PDA

View Full Version : Daily Menu Thread Weds 11/21

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

essjay
Tue, Nov-20-01, 23:56
Post your menus here! Enter either what you ate yesterday or what you plan to eat today. Please let's give newbies and oldbies some good "food for thought" and ideas.

HELP THE CAUSE!!!!Don't keep your good ideas to yourself!

Me: Plan: Atkins (gearing up to do CKD)
Phase: Went off low carb for a day so I'm going to do Induction for a while
Variation: I try to do 5-6 small meals a day to keep metabolism up and insulin steady

Meal One: omelet with cheese and crumbled bacon
Meal Two: chicken breast, small side salad
Meal Three: hamburger with onion
Meal Four: chicken ceasar salad
Meal Five: atkins vanilla shake

Elihnig
Wed, Nov-21-01, 17:42
Tuesday

I did a mostly meat day to make up for the carbs I had eaten over the weekend.

Breakfast 4 sausage with water and supplements

Lunch Leftover steak from the night before's supper, water

Supper: Hamburger with mustard and some dill pickle slices, water. (And No I Didn't Have Any Ketchup On IT!) (I wanted to though)

Wednesday

I originally cooked 3 eggs but my daughter wanted some so I shared. (with a little ketchup.) Water and supplements.

Lunch rather late for me, it was a half day of school so I waited until I got out of school, did shopping and banking and got home before I ate. I had a greek salad from the store and put Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar salad dressing on it. I tried to give the hot peppers to my husband but he didn't want them. I also had about 4 slices of deli ham to go with it.

Then I started cooking. I made low-carb pumpkin pie, then I made the low-carb chocolate covered "cherries" that I found in the recipe section, though this time I made 4 small batches of 4 oz. each with 4 different flavors of sugar free jello. Colorful! I also made ham and goat cheese roll ups that I cut into sections and put colored toothpicks through them to hold them together while I drive 4 hours tomorrow to my family's house. I of course sampled and taste tested everything!

Supper, since we're probably going to be eating turkey for days (weeks) after Thanksgiving, I bought steak for supper and we ate that. (My husband had a ham sandwich, he's steaked out apparently.)

I also sampled my whipped cream made with splenda and a little cinnamin in it as I spooned it onto the pumpkin pie, and I sprinkled that last bits of almonds on top and had a few crumbs myself.

I noticed that I had almost 100 oz. of water today. I didn't have time to finish my 25 oz. with breakfast, I got about 16 oz. of it down, then I had 25 oz. at the time I should have had lunch, and 25 oz. when I did have lunch and 25 oz. when I had supper. I really can't drink more water after 7:00 p.m. though, I have to get up once in the night as it is!

See you!

Elihnig

AngelaR
Wed, Nov-21-01, 18:28
Won't share all the gorey details, but will share the new things I discovered while trying to add more fat into my meals

1. Deviled egg with avocado. Mash an ounce of very ripe avocado in with the yolks for 2 deviled eggs. The resulting eggs are a little on the green side, but it adds about 50 calories, and only 1.2 carbs

2. Creamy avocado dill dip/dressing. 2 ounces of very ripe avocado mashed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a very smooth runny paste. Then add 1/2 cup mayo (Hellman's), another tablespoon of oil, dill to taste, and optionall 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Stir will with a fork until smooth. It makes 3/4 cup and the counts for 1 tablesoon are Cal 95, Protein .1, Fat 10.4, Carbs .5. I dropped 2 tablespoons of this on top of leftover asparagus-bacon-cheese-bake mixed with leftover roasted ham cut into cubes.

3. Dinner was the best I've had so far. Atlantic salmon fillet pan fried with a few mushrooms in lemon garlic butter. Cooked brussel sprouts were tossed in the pan drippings u ntil well coated then served as the veggie.

4. Right now the oven is cooking up a big pan full of LC cabbage rolls - my regular recipe minus the rice and ketchup in the meat (2 eggs instead) and with diluted stewed tomatoes on top ( 1 can stewed tomates and 1 can water) We don't really like the tomato sauce when we eat then, but the cabbage rolls need the moisture to cook, so iI always dilute the stewed tomatos.

nsmith4366
Wed, Nov-21-01, 18:44
breakfast
2 eggs

Lunch
Roastbeef/mayo

Dinner
Chicken/asparagus, small salad/mayo

Carbs = 10 tops

AngelaR
Thu, Nov-22-01, 05:06
You've made wonderful progress to date. Congratulations!!!!

Just a curious question. How are you managing with the carbs and the veggies? I notice you don't have a lot of veggies in your plans, other than salads. It's obviously working for you.

When I look at what you eat compared to the mountains of food I'm eating, it just makes me wonder. Everybody's body adjusts differently, so it's kind of hard to compare. Do you get hungry?

essjay
Thu, Nov-22-01, 10:23
My veggies are usually salads and green beans. Green Giant makes fabulous french cut with almonds beans and good regular frozen beans as well. Because I usually load my plate with them, I feel like I get a lot of bang for the buck. I cover the bottom of the plate usually once a day (not yesterday but that was rare) and then cover with strips of chicken or a cut up chicken breast.
I find that one green salad a day, one mixed salad a day and one meal with green beans fulfills my veggie requirements.

I try to eat six small meals a day. For me, I have a lot of trouble getting in the sixth meal because I'm never hungry (no carbs plus small, frequent meals = stepped up metabolism and no hunger) Starting on Monday I'll be actually counting up my protein/carb/fat grams a while to go on CKD. Because I'm returning to weight training, I'll be more conscientious about my intake AND make sure I get in that sixth meal. Very important. It's also important to eat every 2-3 houirs and I have to be more conscientious about that too. Sometimes I get into the 4 hour stretch and I throw everything off.

Chele
Thu, Nov-22-01, 17:05
I so wish I could eat 3- small meals a day as nsmith does! I would starve to death. It seems like when I eat, the more I want to eat. Today(thanksgiving) was kind of hard for me. I'm not used to eating in moderation, but actually got up from the table without feeling stuffed! I was pretty proud of myself-I don't think I've EVER done that before! Healthy body here I come!
Chele :D

essjay
Thu, Nov-22-01, 20:04
Good for you. I did "okay" too. Small meals are good for you but they should be no less than 5 and frequent (every 2-3 hours) otherwise your body thinks its starving and the metabolism slows down. When you go through years of that, you develop an immunity to "diets" and reduced calorie/carbs. It really takes a toll after many years of doing it. To keep the fire stoked (the metabolism high and the fat burning at full kilter) you NEED to eat and grazing is best.

Chele
Thu, Nov-22-01, 21:18
This WOE is making me realize things I never paid attention to before. Tonight when all the rest of my family was picking at the turkey and fixin's, just out of habit I grabbed a bowl, scooped some dressing into it (it was low carb, though!)and was going to eat it. And it just donned on me that I wasn't even hungry and that I was going to eat because everyone else was. It's going to take awhile to change my eating habits, but I think I'm one the right track. This is the worst time of the year to adjust eating habits, but if we can make it through the holidays, I think we can make it through just about anything! Kudos to us!!
Chele :spin: