PDA

View Full Version : Pickled Eggs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kentid2k
Sun, Dec-10-00, 09:46
I would like to suggest a culinary delight that seems to have escaped the Low Carb snack arsenal. The " Pickled Egg "!!

Virtually carbohydrate free and can be tasty. The typical pickled egg is OK but with some experimentation you can come up with some real treats.

I have substituted a little of the vinegar in the making of pickled eggs with red wine. It is a nice touch. There is a subtle change in flavour and the outer layer of the egg turns pinkish red. Throw in some fresh garlic and peppercorns and they are "Happening!"

Also, you don't have to eat them as just an egg. You can make some real gourmet treats simply by cutting them lengthwise carefully, removing the yolk ( as to make devilled eggs ) and mix mashed brocolli (leftovers excellent here) into the yolk, a touch of mayonaise and a dash of tabasco sauce for the brave taste! Spoon the mixture back into the cavity of the white section and voila, you have Pink Pickled Devilled Eggs. ( Say that five times fast!) Tastes great. Just think, pickled eggs and broccoli, sounds so disgusting you just know it has to taste good.

Are there any other good ideas out there for pickled eggs?

doreen T
Sun, Dec-10-00, 11:03
Hi Ken,

Funny you should mention pickled eggs, since I've had a hankering for some time now. Only problem, I don't have a container big enough for a whole dozen. Anyone who loves pickled eggs knows you don't just make 6!!

Never thought about the wine, great idea. One thing I remember reading is to put a couple large bay leaves into the pickling liquid also. For flavour, but also cuts the "sulfur" tang, and improves digestibility.

Too bad they didn't make lowcarb beer. Then we'd be set - pickled eggs, beer and Hockey Night in Canada.

Doreen

doreen T
Sun, Dec-10-00, 15:09
A real easy "recipe" is to use the leftover liquid from a jar of dill pickles. Instead of pitching it out, submerge hard-boiled eggs in it. Make sure the eggs are completely covered by the liquid, leave for 3 days, then devour. I would even add a few whole cloves of peeled garlic just for excitement.

Doreen

Karen
Sun, Dec-10-00, 16:46
Adding 2 tsp. of curry powder to the basic pickling liquid will give a mild curry flavour and golden yellow glow. Or, how about adding a few tablespoons of prepared horseradish?

Karen

kentid2k
Sun, Dec-10-00, 16:50
I use small eggs when I pickle and I can get 12 eggs into a 1 litre pickle jar. It's packed but it fits.

Ken T.

papa deuce
Tue, May-20-14, 21:49
Add some chipotles in adobo sauce to your basic recipe. Yum.

sexym2
Wed, May-21-14, 07:47
I pickle eggs in the summer when the hens are laying heavy and I don't have enough buyers. We use them for salads, cut them up in potatoe salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, anything you need an egg and some pickle flavor. Plus they are precooked so you don't have to think about making them in advance.

Nancy LC
Wed, May-21-14, 08:24
How long do they keep?

papa deuce
Wed, May-21-14, 09:00
How long do they keep?

Weeks in the fridge, at least.

Nancy LC
Wed, May-21-14, 09:40
Hmm... sounds like I need to try this!

Robin120
Wed, May-21-14, 13:37
I have seen these many times while traveling by amish farmer's market- been curious for awhile- i LOVE pickled and love hard boiled eggs.....might have to try them :thup:

papa deuce
Thu, May-22-14, 02:32
I have seen these many times while traveling by amish farmer's market- been curious for awhile- i LOVE pickled and love hard boiled eggs.....might have to try them :thup:

don't be afraid to experiment....... so many variations. :)

sexym2
Thu, May-22-14, 08:01
Months in the fridge, as long as they are covered in the brine. Its a no-no but I can my pickled eggs, its been a year and I'm working on my last jar that I canned up and they are a little rubbery from cooking then being recooked in the canner but I'm not sick so no bad bacteria.

deb34
Thu, Jul-31-14, 13:29
for some reason pickled eggs scare me...does the flavour penetrate to the yolk or does it just sit on the outside of the white?