PDA

View Full Version : REAL CHEESECAKE !!!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Chloep
Wed, Feb-27-02, 05:32
I was thinking abt the real cheesecake, those you see at Starbucks.

And I did a carbo count based on the usual recipe for an AMerican Cheesecake.
Here's the usual ingredient for a 12 serving cake :

1 cup crushed biscuits (530 calories, 24g fat, 76g carbs)
1 TBSP butter (100 calories, 11g fat)
2 lbs cream cheese (3200 calories, 320gfat, 4g carbs)
1 cup sugar (773 calories, 200g carbs)
4 eggs (300 calories, 20g fat, 2g carbs)

Total calories = 4900 (408 calories each)
Total fat = 375g (31g fat each)
Total carbs = 282g (23g carbs each)

abt 23g of carbs for a real pc of cheesecake ?? Or maybe 30g if the cake is abit sweeter than the norm.

If hubby and I share a pc of cheesecake at Starbucks, its not too much of a sin right ?????

Thats abt 15g of carbs each. We'd prob make sure we have no more carbs for the rest of the day !!!

Thing is I can't succeed in making the No-bake Vancouver cheesecake (Karen's recipe). Never able to get the egg whites to rise ... So I'll just have to buy the real thing !!!

Your views please !!!

Natrushka
Wed, Feb-27-02, 07:47
I think your carbs are off. Depending on the cream cheese, 2 lbs would have 25-30g of carbs.

If you can't get the egg whites to rise then omit them - I can't imagine the taste would be that different.

Nat

melanie 27
Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:06
Heres my recipe

2 8 oz packages cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
mix in a bowl on high speed tell smooth

in a seperate bowl add
1 cup boiled water
No flavor gelatin
1/2 cup splenda granuals
mix well tell desolved

Mix in gelatin mixture to cream cheese mixture on high speed 3 minutes or until smooth &thick..Refrigerate 5 hrs cut into 12 peice sections.. pieces should be about 1 1/2 inches wide I'll figure out the carbs & post back...

melanie 27
Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:23
Ok heres fit day results

Whole cake 37.25 grams carbs
Cut into 12 pieces 3.1 carbs per slice
cut into 10 pieces 3.7 carbs
cut into 8 pieces 4.6 carbs

Its actually lower then I thought in carbs..
But be careful I got addicted to it so Had to limit it to once a week now. You can also add Extract flavorings to the gelitin mixture before you mix every thing Ive tried Carmel flavoring & strawberry so far. :yum: see you dont half to cheat oh yea I dont use a crust that just adds the carbs up I poor the mixture into a glass pie dish & once its fully set it comes right out.I dont miss any crust as ive always ate just the filling any ways.hope you try it & enjoy see you dont gotta cheat :D This is a leagal food I actually had A guy in church whos also on atkins tell me he can have sara lee cheesecake on atkins yeah right !!!Gotta give his wife my recipe...well hope this helps :wave:

agonycat
Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:24
Just one thing you should remember when eating real sugar.....the insulin spikes. It may be under 40 grams of carbs but what does it do to your insulin levels?

Insulin in the blood stream means no fat burn. Is it worth it?

Chloep
Thu, Feb-28-02, 03:26
Thks Nat, you are right, my carbs count for cream cheese was wrong !!

i've signed up for a cheesecake demo class on tuesday. its conducted by a hotel. WIll watch how they do it, so i can make them at home !!!!!

My first try flopped terribly ..

Will attempt melanie's recipe after tuesday !!

cheers !

canamer
Fri, Mar-01-02, 20:48
Hello!

I've recreated the family cheesecake recipe with Splenda....DELICIOUS and seems to be okay on induction but heck...I'm new!

Instead of a whole slice I divide it into large cupcake liners. I am not permitted to have any graham cracker crumbs on induction so I make mine WITHOUT the crust. Just as good in my opinion!

The carb count I came up with....2.6 per cupcake. Well worth it to skip the crust!

Let me know if you would like the recipe!

CRIS
Tue, Mar-05-02, 19:36
CANAMER,
CAN YOU PLEASE POST THE RECIPE? I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR REAL CHEESECAKE W/SPLENDA RECIPE.

I NEED A CHANGE FROM EGGS AND THIS SOUNDS GOOD FOR BREAKFAST.
THANKS!

drehr
Tue, Mar-05-02, 21:11
I would love to try the cheescake recipe. How much gelatin to you put in?

canamer
Wed, Mar-06-02, 08:54
Absolutely NO gelatin. This is a baked cheesecake. Contains only cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and Splenda (and a dash of lemon juice if you like it - I don't).

I made these for my partner. One cupcake with sugar, one cupcake with Splenda. She couldn't tell the difference! Actually said the sugar one was the sugar free one!

3 - 8 oz blocks of Philadelphia cream cheese
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. Splenda (or less to taste)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice (opt. - not included in carb count)

Whip together until smooth and creamy! Mmmm. Yummy uncooked if the egg issue doesn't bother you!

Bake in large muffin cups (filled about 3/4 full) at 350 for 15-18 minutes (or until set)

Makes about 18 cupcakes at 2.6 carbs each (I believe)

If you want an additional topping on the cheesecake, the recipe calls for an additional sourcream topping.

TOPPING:
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix and spread on top of cheesecakes and bake again for 3-5 minutes.

Let me know if you have any questions. ENJOY!

Kati

CRIS
Wed, Mar-06-02, 09:02
THESE WERE REALLY GOOD. NICE BREAKFAST TREAT. I THINK I'LL ADD A LITTLE COCOA NEXT TIME FOR THE CHOCOHOLIC IN ME!

mjengels
Fri, May-10-02, 11:27
My husband makes the cheese cake and he uses crushed walnuts for a crust it is wonderful.

kahuck
Fri, May-10-02, 15:17
OMG thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys. Well you get the idea 8^)

In_Control
Fri, May-10-02, 16:57
Oh my goodness. 1st treat in 8 WEEKs!!!! Thank you soooooooooo much!

kahuck
Mon, May-13-02, 12:02
Man Splenda is hard to find, however I did find a boxed version of the recipe from a companey called "Keto" it gave me 2 full pies. I only made one, it was eggy at first but after it was in the frig for 24 hrs it tasted much better.

PineSlayer
Thu, May-30-02, 05:41
Originally posted by canamer
Absolutely NO gelatin. This is a baked cheesecake. Contains only cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and Splenda (and a dash of lemon juice if you like it - I don't).

I made these for my partner. One cupcake with sugar, one cupcake with Splenda. She couldn't tell the difference! Actually said the sugar one was the sugar free one!

3 - 8 oz blocks of Philadelphia cream cheese
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. Splenda (or less to taste)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice (opt. - not included in carb count)

Whip together until smooth and creamy! Mmmm. Yummy uncooked if the egg issue doesn't bother you!

Bake in large muffin cups (filled about 3/4 full) at 350 for 15-18 minutes (or until set)

Makes about 18 cupcakes at 2.6 carbs each (I believe)

If you want an additional topping on the cheesecake, the recipe calls for an additional sourcream topping.

TOPPING:
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix and spread on top of cheesecakes and bake again for 3-5 minutes.
Kati,

This looks like a great recipe...I'm going to try it. Please note, however, that the carb count is a little higher than you have listed. Probably the Splenda...Splenda says less than one carb, but it has .5 per teaspoon, courtesy of the maltodextrin filler. That means that there are 1.5 per Tablespoon, 4.5 per quarter cup and a whopping 26 in a cup. So, you will have to add 30.5 carbs to the basic recipe and another 3 if you use the topping.

Hope this helps,

shelxland
Sat, Jun-01-02, 17:33
I used to make frozen cheesecakes for the restaurant I managed. I added flavorings and liqours, etc. Altering the recipe is simple to make it wonderfully low carb...

Take your basic cheesecake recipe from any good cookbook (I use Joy of Cooking) and substitute splenda for sugar. For the crust you can use any of the low carb bake mixes.

Some ideas for flavors...
Low carb extracts are perfect (vanilla, peppermint)
or
I've never tried this but how about melting some unsweetened chocolate and mix in some splenda (and maybe a little butter??? or maybe not), let it cool in a thin layer on a cookie sheet then either cut it or break it in to little peices... instant no carb chocolate chips to make chocolate chip cheesecake.

I have always liked to freeze my cheesecakes before serving. I like to serve them still mostly frozen (just thawed enough to get a fork through).

Shelley

MatsideMom
Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:09
I love checking in on everybodies recipe ideas. Can't wait to try these two cheesecake ideas. I LOVE CHEESECAKE!

Rene'

ONE DAY AT A TIME! And I can't fix yesterday.

PineSlayer
Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:59
This looks like a great recipe...I'm going to try it. Please note, however, that the carb count is a little higher than you have listed. Probably the Splenda...Splenda says less than one carb, but it has .5 per teaspoon, courtesy of the maltodextrin filler. That means that there are 1.5 per Tablespoon, 4.5 per quarter cup and a whopping 26 in a cup. So, you will have to add 30.5 carbs to the basic recipe and another 3 if you use the topping.

I goofed on my figures. There are 6 grams of carbs in 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons, or 12 teaspoons) and 24 in a cup.

Sorry about any confusion.

Melameter
Sat, Jun-15-02, 18:49
I was just reading the cheesecake recipes (I love CHEESECAKE. I have made a dessert similar to Melanies above but I just put cream cheese heavy whipping cream (whipped) and a little vanilla, and some splenda add just a few nuts and drop by spoonfuls onto a piece of wax paper, stick them in the freezer until frozen, and then put them into a ziplock bag, then you have an instant frozen treat for those hot afternoons really good. You can add other extracts to flavor and I have even toasted pecans in a skillet with melted butter and then put them into your cream cheese mixture. It does not take long to toast pecans, to long and they will have a burned taste. But it gives it a wonderfully different flavor. This may not be new but it is good!!!!

ERSmith45
Sun, Jun-16-02, 19:33
Kati,

Your cheesecake is wonderful! :daze: :spin: :roll: I made the cupcake version with the sour cream topping. :yum:

Always,:rheart:Ela

Yan
Tue, Jun-18-02, 14:50
I made Canamer's cheesecake recipe last weekend for my son's 14th birthday party, and was it ever delicious! Fabulous and my son loved it. He insisted his teen friends have the traditional birthday cake, (which we bought). I crushed about 1/4 cup of blueberries in the blender with the same amount of sour cream and that was the topping. :thup:

Ajastoy
Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:03
:yay:

Here's my Cheesecake recipe,,, makes a New York Style dense cheescake.

2 -packages of Cream Cheese (8 oz each)
2-eggs
1/2 Cup of granular Splenda
1-teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

For a crust use a combination of crushed nuts of your choice (pecans are delish) butter, a bit of splenda and cinnamon (add some cocoa for a choc crust)

soften the cream cheese and with a hand mixer beat at medium for 1 minute,, adding in the Splenda and the Vanilla Extract. Add the eggs one at a time making sure to incorporate it well and then turn mixer to high and mix for about 2 minutes more till well combined and it starts to look whipped a bit. Pour into prepare baking dish with crust of choice (I use regular ready make graham cracker crusts - I just pick off the crust for myself)

Place prepared cheesecake on a cookie sheet (or line bottom of oven with foil in case of spill over) and bake for 50-60 minutes till top of cheese cake is golden/starting to brown. Remove and let cool for about 20-30 minutes then place in fridge. Cheesecake will probably be puffy and then sink down and crack,,,, looks are decieving tho, lol.

I made this at Thanksgiving in the graham cracker crust for my family,,, not one person had any idea there was no added sugar in it! It was delicious.

Makes 8 servings
carb count approx per serving 5.1 (crust not taken into account.)

paige17257
Fri, Jul-19-02, 07:57
HI EVERYONE!!
I AM SO EXCITED!! I JUST READ ALL ABOUT THESE CHEESECAKES, AND I AM SO HAPPY THAT I CAN HAVE MY SWEET TREAT IN THE EVENINGS. THIS IS GOING TO HELP ME NOT TO REALLY CHEAT AND BINGE!! I EVEN PLAN ON TRICKING MY HUBBIE. HE ALREADY TOLD ME THAT HE DOESNT WANT MY "FAKE" SUGAR CRAP!!! HEHEHE... I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF HE IS FOOLED!!
THANKS.
PAIGE17257 :daze:

teddi-4
Fri, Jul-19-02, 16:31
Would that wonderful baked cheesecake be OK on Induction? (I hope, I hope!!!)

Ajastoy
Fri, Jul-19-02, 17:08
I dont see any reason why not? Just take the carbs into consideration.

I'm also working on a savory cheesecake that can be eaten for a meal.....bacon sounds good with some scallion added in for bite!

Let me know what you guys think, I figured something different, Quiche tends to get old real quick. :wave:

donnaj
Mon, Jul-22-02, 09:14
I made this for my sister birthday on the 3rd with a blueberry glaze and it was eaten in a day. I hope you all like it as much as we did.
CREAMY CHEESECAKE
Crust: 2 cups nuts
2 pkts Splenda
3 Tbsp melted butter
Filling: 16 oz cream cheese
10 pkts Splenda
3 large eggs
2 teas. vanilla
2 teas. almond extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
Place nuts in food processor; pulse til ground but not paste. Add splenda and butter and pulse to combine. Pour into 9" springform pan and press with fingers on bottom and up sides. Bake at 350 for 10 min. Remove from oven and cool. Place cream cheese and splenda in processor and process til smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each. Add extracts and salt; pulse to combine. Add sour cream and pulse to combine. Pour filling into prepared crush. Bake at 350 for 40 min. Turn off oven, let cheesecake cool for one hour without opening door. Chill several hours or overnight. 8 good-size slices ~ 11 carb, 4 fiber, 540 cal, 50 fat, 14 protein. If you don't make the crust, counts are 4 carb, 292 cal, 27 fat, 7 protein.
This tasted like a real cheesecake, but I felt the crust overpowered it. I used a mix of almonds and pecans, and might just try a sprinkling over the bottom next time.
As the author of this recipe suggested I just placed the nuts( crushed walnut on the bottom) and I also left out the almond extract. The blueberry glaze: 1 pint of blue berries and 1/4 cup of water. Place in a small sauce pan. Add 5 packages of splenda(5 carbs) add 1 tbsp. of arrow root and blend. Bring to a simmer don't boil. Let glaze cool. This well help thicken it. It was worth the wait.
Donna :wave:

Marlaine
Sun, Sep-08-02, 20:35
When considering whether or not to have "REAL" Cheesecake - meaning cheesecake with sugar, here's something to think about:

Originally posted by agonycat
Just one thing you should remember when eating real sugar.....the insulin spikes. It may be under 40 grams of carbs but what does it do to your insulin levels?

Insulin in the blood stream means no fat burn. Is it worth it?

Sugar is YMMV and for a lot of us, like a drink to an alcoholic.

Marlaine

HoneyBware
Mon, Sep-09-02, 06:26
is hard to find??

Where are you from Kahuck? Splenda in US -even here in bfe, we have it at the local small grocery.

jedigddss
Fri, Dec-27-02, 22:22
YIPPEE!!! :cheer:
My low carb cheesecake is cooking as we speak. I am looking forward to seeing if the kids can tell the difference!!!

GeorgiaB
Sat, Jan-11-03, 14:07
For those of you having trouble finding Splenda in stores, you can order it directly from their website and it's very close to the same price as the stores where I live, maybe even a little cheaper. :D

http://www.splenda.com/

Bonnie
Sat, Jan-11-03, 14:42
Hi folks..just a reminder that are several great cheesecake recipes here at this site along with here:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-desserts.html

A couple of my fav are:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cheesecake07.html

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cheesecake11.html
for the juniors's instead of making the cake I just bake my fav basic LC cheesecake recipe and top with toasted coconut...fresh sliced strawberries and the melted down sugar free jam for glaze.. :yum: :yum: ...B

anjelica
Sat, Jan-11-03, 19:23
I cant wait to try ALL of these great cheescake recipes!

Thanks

AmyVent
Sun, Jan-12-03, 08:14
This kind of thing will make me stay on this. Im making one today. I have never had a chance to use the Springform pan I bought from Pampered Chef before and I do now!! :spin:

Ajastoy
Fri, Jan-17-03, 14:54
I've lucked out,,, my hubby went to a Sams Club where our friend's wife works. Comes home with 3 boxes of Splenda for me, each with 700 packets for only $13.00 a box.

;) do I have a nice hubby or what? LOL

Nancy

Jezebel
Mon, Feb-03-03, 23:46
Excellent.... :D
I am so looking forward to trying the delicious sounding baked cheesecake... I am not so keen on gelatine/refrigerated cheesecake..or splenda...I must go and hunt down some stevia now and get cooking!! :yay:

Jezebel
Tue, Feb-04-03, 02:07
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
I've been too the shops, now i have cheesecakes cooling and beef roasting in the oven. I adde a teeny teaspoon of really good organic lemonbuter and some lemon juice to the topping....so there is a little sugar in the topping but I used stevia for my sweetener... boy does it pack a punch! I think next time I will put the mufin tin in a water bath so the edges don't brown so much....but yum(I already had some when it was warm, and uncooked... and :blush: some of the topping....!)

nicksmom
Tue, Feb-04-03, 05:26
Jezebel,
Which cake did you try? I sit here not knowing which one to try. Chocolate will be added to whichever one I do pick. The last time I tried one, it had such an aftertaste.

Jezebel
Tue, Feb-04-03, 05:38
Hi, I tried Canamer's baked cheesecake... except with stevia.... I am going to experiment with this recipe to see how many different flavours I can get.. chocolate is next of course! my boyfriend didn't understand why I wouldn't let him eat them all before dinner... I told him I wanted to save some for treats, but he kept saying"why?" I think he thinks because they are so low carb the cheesecakes are a whole new food group(or macronutrient)Good skill with your cheescakes! :D

nicksmom
Tue, Feb-04-03, 05:42
lol Jezebel. Thanks for the information. I haven't tried Stevia yet. I recently read abt a sweetner called fiber fit. I am trying to find out waht people think abt it on here. Did u like using the stevia?

Jezebel
Tue, Feb-04-03, 16:36
:wave:
HI Nicksmom,
Stevia is certainly strong..... I kept licking the spoon I had used to measure it with and too much is strangely bitter, but the result was good, I used a miniscule amount of sugar in the topping(maybe half a teaspoon in the lemon butter) and some stevia and when I added the stevia it seemed to make the sugar itself much sweeter. I will be experimenting further but I don't reccomend trying steiva all on it's own :(

BarbCA
Mon, Mar-17-03, 14:55
I'm off to make some cheesecake cup cakes. :devil:

BarbCA
Mon, Mar-17-03, 20:30
I'm in heaven!
I didn't make the cheesecake muffins. I just made my regular cheesecake with Splenda and macadamia nuts for the bottom. Used less than I would sugar. 1/3 cup instead of 1/2 in the filling and only 2 teaspoons in the sourcream topping.
First time I've eaten cheesecake without a twinge of guilt in 30 years. :D

BlitzedAng
Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:17
This is by far the best recipe for an easy cheesecake yet. I made it in a metal nonstick pie pan lined with Murrays sf nilla wafer cookies crushed up and a lil butter. DH is on maintanance and loves it.

Azraelle
Tue, Mar-16-04, 16:11
I put this recipe (actually amodified combination of 2 recipes from convergent sources) in it's own thread, thinking that it would get more views that way, but was probably mistaken, having read ALL the posts here, and the general subject matter (cheesecake!), so here is reference to my "double" chocolate cheesecake (lo-carb) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172477)
for which I am insufferably proud of myself, sorry about that, sort of.

lynn_len
Fri, Jul-06-07, 20:57
i'm definately going to try these cheesecake recipes, i like the idea of a crushed walnut crust. I used to eat the ruby tuesday cheesecake with one net carb and i loved it and was just soooo disappointed when they quit serving it. I also heard that the cheesecake factory has a low carb cheesecake and am wondering just how good it is. does anyone know of any cheesecakes or wonderful desserts you can get low carb at any of these places? Cheesecake gets me through when i want something sweet and i always still lost weight so i hope to come up with a good substitution.

MyraS
Wed, Jul-18-07, 21:43
Here's my cheesecake recipe, which has been around the Internet for years:

MYRA'S NEW YORK-STYLE CHEESECAKE

Crust:
1 1/4 cups finely ground almonds (almond flour) OR other nuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Sweetener equal to 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Topping:
2 cups sour cream (16 oz. container)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Sweetener equal to 1 tablespoon sugar

Filling:
3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, combine the almonds, cinnamon, 1 tablespoon sweetener and melted butter until combined. Press into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake in the oven about 10-15 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn! Chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.

In a bowl, mix the sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon sweetener until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup sweetener until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Blend in the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Pour the cream cheese mixture into the springform pan, and bake at 350 degree for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge and center comes clean. With a spatula, spread the sour cream mixture over the top, making sure you reach to the edges of the pan. Return cake to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.

Remove cake from oven, allow to cool to room temperature (cake will settle in the pan). Slide a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it, then remove the springform ring. Keep chilled in the refrigerator.

Makes 16 servings, about 5 grams of carbs per serving if made with an almond crust.

Enjoy!

Myra