PDA

View Full Version : Beverage - tofu shakes/smoothies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

alto
Thu, Dec-06-01, 22:24
Once upon a time, the Tofu People were in my grocery store, offering samples of tofu smoothies made with tofu and frozen strawberries (and, I suppose, water). It was wonderful -- but I didn't get the recipe. (You couldn't taste the tofu. You wouldn't have known there was tofu in it if they hadn't told you.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on proportions, or have a tofu shake recipe? It would seem that that would have enough protein to be a substitute for protein power????

IslandGirl
Fri, Dec-07-01, 12:49
Buy a block of soft Tofu (not Dessert Tofu that's been sweetened), lowest carb you can find. Usually about 6 ounces or 340grams in size.

Quarter it and throw in the blender (or food processor).
Add about the same amount (1 Cup or so) of your favourite frozen LC Berry (Strawberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry), unsweetened of course.

Turn on the gizmo and add filtered water (1/4 to 1/2 Cup or more) until the gizmo contents are the right thickness for you (optional, 1/4 Cup of your favourite Sugarfree Syrup).

Pour out (should get 2 large servings) and add flavourings and sweetener to taste, e.g., Splenda or Liquid SuperRose or Liquid SugarTwin or Stevia or whatever you use, and maybe Cinnamon or Vanilla Extract or Strawberry Extract or ?

Optional: flaxseed meal, psyllium husks, flaxseed oil, protein powder, greens powder, etc. etc.

Give that a shot.

alto
Fri, Dec-07-01, 13:26
Thank you very much -- I will try that this weekend. (In strawberry or raspberry.) I almost just tried tofu and water, but having some proportions work.

Dumb question, IslandGirl, if I may. You said this should make two servings. Will the second serving keep in the fridge for a day?
(Keep as in not rot, but also not separate, or taste funny?)

THANK YOU!