PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Island Dressing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cyndiboo
Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:22
My husband will only eat Thousand Island dressing, does anyone have a low carb recipe for it? Thanks again, Cyndiboo

doreen T
Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:59
Here's the edited recipe after making changes (original recipe was from the Atkins cook book)

Low-carb Thousand Island Dressing

3 scallions, chopped
1 kosher dill pickle, chopped
¼ cup roasted red pepper, chopped
1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
1 Tbsp tomato paste
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp tarragon vinegar
3 Tbsp mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate to blend flavours.

entire recipe yields: calories - 792; fat - 79g; carbs - 16g / fiber 4g; 4g protein - 9g

per Tbsp serving would be: 39.6 calories, 3.9g fat, 0.8g total carbs, 0.2g fiber ... so 0.6g effective carbs per 1 Tbsp serving.

Doreen

Karen
Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:15
Whoa! The doc is going all out with the tomatoes! ;)

I would change the recipe to use tomato paste instead of the tomato. It would be thicker, more like a traditional 1000 Islands. FYI tomato paste has about 3 EC's per Tbsp.

Karen

doreen T
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:23
Yes, it sounds like a lot of tomato, but considering the recipe makes 20 portions, it's not too bad.

Actually, I was thinking that roasted red pepper would be nice ... give a balance of sweetness plus the desired pink colour ... ¼ cup chopped would be 2g effective carbs (4g total, minus 2g fiber).

Doreen

Karen
Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:50
That sounds good. A combo of red pepper and tomato paste would give a good balance of sweet and tart. I would also chuck in a grated, hard cooked egg and cut the scallions down to half.

Karen