PDA

View Full Version : Pie Crust Recipie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gpop529
Mon, Nov-19-01, 08:48
Does anyone have a recipie for pie crust using pork rinds?

Natrushka
Mon, Nov-19-01, 09:07
Terri, I use Karen's crust recipe for her no bake vancover cheese cake (http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe049.html) , its delicious (toasted almonds, butter and sugar twin). If you're looking for a non-sweet crust though I don't think it will work.

Nat

gpop529
Mon, Nov-19-01, 09:23
This would be for a fluffy whipped chocolate and pistachio pie using instant sugar free pudding and whipping cream :D
I dont have access to soy flour or sugar twin. No splenda either, just sweet n low dry form.

Natrushka
Mon, Nov-19-01, 09:28
Yum, sounds great. you must share the recipe with us!

The pie crust that Karen came up with would work then. Just make enough to get it up the sides of the pan. The cheesecake calls for one used in a spring form pan. I've used it though for her pumpkin chiffon pie and it was wonderful.

Nat

p.s. the link i provided goes to the recipe, the ingredients for the crust are just the nuts ground up, splenda and some butter. I make this often and is fast and easy.

gpop529
Mon, Nov-19-01, 09:35
Ingredients for Crust:
1/2 Cup almond flour
1/4 Cup macadamia nut flour
1/4 Cup pecan meal
1/4 Cup Splenda® or Sweet-N-Low®
1 Pkt Sweet-N-Low® or Cyclamate (mixing sweeteners gives a sweeter, synergistic effect!)
4 Tbsp butter - melted

Natrushka
Mon, Nov-19-01, 10:17
It should work. I don't imagine you're going to be cooking your pie? The pink stuff doesnt withstand the heat. While the crust calls for the butter to be heated and then the nuts and sugar added if you add the sugar last when things are cooler it should be great.

Happy baking.
Nat

gpop529
Mon, Nov-19-01, 11:00
Mock Apple Crisp
Ingredients:
Approx 16 oz diced zucchini *
3 cups sugar-free apple cider mix
(This means 1 pkt of the dry mix made with water to be 3 cups liquid.)
1 Tablespoon Splenda®
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup pecan meal (or coarse almond meal)
3/4 cup Splenda®
2 teaspoons Brown Sugar Twin® *
1 Tablespoon melted butter
2 teaspoons sugarfree vanilla extract
cinnamon to taste

Combine zucchini and liquid (pre-made) cider mix in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until zucchini is translucent (about 1 hour) - at this point the zucchini will have taken on the taste of apples. (Zuchinni have little of their own flavor and are willing to mimic other tastes with a bit of prodding. They will look and smell like them too!)

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Remove from heat and place in well buttered baking dish. Mix 1 Tablespoon Splenda and xanthan gum and quickly and evenly stir into zucchini. In separate bowl, mix pecan meal and 3/4 cup Splenda. Add Brown Sugar Twin. Stir into melted butter and add extract. Spread over top of zucchini and sprinkle cinnamon as desired. Bake 15-20 min. or until top is brown and mixture is bubbly!

Makes 6 servings. 5 carbs per serving.

* Allow enough zuchinni so that you can discard the center "seeded" parts - they keep the dish from mimicing apples. The best way to prepare the zuchinni is to peel well, slice in half. Then stand each half on its flat end and cut downward to edge of seeded center, turning a quarter turn each time so you have four strips of zuchinni flesh without seeds. Repeat for all zuchinni and discard seed centers and peelings. Then dice zuchinni flesh into cubes that look just like diced apples.

* Canadian Brown Sugar Twin tastes better than the American (saccharin) version.

Note: This dish is good both hot and cold (and you'll see it's different both ways) and is great served with a dollop of fresh whipped cream, a splash of cold liquid cream, or served next to a scoop of low-carb vanilla ice cream.

Kathie36
Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:27
I made the no-bake cheesecake and the filling was good but the crust was awful. I must have made a mistake. It was bitter. Better luck next time. I also bake the pumpkin pie and made the low carb chocolates with cream cheese centers. For me it is easier to just not eat sweets. I didn't find them very good.

Sharon
Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:33
Way to go Kathie...it sounds like you're turning into a true Lowcarber....a good sign is not liking even the "artifical sweet treats".

It's amazing when we start out, what we crave...and how our tastebuds change.

wangeci
Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:44
Terri,
You will have the soy flour and splenda and such by Tuesday night!!! So don't fret. I think Karen's crust would work best, as the crust you listed you would have to buy 3 kinds of nuts which can be spendy..
C

Kathie36
Mon, Nov-19-01, 13:20
I hadn't looked at it quite that way. I started to think something was wrong with me. hahaha

Thank you for helping everyone here and have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

Kathie36

Sharon
Mon, Nov-19-01, 15:58
You're more than welcome.....we have some wonderful folks here on the lowcarb forum.

We had our Canadian Thanksgiving in October (the weekend of the 9th). Ours is always earlier than the American Thanksgiving.

Me, I getting excited about Christmas!!! We're supposed to get our first real snow tonight, which I hate.. (I keep asking myself, why am I living this far north of the equator).

I'm sure we'll talk more about the American Holiday later this week.

gpop529
Mon, Nov-26-01, 17:34
Heres a lightbulb momnet, Use Karens crust recipie for pies and add about 4 packets of splenda and 1 egg, add carob chips or chips of your choice. Bake for 7-8 minutes,

I made theese in just minutes. The kids loved them. I need to figure out the math for the carbs.
1 1/4 cup well toasted whole almonds
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. brown Sugar Twin
large pinch of cinnamon

I also added cloves about 1/4 tsp

wangeci
Wed, Nov-28-01, 10:17
Terri,
Did you use the almonds whole, or did you grind them up?
Cindy

gpop529
Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:21
I ground the almonds but not to a powder, just small bits