 3.2 carbs. Is that right?

That is so cool. Please try the receipe and let me know if you like it.

Thanks again

bljohns
Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:57
I tried your recipie for littlefeat bread. It turned out very runny. I would have poured the bread dough from the pan after all ingrediants had been added. I was very careful in all my measurements. Are you sure it is suppose to be 1 1/2 cups of water or should that be 1/2 cup of water. The wet ingrediants seem way to much compaired to the dry increadiants.
I have been making bread for 5 years and have never had bread turn out like this.
Please let me know if there is a typo in the recipie or if the dough is suppose to be runny.
It sounds like a good bread, but it did not look like it would work so I threw the dough out.

Thank you
Bljohns

LittleFeat
Fri, Jul-18-03, 07:35
Hello and thanks for trying my bread. I did this a year ago and have moved on to other breads. I will need to find my original receipe and get back to you.

In the middle of a wedding, so may be a week before I can check back.
LittleFeat

tpharry
Fri, Jul-18-03, 13:18
Thanks for the bread recipe, it looks great. I will check again in a week or so, to see if there is a change.

Also, you said that you had moved on to other recipes..... Do you have a better bread recipe that you might be willing to share?

Lastly, my son is highly allergic to soy. I will be trying the Final Bread recipe (no soy). Are you aware of a decent substitute for the soy protein isolate? Like a protien powder? ( I am guessing here).

Anyway, enjoy the wedding, & thanks in advance for your response when it winds down!