PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your protein shake?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

allisonm
Fri, Feb-08-02, 16:46
In browsing the journals I see that a lot of people make a morning shake with protein powder. Mine needs work. I switched from soy protein to whey protein for improved flavor, that helped, but I haven't gone beyond cocoa powder and DaVinci's syrup. Tomorrow I'm going to try yogurt and berries in my whey.

What are other people using? Has anyone come up with something great?

Thanks! :wave:

Allison

Jo-Ann 2
Sat, Feb-09-02, 10:02
I find whip cream, ice cubes, sometimes a little almond flavouring helps as well I make only half the recipe, but that's the only way I've been able to tolerate them. I'm sure that there are other's that have got the recipe down pat. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I look forward to the answers you recieve though.
I have a canaster that I've only used a couple of times because I couldn't get the recipe quite right myself.
Jo-Ann :wave:

allisonm
Sun, Feb-10-02, 18:34
Hi Jo-Ann!

Thanks for the reply. Almond flavor is a brilliant idea! I love the stuff. And I haven't tried adding cream yet either. I'm going to have to experiment with these two.

Actually, the flavor of mine just got slightly worse because I've started adding some flax seed oil. And I just bought L-glutamine powder that will probably end up in there.

Maybe I need to chose between healthy and delicious.

Allison

Jo-Ann 2
Mon, Feb-11-02, 07:08
What is it about flax seed oil that's important and do you have to drink it? My girlfriend showed me a bottle of it, does it contain something that I should know about?
I've thought of adding the shake mix to other things like a cheese cake recipe or in a muffin. I really am not to great at drinking it. That's just me though.
There are lots of people that love them. Maybe a different brand would taste better to me, I find them quite expensive though, so I guess I will use up the cannister I have now and then decide whether this is something I want to have as part of my "food for life" or something I can live without.
I heared somewhere that you can add some sugar free pudding to it and make a mouse. Now that I definitely might try.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann

allisonm
Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:41
Flax seed oil has omega 3 fatty acids. And no, I don't remember what they do for you. I've been reading several low-carb books and seeing it recommended in the supplements section of each. Actually I bought an oil blend that has flax seed oil and other oils in it to provide omega 6, omega 9, medium chain triglycerides and GLA. It's something that I've noticed in the journals here of those who real research. It's more for overall good health than for weight loss.

Sounds like your shake mix is an actual shake mix. I've recently been experimenting with protein powder and things to save money. As I remember, Atkins suggests putting that stuff you have in heavy cream and whipping it for mousse. From my experience, I think all these things need an extra dose of cocoa powder. If you add it, you might try to mix it with the shake mix first, before putting it in the cream. Cocoa powder doesn't mix well with liquids unless you first mix it with another powder (traditionally sugar or flour).

I bought some pudding mix from Keto and I don't think you'd be much happier with it than you are with the shake mix. Very gloppy, not thick, and mediocre flavor. Run it through the hidden-carb tool. I'm finding all these low-carb products are higher than the labels say and aren't worth a "cheat".

I was really hoping someone would come along with a great protein shake. Oh well.

Allison

Jo-Ann 2
Tue, Feb-12-02, 06:48
Have you tried this question in the newbie section beside introduce yourself. The "experts" pop in with the best of the best answers. It's worth a try.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann
P.S. Continued success to you. :wave:

Isabel
Thu, Aug-15-02, 17:00
I just filled a couple cubes in an ice tray with cream. Then I'll see if frozen cream cubes add to the froth. :Party:

Isabel
Thu, Aug-15-02, 17:03
I'm freezing a couple cubes of cream to drop in a shake. We'll see. . .

Janice
Thu, Aug-15-02, 18:36
I just had to jump in here and offer up my Hippy Shake recipe for those of you who might be unfamiliar. No, it does not contain hemp.

I use a 500ml canning jar as a shaker. In your shaker, put the following:

1 1/2 C water
1 serving protein powder*
3 tsp. Greens**
1 Tbsp. Udo's Choice Ultimate Oil Blend***

Put the lid on, shake it up babe, while dancing around your kitchen (preferably naked), then bottoms up!! Let me be honest here ..... it tastes ..... interesting. You get used to it and it is so damn good for you! I use it to wash down my vitamins. Here's notes on the ingredients.

* protein powder: I used to use Soy, but I sure like Whey better! Tastes better, blends better; I'm currently using unflavoured "Protiens+". I find the flavoured ones, while still having next to no carbs, are very sweet (too much stevia). Make sure you read your labels, some protein powders have lotsa carbs, some barely any.

**greens: There's Nu-Greens, Greens+, etc. Comes down to taste. The best tasting I've found is the Mega-Greens made by Sangsters (a vitamin store chain in Canada). Kinda marshmallow-y in flavour. Keep refrigerated.

***Udo Oil: an efa blend that is fantastic! Everyone should take it along with an additional shot after dinner! Keep refrigerated.

Enjoy!

Janice

suzanib
Mon, Sep-23-02, 12:01
Hi,
I have a protein drink almost every morning. I use a chocolate one, and 1 1/2 - 2 scoops (to make it extra chocolately).
I use a latte mixer that whips a lot of air into it, and this makes it really frothy.
I also find adding the cream last keeps is frothy too. Cream is heavy and, if added first, would make it harder to get 'air' into the drink. I mix it again with the latte mixer after adding 2 - 3 tbl of cream.
And I've tried two other flavors in addition to almond....banana...yum! and maple...both are good and give you some variety...

seeya :wave:

committed
Tue, Oct-01-02, 20:51
Early into LCing, I looked down on shakes, thinking "real" food was the "best" way to LC.

Now I drink one every single morning for breakfast because I put in a tablespoon of psyllium husk and it is the only way I know of to get it down.

I have found, as someone noted above, that whey protein tastes better than soy.

A person can add all kinds of nutritional supplements into a protein shakes.

Depending on where they are in LC plan, they can toss in a few berries (try 'em frozen).

Angeline
Tue, Oct-01-02, 21:14
which brands are the best tasting in your experience