PDA

View Full Version : Snacks

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ageless
Fri, Nov-09-01, 16:35
Hello all !
I'm very new here ...just signed up today.
I was wondering what you all snack on? I have always
snaked on pretzels and crackers and such....well no more of that!
So help me out would ya? I just gotta snack! LOL!
THANKS SO MUCH!

essjay
Fri, Nov-09-01, 16:47
Well, I do 5-6 small meals a day (eating every 2-3 hours helps the insulin stay steady) so I don't really "snack" but sometimes one of my meals is pepperoni and cheese. Other times hardboiled eggs. After induction, egg salad on a wasa, pork rinds, the allowable nuts, a carbolite shake, cream cheese in celery. Other times I make an egg custard (eggs, cream, water, splenda and nutmeg) but I am more than likely to have that as breakfast.

LC Sponge
Fri, Nov-09-01, 16:47
Welcome Ageless - happy low carbing to ya!

Depends if you usually go for:

crunchy
sweet
salty
soft

Since you used to go for the crunchy and salty: try the eternal low carb staple - Pork Rinds.

Pork rinds were my favourite when I just got started. Drizzle melted butter on them and then shake a bit of parmesan cheese over - yum.

More favourites: Thin slices of leftover steak is nice, smear herbed cream cheese on the beef and roll it up. Melted cheddar allowed to harden is nice too and fast in the microwave on parchment paper.

Pretty much any low carb food, makes a decent low carb snack!!

Sharon
Fri, Nov-09-01, 16:58
One of the benefits I find with lowcarbing is that this way of eating fills you up...and the need for snacking diminishes. I think part of the snacking thing in all of us....is just plain boredom or habit.

I think you'll find as time goes on you may feel the same.

I understand though....we all have to have some items to snack on periodically.

You could also try using the Search engine at the top of the page....we've had other discussions about snack foods and I'm sure you'll find some other ideas.

Good luck.

Lessara
Fri, Nov-09-01, 17:21
Macadamia Nuts are my snack preference.
During the first two weeks, I ate cheese which
didn't go too well with my body. I don't snack
nearly as much as I used to. :p

doreen T
Fri, Nov-09-01, 19:30
Pork rinds are permitted on Induction, as long as they're plain, not seasoned (often contains carbs). Mayonnaise with a little dijon mustard or chopped chipotle peppers is an awesome dip ... a little goes a long way. An ounce of pork rinds on a plate, sprinkled with an ounce of grated tasty cheese, then nuked on high, or pop under the broiler for a few minutes ... is quite yummy and filling.

Small cans of fish are great -- tuna, salmon, sardines, kippered herrings ... mix with a little mayo, hot sauce or mustard ... great to stuff celery stalks.

Egg, tuna, chicken, ham etc salad w. mayo, green onion and pickle is great rolled up in soft lettuce leaves like a "wrap". Soft leaf type or Boston lettuce is best ... the crisper lettuces may split when rolled up.

Doreen

Allymich
Sat, Nov-10-01, 01:09
pork rind brushed with a bit of melted butter with splenda , and then sprinkled those babies with some cinnamon. yumm. what you get is something between cinnabons and toast...

Karen_nsca
Sat, Nov-10-01, 01:38
Originally posted by essjay
Well, I do 5-6 small meals a day (eating every 2-3 hours helps the insulin stay steady) so I don't really "snack" but sometimes one of my meals is pepperoni and cheese. Other times hardboiled eggs. After induction, egg salad on a wasa, pork rinds, the allowable nuts, a carbolite shake, cream cheese in celery. Other times I make an egg custard (eggs, cream, water, splenda and nutmeg) but I am more than likely to have that as breakfast.

That EGG Custard sounds YUMMY!!! I love Egg Custard Pie, that was one of my downfalls for food.

Can someone give me the recipie for the Egg Custard that is GOOD for us to eat?

mum's girl
Sat, Nov-10-01, 03:12
Can you do Atkins and low fat at the same time? Just curious.

mg

Elihnig
Sun, Nov-11-01, 08:44
Originally posted by mum's girl
Can you do Atkins and low fat at the same time? Just curious.

mg

You could but why would you want to?

Yes, I suppose some people still fear the gods of fat.

Also, I've read that some people are fat sensitive and need to restrict it, but I haven't come across any here.

We can eat fat and lose fat. We can restrict fat and gain fat. It depends on what goes with it.

Elihnig

essjay
Sun, Nov-11-01, 08:56
The Egg Custard: for Karen

Karen, I use any egg custard recipe I find (there are several on the web) but it comes down to

5 eggs
1/2 cup cream
3/4 cup water
8-10 teaspoons Splenda
(depending on your taste)
dash of imitation vanilla extract (real has corn syrup)
dash of cinnamon
nutmeg on top

(if you want to make more, just double)

whip all the ingredients together except for the nutmeg. Pour into baking pan. Place backing pan in a larger pan halfway full of water. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Ageless
Thu, Nov-15-01, 11:49
:D
Great ideas! I get bored at work and I have never really been a 'full meal deal' kind of person...more of a all day grazer ....MOO!
hehe :yum:

I'm mostly a salt craver, but since trying this diet I have been craving suger like mad (might be PMS...wait...yeah it's PMS) so I'll be sure to try your custard essjay!

Thanks again! :wave: