PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

peteglv
Fri, Nov-30-01, 14:00
Hello everyone. Can anyone recomend some good low-carb alcoholic drinks?

doreen T
Sat, Dec-01-01, 09:47
I see in your profile that you're past the initial Induction weeks of Atkins ... otherwise I'd say alcohol is a no-no.

In DANDR, Atkins cautions that alcohol will put fat-burning on hold, since the liver will convert alcohol readily to ketones. In other words, the alcohol will become the preferred fuel, and until it's out of your system, fat-burning will stop. On the other hand, pure alcohol doesn't store as fat or glycogen (although any carbs consumed with it will be).

Be aware also, since the liver is already in ketone-producing mode, that alcohol will be broken down more rapidly than before ... it'll hit you harder and faster.

That being said, distilled spirits are zero carb ... whisky, gin, vodka, rum. Make sure the mixer is sugar-free and zero carb. Very dry wines also have a mere trace of carbs per 5 oz glass. Obviously, sweet wines, sherry, liqueurs etc are way too high in carbs to consider. Beer is way high in carbs too ... although I understand that light beer is somewhat lower. Miller Lite is supposed to be 3 carbs per can.

Doreen