PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Corn Flakes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nancy LC
Fri, Jul-14-06, 09:26
I got crazy last night with a bag of unsweetened coconut flakes I had. I've been playing with them off and on for awhile. Last night's experiment was... make them crispy and crunchy.

So I made a syrup of polyd and Erythritol and water (I didn't measure, just guessed) and dumped the big coconut flakes into that and cook it until most of the water was gone. Then I dumped it out onto a pan and spread it out. I baked it in the oven at 300 (which was really too hot, it got a bit too brown). I let it cool then.

The coconut flakes weren't as sweet or as salty as I should have gotten them. But they tasted a lot like corn flakes, with a little more chewiness. They had a nice crunchiness to them.

It was a fun experiment!

IslandGirl
Fri, Jul-14-06, 10:35
I got crazy last night with a bag of unsweetened coconut flakes I had. I've been playing with them off and on for awhile. Last night's experiment was... make them crispy and crunchy.

So I made a syrup of polyd and Erythritol and water (I didn't measure, just guessed) and dumped the big coconut flakes into that and cook it until most of the water was gone. Then I dumped it out onto a pan and spread it out. I baked it in the oven at 300 (which was really too hot, it got a bit too brown). I let it cool then.

The coconut flakes weren't as sweet or as salty as I should have gotten them. But they tasted a lot like corn flakes, with a little more chewiness. They had a nice crunchiness to them.

It was a fun experiment!

This is intriguing (and the basic granola method minus oil...I think). Did you get a pic before you ate it all up? ;)

:wave:

Nancy LC
Fri, Jul-14-06, 12:04
Uh no... I never think to photograph food. :p Except for trifles, those I always photograph, they're so pretty. :D

Granola! What a great idea. With some sliced almonds, dried berries, that might be rather good! Oh... ginger granola.

It reminded me slightly of brittle, at least the baked on polyd/E stuff did. Or those cookies, can't think of what they're called.

zorra_1
Fri, Jul-14-06, 15:22
Now this sounds like something I must try...seeing as how for once I have every single one of those ingredients handy! :lol:

DBrown8614
Sun, Jul-16-06, 14:56
This sounds fabulous! :D I have two bags in the freezer that I have been wanting to do something with..... just nothing hit the spot til now! ;)

Thank you!

IslandGirl
Sun, Jul-16-06, 17:27
It reminded me slightly of brittle, at least the baked on polyd/E stuff did. Or those cookies, can't think of what they're called.

pralines? um, uh, hey! brandysnaps!

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/media/brandysnap.jpg
or better yet...
http://tre.ngfl.gov.uk/uploads/materials/6234/brandysnap.jpg

bwaaaa haaaaa haaaaa!

:wave::devil:

Nancy LC
Mon, Jul-17-06, 08:22
I'll have to look in Trader Joe's, I had them once from there. The base of the cookie is sugar and butter which gets like toffee, thin, crispy with a bit of chew. It is a bit like pralines but they're thinner and crunchier.

I made more coconut crunchies. This time I used more sweetener and more salt. I put them on top of the Mango & Pineapple & coconut milk sorbet I made. Fabulous!

They were really good even before I baked them. Made a marvelous topping for ice cream.

I got some pecan pieces, sliced almonds and sunflower seeds. I'll have to try this technique on them.

4beans4me
Mon, Jul-17-06, 09:13
Are they lace cookies Nancy?

http://a444.g.akamai.net/7/444/703/20010810214910/www.marthastewart.com/images/content/recipe/cooki_00263_t.jpg

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe1249&search=true&resultNo=1

ProfGumby
Mon, Jul-17-06, 09:37
pralines? um, uh, hey! brandysnaps!

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/media/brandysnap.jpg
or better yet...
http://tre.ngfl.gov.uk/uploads/materials/6234/brandysnap.jpg

bwaaaa haaaaa haaaaa!

:wave::devil:

Um, island girl, those look fantastic.....what are they or where could a guy find a recipe?

Nancy LC
Mon, Jul-17-06, 09:41
Ok, just saw the picture of Brandy snaps, if you were to take the outside of it and flatten it out, drizzle chocolate over that, it would be the cookie I'm thinking of, although I think the chocolate might be optional.

Yeah, lace cookies, but I think they have another name too.

PlayDoh
Wed, Jul-19-06, 17:00
i know exactly what kind of cookie you mean nancy, but i don't know what it is called, similar to oatmeal lace cookies right? i was just browsing a brandy snap recipe, it should be doable. a have about 15 other recipes to try first though lol. do ya'll keep a llist of what recipe to try next? i always have a list going.

i had played around with the coconut when i made the coconutty crunch on linda's site. i had made a syrup of poly d plus, vanilla davinchi and water. i could have left out the water. it gave the coconut just the chewiness it ought to have and it keeps just like store bought presweetened coconut, no spoilage. my coconutty crunch didn't come out looking at all like linda's though, mine had much more coconut in it. it makes a great cereal craving killer. unfortunately, the only coconut i can buy around here is very small pieces, finely grated rather than medium. i got an even better results with the last bake sheet of coconutty crunch in that batch by mixing in a little joseph's sugar free aple syrup. it turned the whole thing much crunchier and more cereal like. if i hadn't added the joseph's after the fact, i think it would have been more granola like and in bigger pieces. i haven't made any more because i deviated so far from the recipe, i don't know if i could do it again :lol: tastes great with a bit of heavy cream. my cousin uses it to top her ice cream. anyway, just thought i'd share :D

IslandGirl
Fri, Jul-21-06, 22:22
Um, island girl, those look fantastic.....what are they or where could a guy find a recipe?

Hey, Prof, they're brandysnaps! :devil: :lol: :devil:

At least, that's what MY mom called them, and Nancy, they can be rolled into a tube and filled, or a horn/cornet shape (as in 4beans4me's image) and often filled in that shape, too, or left flat and eaten plain or drizzled with chocolate, as you recall. Truly a candy in a cookie shape...

They have a lot of names. Pralines, Lace Cookies, Brandysnaps (filled with brandied cream), sliced almonds sprinkled on while still warm, tarted up in a lot of ways ;), etc. Lots of names, lots of cultures have borrowed these. The original made with brown sugar and butter and just enough flour (or ground nuts, even more so) to help them cling together a bit...

I'd like to know what you know them as; had a chance to swing by Trader Joe's and have a look?

:wave:

kevinpa
Fri, Jul-21-06, 22:40
hmmmm, that sound sort of like these polyd nut cookies I made a while back.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=280970

Nancy LC
Mon, Jul-24-06, 10:30
Ah, I looked while I was in Trader Joe's. They are called "Lace cookies". I wonder if they could be made without wheat.

Nancy LC
Mon, Jul-24-06, 10:33
unfortunately, the only coconut i can buy around here is very small pieces, finely grated rather than medium. i got an even better results with the last bake sheet of coconutty crunch in that batch by mixing in a little joseph's sugar free aple syrup.
I found a nice, large bag of what I'd call "shaved coconut", large flakes, from Bob's Red Mill. It was in my local Wildoats store, kind of a HFS place.

I also bought some pecan pieces, sliced almonds and sunflower seeds. I'm thinking... granola.

I just need to figure out how to "candy" my fresh ginger.