PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mimami4
Tue, Feb-26-02, 19:14
Hello all,
Has anyone ever heard of Body Solutions? My husband has been sick and he is a diabetic. His doctor told him to absolutely do not do the Atkins diet. He is overweight by about 50lbs and he just heard of a diet program called Body Solutions. I went on the internet to find out exactly how it works but they don't have that information on their website, just testimonials and what type of research went into their product. Is there anyone out there who has heard of Body Solutions??
Maria

Karen
Wed, Feb-27-02, 01:50
I looked at the site and I'm leery of plans that want to sell you products. You need no products to eat sensibly and lose weight slowly.

Most Drs. have a great fear of low-carbing that is a result of their own ignorance.

As an alternative, pick up a copy of Dr. Bernsteins Diabetic Solution and look at Ruth's Journal (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22171) . She is a very active member and has diabetes.

There have been several diabetics that have come through here who no longer need medication, or have greatly reduced it.

Let us know how you make out!

Karen

mimami4
Wed, Feb-27-02, 06:59
Hi Karen,
That's the problem I had with their website. No information. I told my husband that was not a good idea but he desperately needs the weight to come off. He takes four shots a day. He would have a hard time with Atkins because at times his blood sugar drops and he has to eat carbs (crackers and juice) to bring it back up. He maintains ( between 75 to 180) pretty good, he is just overweight and it's all in the mid section
I'll check out the Bernstein diet.
Thanks for the info. ;)

Karen
Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:53
With low-carbing, your insulin stabilizes so there are no highs or lows, which is why many drug dependant diabetics can stop using their drugs. They're not cured, but stabilized. The Bernstein book should give you a good explanation for how it works.

Karen

mimami4
Wed, Feb-27-02, 13:18
Thanks Karen :roll:
I'll go to the library and check it out. My husband hates reading :confused: I love it myself ;)
Maria

doreen T
Thu, Feb-28-02, 05:27
Body Solutions is a SCAM just like Calorad .. a similar product with miraculous claims for overnight fat-burning while you sleep. There's another one called Sleep-a-Weigh. We had a discussion about these products a while ago; I was able to dig up more information about the products .. you might want to check it out here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27669).

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution emphasizes that you must keep your blood sugar low and stable to avoid the complications of the high blood sugars of poorly controlled diabetes, whether using insulin or oral medications. Low-carb eating and exercise is key. For Type 1 diabetics, insulin will always be required, but the dosage may be reduced and excellent control of blood sugar can be achieved. For Type 2's, who are producing at least some insulin of their own, they may be able to come off injections or stop oral medications and use the diet (and exercise) alone to control blood sugars.

There are a few chapters of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution posted on his website, Diabetes-NormalSugars.com (http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/readit/readit.shtml). As well, he has published several scientific research papers on low-carb diet and diabetes, and diabetic complications due to high blood sugars. You can read them here (http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/articles/articles.shtml).

Doreen

MarkH
Wed, Mar-06-02, 01:20
One pretty important question: is your husband's diabetes Type I or Type II?

JeanetteJ
Thu, Mar-07-02, 21:55
i dont know much about body solutions. except that the plugs i hear for it on the radio. but here's my two cents. they drink whatever it is that they mix with 8 oz. of water. and then they dont eat 3 hours before bed. then they see some slow results.

to me, it seems if i stopped eating 3 hours before i went to bed, I'd be cutting back on snacks so significatly that i'd probably see some slow weight loss too.

i say if you want to lean that way, don't waste your money on body solutions. just stop eating 3 hours before bed- that's free.

of course, i agree with all the others- low carb makes a lot more sense. and, don't know if with his situation it's posible not to have an evening snack or not. i usually need one or i will wake up sick.

Just some thoughts, my initial reaction to why some may see results with that.

jeanette