PDA

View Full Version : SomerSweet and a recipe for quiche with spinach

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Babs
Sat, Jan-05-02, 05:03
Kristy,

Also search for 'fritatta" instead of quiche. Fritattas are much like quiche, made with egg, cheese and so many other ingredients including spinach, but have no pie crust. Often the recipe calls for milk but I have found water works just fine if you add an extra egg and a bit more cheese.

Babs
Sat, Jan-05-02, 05:08
Kirsty, this recipe is from my Favourite Recipe Sites bookmarks! Spinach can easily be substituted for asparagus

Serves - 4, Preparation time - 15 minutes

Ingredients

16 stalks wild asparagus, or the usual variety
butter
olive oil
8 large free-range eggs
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
4 tablespoons cream
salt and pepper

Method

Preheat the oven to 180º C (350º F)

Trim and wash the asparagus and cut into small pieces. Fry in butter and a touch of olive oil, gently until soft. Use a pan that you can place in the oven.

Crack the eggs into a bowl, and mix with parmesan cheese, cream, salt, and pepper. When well mixed pour over the asparagus. Stir gently with a fork over a low flame - be careful not to damage the bottom of your pan - until you see the bottom of the fritatta beginning to form.

At this point place the pan in the oven where the fritatta will cook in about 10 minutes, try not to overcook. Remove from the oven, run a spatula around the edges of the pan, tip it upside-down on a tray and then upside-down again onto a suitable plate.

All fritattas can be done in this manner. Make sure that you prepare the base properly. Cook it well so that you get a maximum integration of flavours.

IslandGirl
Sun, Jan-06-02, 21:02
Kirsty and Babs, just in the interests of tidiness, I've moved the quiche & frittata recipes back in to the Kitchen from the Products page.

Foolishly, I failed to edit the thread title first to indicate the updated subject and am hoping a local Moderator :D will do that...

The original Somersweet enquiry is still back in Products.

{ mutter grumble mid-life brain damage on my part mutter grumble }