PDA

View Full Version : Splenda vs Swet-n-low

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Charyl
Mon, Nov-05-01, 09:22
Help! Why are all the recipes using Splenda and not any of the other artificial sweetners? I'm I missing out on something here - I've always used sweet-n-low or equal, but I only use them in coffee or tea - I've never baked or cooked using these sweetners - just sugar. So what's up???? :thup:

thanks, charyl

Karen
Mon, Nov-05-01, 09:39
Splenda and Canadian Sugar Twin can take heat and remain stable. Other sweeteners lose their sweetness under prolonged heat. A combination of the two sweeteners works together to create a better taste and you can also use less when two are used together. They come in a box and are pourable. Maltodextrin is used as a filler to make them pourable and is also good for the "bulk" required in some cake recipes. The carbs in both caome mainly from the maltodextrin.

Stevia, which can be found in natural food stores can be used instead of Sugar Twin but you will have to play around with the proportions. In liquid or powder form it is very sweet - sweeter than any other sweetener.

This website originates from Canada - Vancouver to be exact, and we have a plentiful supply of Splenda and Canadian Sugar Twin. So any sweet recipe from me will have one or the other or both!

Karen

Charyl
Mon, Nov-05-01, 10:50
Karen: Thanks for your response - I've seen splenda in the grocery so I'll have to try it - does it also do well in cold drinks like tea?

I can't wait to try in some recipes - that's where I'm having the most trouble - I need that something sweet at least once a day!

Thanks, charyl