PDA

View Full Version : mayo

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mcavana
Sun, Jan-20-02, 12:30
what is the deal on real helmans mayo? I can't find plain mayo on low car tools, carbs? no carbs? label says 0, but is there any? even if it were only like .9 / I have allot of servings when I eat it, so that would quickly add up.

Hestia
Sun, Jan-20-02, 13:56
I've got a recipe for mayo that you make in your blender. It's simple to make and you can add Equal or Splenda to it if you like the sweeter taste of, say, Miracle Whip.

Interested? Let me know and I'll get it for you.

Hes

Scotsman
Sun, Jan-20-02, 14:11
Hi McAvana, :cool:

In the UK foodstuff labels are given to one decimal place. The Helmans Mayo sold here will be the same stuff as you are using:

Helmans Mayo: 1 tablespoon has 110 Kcals, 0.2g Protein, 0.2g Carbohydrate, 11.9g Fat and 0.0g of fibre.

I love the stuff myself and use great large spoonfuls on my salads. I have never found any low-carb problem/stall to be due to it. Enjoy.

Yours aye, Scotsman :wiggle:

cori
Sun, Jan-20-02, 16:13
I would love your recipe. I love deviled eggs, but only with Miracle Whip. So something that tasted like that would be godsend!

ezandreth
Sun, Jan-20-02, 16:22
what a timely thread! By an amazing coincidence, I have had a couple of goes this weekend at making home-made mayo, having o.'d on Helman's. I consulted various recipes and tried once with a hand-held blender and once with a wooden spoon. The blender version - the egg curdled. The hand-made version just would not thicken. I cheated in the end and mixed a couple of spoonfuls of Helman's in with it with a fork and that seemed to help a little but it was still pretty runny.
DH then came and had a try. He obviously has the knack because his looked almost like whipped cream in consistency but a muddy colour due to having added balsamic vinegar. Unfortunately, although I tried to tell him our marriage vows were "love, honour and make mayonnaise for", he's quite sure he never said that...
I'd be interested to know how others have got on, if anyone else tries this.
Zanny

Hestia
Mon, Jan-21-02, 21:41
Hi, everybody! Here's the mayo recipe I was talking about. It's easy and it's pretty darn tasty:

2 eggs, room temp
2 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-1/4 c. virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt (table salt will do, of course)
(I add 1 or 2 pkts of Equal)

Combine all ingredients except oil in blender at high speed for 1 min. Slowly add oil. Store in glass jar in icebox.

Try it...it's not too bad. And it's creamy and pretty!

doreen T
Mon, Jan-21-02, 22:49
I find that adding 1 tsp dijon mustard, and a dash of onion powder along with the egg & lemon juice before adding the oil makes it even more Miracle Whip-like.

Doreen

IslandGirl
Tue, Jan-22-02, 02:22
Just to be persnickety, one might have a better time searching for the mayonnaise if it's spelled correctly, a la Hellman's or Best Foods Real Mayonnaise. In the US, one name in the Western bits and one name in the Eastern bits. In Canada it's both, that is: Hellman's Best Foods Real Mayonnaise. Decisive bunch :D

Incidentally, our nutrition counts are to the 10th of a gram here in Canada, too.

missymagoo
Sun, Apr-02-06, 17:56
what type virgen olive oil? sue