PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable soups

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lara
Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:05
Just wondering if a soup made with lots of lowcarb vegetables and canned tomatoes and broth is a good staple meal for lowcarbing. It is filling and nutrient rich. Could it be used as a basis for weight loss?

sylvie p
Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:37
I think soups are a good idea. I would use just enough tomato to give it colour and I like to add little ground turkey meatballs in mine. I also like to use chopped up swiss chard in my soups and there's nothing wrong with sprinkling at little parmesan/romano cheese on top for extra flavour.

There's the Italian in me peeking out again.

razzle
Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:44
excellent choice, in my opinion! These soups are warm and filling, and having that veggie variety helps us get the nutrients (including phytochemicals) that many different veggies have to offer.

I do this often in the crockpot, using home-made stock, canned tomatoes (checking to make sure they haven't added sugar!), and either fresh veggies or a mixture of fresh and a bag of mixed LC stir-fry veggies. Sometimes I add stew meat or cut up chicken thigh meat to make it a whole meal. When I get home, tired, there's a healthy hot meal waiting for me in the crockpot.

Karen
Thu, Jan-31-02, 11:58
Of course it can!

I often make soup - it's great for breakfast - without meat and then cut up whatever is around and put it into the soup when I re-heat it.

Good LC vegetables to use are daikon, cabbage, spinach and bok choy and radishes. I like to use Imagine Organic Chicken Broth in tetra packs. It is delicious! You can find it at natural food stores

There are a couple of recipes in my recipe section. The creamless cream soup is great!

Karen

Lara
Thu, Jan-31-02, 13:01
Thank you Karen for the info. I love something hot in the morning and the bacon and eggs are too much sometimes. I've made a cabbage based soup with celery, a little carrot, mushrooms and canned tomatoes - lots of spices and broth. Very good. Your recipes look great and will add them to my repertoire!

donnaj
Sat, Feb-02-02, 06:28
Each Friday, I make a big pot of soup made with beef broth, cabbage, celery, onions, green beans, beef and diced tomatoes. I put into ziplock freezer bags(2 cups) and have it ready for the week. Karen, do you have a recipe for chicken soup? :wave:

carbavoidr
Sat, Feb-02-02, 11:57
cheese soup is a good thing to try too. a bit of chicken broth and cheddar cheese, blended with cream, is rich and satisying. use a touch of celery to bring out all the flavors.
You will find a huge variety of vegetables are available for LC soup. you might try chicken broth/egg drop good too. I bring the broth to a boil and drop in a beaten egg then whisk with a fork.
Jane

donnaj
Sat, Feb-02-02, 14:34
Jane, thanks I think I will try the egg drop soup. It sounds wonderful. I wish I could eat the egg rolls to go with it. :wave:

carbavoidr
Sun, Feb-03-02, 18:31
I love egg rolls too. sometimes, when I am ambitious, I use the low carb tortillas from la tortilla factory. I cut them in half, fill them with cabbage and other filling stuff, put them together with a bit of beaten egg or even a tooth pick, and drop them in the deep frier for a minute. sometimes I dip them in sauce, like salsa or sour cream...this is not weight loss food, but a great treat.
I wonder if crepes would work too?

donnaj
Mon, Feb-04-02, 05:43
I am going to look the internet today and see if I can find us a recipe. I will get back to this evening. Have a good day. :wave: