PDA

View Full Version : Daily Menu Thread Tues 11/20

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

essjay
Tue, Nov-20-01, 00:55
Post your menus here! Enter either what you ate yesterday or what you plan to eat today. Please let's give newbies and oldbies some good "food for thought" and ideas.

HELP THE CAUSE!!!!Don't keep your good ideas to yourself!

Me: Plan: Atkins (gearing up to do CKD)
Phase: Went off low carb for a day so I'm going to do Induction for a while
Variation: I try to do 5-6 small meals a day to keep metabolism up and insulin steady

Meal One: sliced up sausage mixed with onion....topped with one egg over easy and cheese melted over that
Meal Two: small turkey burger, small side salad
Meal Three: Buffalo wings, blu cheese dressing and celery
Meal Four: chicken breast broiled --brushed with olive oil garlic salt and pepper, over a bed of french cut green beans.
Meal Five: Egg custard (regular egg custard recipe, replace milk with cream and water and sugar with splenda...top with nutmeg)

Babs
Tue, Nov-20-01, 02:10
I don't know WHAT went on today!

I have been totally starving all day for some reason and snacked I dunno, 10 times?

'Breakfast' was some tuna, still hungry so a poached egg, still hungry so an individual cheddar cheese serve.

(Hint: Our supermarket sells these perfect 20gram in weight individuals of cheddar, blue, edam, smoked cheese, cheese sticks. I keep a bowl of them in the fridge, right smack in front of me as I open the door. I get hungry and say, hmmmm what to eat, what to eat?, open the fridge and there they are reminding me what to eat.)

Later I had to put my bowl of macadamias away because I kept reaching for those and had passed my daily limit by 11am.

Lunch was warmed up tofu curry, still hungry so a bit more, still hungry so back to the cheese and a few pieced of pickled cauli.

I had to go out for a few hours so luckily I was away from the fridge for a while.

Back home and I am hungry. No, no more nuts. A bit of tuna instead with a green salad - I must need fibre, I am thinking. Still hungry, a piece of smoked cheese and the other wing off of the roast chicken that I bought yesterday.

I like to cook my curries ahead of time so here I am preparing tomorrow's dinner. Cubed beef for vindaloo searing in the pan. Hmmmm might have to try that for flavour and seasoning. Oh yes, that tastes real good, another bite, another.

Preparing the cabbage for tonight's meal.... nothing wrong with nibbling on raw cabbage, and by the way, where are those bloody nuts??

Now, let's see how that corned beef for dinner tonight is coming along. Slice off a piece to taste, perfect but just to be sure....

I had to drag myself out of the kitchen and come in here and type this for fear I would keep on eating!

And I am still looking forward to tonight's dinner.

Yikes! This has never happened before!

essjay
Tue, Nov-20-01, 10:40
"grazing" is actually better for insulin/metabolism than eating 3 large meals a day. As long as you don't exceed your daily limits of carbs, "snacking" all day is actually a preferable way of eating for maximum fat loss.

Lessara
Tue, Nov-20-01, 11:50
I decided to join you all so I can see if my eating is why I'm stalling.

Breakfast: Double serving of Cream of Riccatta
(1/2 cup riccatta, egg, cream, vanilla, tbsp butter,
2 splenda packets, shake of cinnamon)

Midmorning: 8oz Coffee with cream and an equal packet.

Lunch: I ordered out :D
I had a salad with: lettuce, cucumber, asparagus, carmalized onion (alittle), feta cheese, lemon pepper chicken and basil oil and vinager. (Called a Vienna Salad from Cafe 324) They doubled the chicken for me! Oh is it soooo gooood!!! :yum:

I drink two liters of water during the day and never eat an afternoon snack. Today being no exception :p

Dinner: I'm making Cubed Steak and Mushrooms with
Broccoflower for the veggie.

I drink two liters at home

Hows that? :)

Sh'ra
Tue, Nov-20-01, 16:18
Lessara,
You may be getting some "hidden carbs" in that take-out. My parents have owned two restaurants since I have been growing up, and in one, we made lemon-pepper chicken, for both stand-alone meals and salads. It ain't just lemon and pepper - there is some sugar there. The carmelized onions, small or not, could give you nearly all the carb content you should have for a day.

Also, I don't know about you, but even equal or other sugars trigger my cravings just like sugar. What's in basil oil? I've never had that.

Anyway, hope this helps (and you don't shoot me for ruining your great Vienna salad :( ). You may be getting a lot more hidden carbs than you think.

Sh'ra

curvy
Tue, Nov-20-01, 17:16
For Leesara:

Be very careful of ricotta cheese--it's REALLY carby...remember, ricotta sometimes contains trace amounts of sugar and starch, which can easily stall you....vanilla and cinnamon also contain countable carbs and vanilla particularly,may contain sugar... Cheese alone may stall you if you consume too much....Atkin's in particular recommends only 4 oz per day....

What is your carb count at? With the mixture of the cheese, condiments and all the veggies, you could be on the high end...

:bhug:

essjay
Tue, Nov-20-01, 23:53
cheese + equal + take out could stall you.

The cafeteria at school makes a chicken ceasar to die for but I seem to stall if I eat it more than 2x per week. My suspicion is that it contains sugar. I think it's best to make my own.

Babs
Wed, Nov-21-01, 00:02
I got taken in by a new Chinese takeaway. I had ordered the Chinese omelette, egg foo yung?, and got home only to discover there was this VERY sweet sauce that could only be honey-based on one side. I tried to eat around it, hate to waste anything!

But next time I went in, I said very nicely, the omelette was delicious but do you think I could have it with no sauce this time, I like it just as it is. The lady was happy to oblige.

It never hurts to ask.

nancyb
Wed, Nov-21-01, 09:44
I wasn't hungry yesterday morning and didn't eat until 130pm. I had a boneless chicken breast with 1 slice melted Swiss and a little broccoli. At 8pm I was starving and ate 2 huge filet mignon. Expensive, but hit the spot. Did do my water and supplements.

nsmith4366
Wed, Nov-21-01, 18:42
Breakfast -
Eggs......2

12:30pm (not very hungry)
1/2 pound Buffalo Burger - mayo & flaxseed.

3pm Buffalo Burger snack in car

7pm Chicken and brocolli at Bennigans restaurant/very low carb friendly!

Carbs = About 10