PDA

View Full Version : Lo Carb Bread Questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Victoria
Tue, Dec-04-01, 19:18
Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread114.html
HI.
Two questions on this lo carb bread: 1. where do you buy "gluten" flour?
2. Can you just grind up oatmeal to make oat flour, or do you have to buy "oat" flour?
Thank you, This almost sounds too good to be true. :rolleyes: Victoria

canamer
Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:07
I found this recipe as well and thought WOW...I'm going to make that!

Went to a health food store that carries tons of bulk products. Bought gluten flour and oat flour (no need to grind!) Then I came home and tried to check carb counts (just in case). I'd really like to ask this person how they got their carb counts because the book I look in said 23 for 1/2 cup of oat flour!!!!!!!!!!

The numbers just don't click so I'll do more research before I try it!

Kati

canamer
Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:31
May have found my error........ FIBER!!!!!!!!! Forgot about subtracting out fiber. DUH!

Kay
Tue, Mar-05-02, 11:41
Vital Wheat gluten flour - Bob's Red Mill brand should be easy to find, but I also buy it in bulk.

I never buy oat flour. I just grind up oatmeal as I need it.

A word of advice - apparently, you are not supposed to let gluten flour dough rise more than once because it just won't work as well the second time. You need to bake it after the first rising.

cyntreed
Sun, Jun-29-03, 16:21
This bread was quick and easy. I had the ingrediants on hand so I threw them in the bread machine. While the taste of the bread was bland and chewy, it certainly held my tuna on it quite nicely. Also, since once piece is so large, cutting it in half for the 4 carbs was quite simple. Lately, I have been craving carbs like mad. Now, I have a simple soultion.

RachelSK
Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:45
This sounds great! Does anyone know if it's acceptable on Induction Phase of Atkins? I don't think we're supposed to have grains. Is oatflour a grain-I would think so but...I'm still a little new at this :rolleyes:. thanks.

RachelSK
<><

Maren Stoy
Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:11
Hi,

I'm a newcomer and I only have tried one loaf of lc bread and it was not good so I have three questions!
1) When you say to use sugar do you mean SF sugar substitute or the real thing?
2) On the oat flour, I bought Oat Bran--can this be used instead or should I purchase oat flour?
3) Can the whole thing be made in a bread machine or should it be baked in the oven?

Thanks.

Maren

NZKiwiana
Sun, Sep-28-03, 01:03
I made that bread tonight in the bread maker, turned out great, TY for sharing, You have made me one happy girl. Can't buy Atkins bread here in NZ and the only lo carb bread I have found is $13.95 a loaf and $9.00 to post so now I can make my own. Thanx again

Theresa3
Tue, Jan-06-04, 10:20
No bread on Atkins during Induction. Only whats on the acceptable foods list on his site.

How would you do the above receipe without a bread machine? I can live without bread but hubby can not.

moses
Sat, Jan-10-04, 08:16
Of all the low carb recipies, i like this one the best

Any confirmation on the carb count tho?

Also, any suggestions for variations of this recipe?

tastes kinda bland without being drenched in butter =P