PDA

View Full Version : Nov. - Let's Talk About Holiday Meals

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sharon
Thu, Nov-01-01, 06:06
During November let's work on collecting Holiday Meal Ideas. Your recipes could includes, beverages, desserts, salads, main course, etc. This is your opportunity to add a recipe for something you like to serve your guests (or just yourself cause you're special too!!).

As always don't forget to include detailed instructions as well as the nutritional counts.

Sharon
Thu, Nov-01-01, 18:24
Last Christmas I found a similar recipe online and played with the ingredients and this is what I found I liked best:

Low Carb Irish Cream

3 cups heavy cream
1/2 bottle Irish Whiskey (375 ml) (I buy the 750 ml size bottle and I have enough to make 2 batches with it)
1 tsp. instant coffee powder
1.5 tsp. cocoa powder
1 cup Splenda (or a little less)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract

Mix the cocoa powder, instant coffee powder and Splenda in a small bowl. Stir in enough Irish Whiskey to make a smooth paste.

Pour the cream into a saucepan and cook on very low heat until reduced to 2.5 cups. I used my "crockpot" for this. Cool to room temperature.

Blend whiskey, cocoa/coffee paste, extract and cooled cream until smooth.

I keep in my frig for up to two weeks. Also, I price compared and you can make a double batch for the same price as buying one. If you prefer your Irish Cream a little stronger you may wish to use more Irish Whiskey in the recipe.

Total carbs: 47.5
Approximately - 4 cups or 32 - 1 oz. drinks

This is one of my favourite hot tub winter drinks. (Guess what I'll be doing this Christmas eve on my deck watching for Santa?).

Enjoy!!!

Karen
Sat, Nov-03-01, 01:34
Sharon, I was thinking about a sub forum for LC Christmas baking while I was away. What do you think? It would be cool to have a whole bunch of Christmas cookies!

Karen

Sharon
Sat, Nov-03-01, 06:53
Sure Karen, whatever you think is great with me.

LC Sponge
Sat, Nov-03-01, 06:56
This board is just about the best I've found for recipes.

Christmas cookies would be fantastic as well as stuffing recipes.

I'll get my dh (he does all the cooking) to write down a sausage stuffing that he does that is out of this world.

Sharon
Tue, Nov-06-01, 12:32
Let's start by putting our Holiday recipes here, and if we get enough recipes in the same categories (i.e. cookies, beverages), we'll add some sub-threads.

I thought we'd keep this sticky for the months November/December, as well as a new "topic" for December.

I'm sure someone must have a great "stuffing" recipe they'll share with you LCSponge.

grrlpwer
Tue, Nov-06-01, 12:42
i found a site with some low carb recipes if yall would like them

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/Cookbook/Poultry.html#Kitty’s%20Sausage/Mushroom%20Dressing%20for

Sharon
Tue, Nov-06-01, 16:14
A family tradition at my house is Christmas Brunch. This recipe was originally a "high carb" recipe, but I made a couple changes and now offer it up to my high carb friends as well as my low carb friends.

Overnight Strata Sandwiches

3 tbsp. butter, softened
12 slices bread (low carb/high carb)
3 tbsp. mustard
6 oz. smoked chicken, turkey or ham
6 oz. cheddar cheese, thinly siced
1 tomato
3 eggs
1/8 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup water
1/4 tsp. pepper

To accomodate everyone, I use half high carb bread, and half low carb bread.

Butter one side of each slice of bread, spread other side with mustard. On mustard side of six slices, evenly divide chicken, cheese and tomato. Cover with slice of bread, buttered side out; cut sandwiches in half, diagonally. (Basically you're just making sandwiches and cutting them in half).

Arrange sandwiches, cut side down and overlapping, in greased 11 x 7 baking dish. Whisk together eggs, cream, water, and pepper, pour over sandwiches. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until crisp and golden. Garnish with parsley. Serves 6.

Carbs of course depend on what bread you use and what meat.
The last time I made this, I used 17 carbs for all the other ingredients.

I make this the night before, and refrigerate. Goes in the oven along with veggies and quiche for brunch, and bakes while we're opening gifts.

Ka3n
Thu, Nov-08-01, 16:09
This is a great recipe for game birds. I used to call it Peppered Turkey until I moved to New Mexico and made it with Habanero peppers, most of it was too hot for me to eat and my hands felt like they were flaming for hours after I cut up those little orange devils. My first experience with Habanero Peppers. :o Caliente!! Warning: Habaneros are extremely hot!

The night before you roast the bird:
One turkey or game bird, washed and dried. Using a filet knife, cut small slits 1/2 long and various depths into the turkey.
Slice fresh Japapeno peppers and fresh garlic into long pieces.
Slide them deeply into the slits and then press the meat and skin back together. Do this all over the turkey. Cover the bird and refridgerate overnight.

Before roasting, uncover bird, rub butter and small amount of white pepper and salt inside and outside of the bird. Roast in the oven as you would any turkey. I like to slow roast mine with a loose tent of foil (not touching the bird) and add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the pan (we have no humidity here and they tend to dry out). Then uncover it the last hour to brown the skin crispy. Be sure to baste often as this makes the bird moist and flavorful. It's done when the thigh is 180 degrees F, and the breast is 170 degrees F. This will take about 5 hrs at 300F for a 20 pound turkey. Let it rest for about 15 minutes before you carve, the little bits of garlic and peppers will be soft and add a wonderful zing when you bite into them.

TIPS:
Wear a pair of surgical gloves--or any kind of latex or vinyl tight-fitting gloves. THis will keep the pepper off of your hands.
Cut through the pepper by the stem area down to the tip, cutting it into 8 or more slices. It's easy to remove the seeds this way.
Keep the seeds in the peppers if you like it hotter, also, the seeds don't soften up as much as the pepper flesh and garlic so omit them if you prefer it mild or don't want the feeling of an occasional pepper seed.
The left overs make the most fantastic turkey salad, just add mayo.

HOW MUCH PEPPER & GARLIC?
The amount of pepper and garlic is to taste and according to the size of your turkey. For a 20 pound turkey I use about 1/4 cup garlic and 1/2 cup of Jalapenos with the seeds removed. It's very spicy. I will use Habaneros if a guest wants it very very caliente (hot), and I always remember what part of the bird I put it in, if you are going to use both, be sure to buy the orange Habaneros and the green Jalapenos. That way you and your guests will know which one is which before you bite into it.

ADDED BENEFIT:
Peppers have a thermogenic effect, so the Flaming Turkey will give your metabolism a boost!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Each Jalapeno pepper has .83 carbs and 4.2 calories.
1/2 of a cup of Japapeno peppers has 5.32 grams of carbs and 27 calories.

Each 1/4 cup of sliced fresh garlic has 11.2 carbs and 50 calories.

If you make it the way that I do in this recipe, you'll add 16.5 grams of carbs and 77 calories to the entire turkey.

doreen T
Thu, Nov-08-01, 16:26
Originally posted by Ka3n
....until I moved to New Mexico and made it with Habanero peppers, most of it was too hot for me to eat and my hands felt like they were flaming for hours after I cut up those little orange devils. My first experience with Habanero Peppers. :o Caliente!! I think Wa'il could swap a few tales with you about habañero peppers! Check it out here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21089).

http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/ruinkai/FIREdevil.gif

Doreen

Ka3n
Thu, Nov-08-01, 17:01
Thanks Doreen for sharing Wa'il's "Habanero: Pray for my soul!!!!!! " thread! I agree with everything that was said, it's so funny AFTER the fact!

After finishing my dinner, even my fingertips hurt from cutting them. Wa'il, I soaked my hands in milk after cutting them, they hurt so badly! That *should* have been a clue for what was in store for me... :devil: LOL, I learned to hard way, too. Ahh, but the taste is so fantastico!! :yum: I'm a chili pepper fan, too. BUt, do you really eat Jalapenos by themselves as a snack? Raw? ARe you familar with the Scoville Scale heat index for peppers? I learned of it when I moved here. Jalapenos are rated at 3,500-5,000 Scoville and Habaneros are a whoping 577,000 Scoville!

IslandGirl
Fri, Nov-09-01, 01:48
Ice Cream, Toasted Almond

Hope y'all enjoy this as much as I did!

Recipe By : Judi
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts, Frozen Fat Fast Veggie Ovo-Lacto

Amount Measure Ingredient
4 Ounces Almonds -- 23.1/12.4
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/2 Teaspoon molasses, blackstrap -- 2.1/0
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 Teaspoons sweetener, stevia liquid (white)
2 1/2 cups Whipping Cream 35% -- 6/0
2 Whole large eggs
4 large egg yolks -- 3/0
3 Teaspoons sweetener, stevia liquid (white)
1 1/2 Teaspoons almond extract
Pinch Salt

Preheat the oven to 300F. Spread the almonds (natural whole, slivers or flaked) out on a baking tray and bake until well-browned, about 10-15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool. Chop coarsely if whole almonds used.

In a small frying pan, melt the 1 Tbsp butter over low-medium heat and "simmer" until it turns a rich and nutty-smelling brown. Stir the molasses into 1.5 Teaspoons of the liquid Stevia, then stir the almonds, the molasses mixture and the pinch of salt into the browned butter. Set aside to cool.

Heat the cream to almost scalded over low-medium heat (small bubbles start to form on the side of the pan). While the cream is heating, beat the eggs, yolks, remaining sweetener, salt and extract til foamy. Temper the eggs with some of the hot cream, then pour back into the saucepan and heat, whisking constantly, til mixture thickens slightly (coats the back of a spoon). Chill completely (overnight or 4-6 hours) then process in an ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions, adding the toasted almonds about halfway through the process.

Copyright LowCarb FoodExperts Canada, Judith van den Broek (and thanks for the inspiration, Karen!)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Whole Recipe: 3338 kCals, 334g fat (88%), 44.1/12.4g carb/fiber = 32g net, 59g protein, 233mcg folacin, 865mg calcium, 530mg sodium.
Per serving (10 x 1/2 cup): 334 kCals, 33g fat, 3.2g net carbs, 6g protein.

Karen
Fri, Nov-09-01, 17:27
Liptauer Cheese
Makes 1 3/4 cups

This festive nibbly can be spread on a plate or packed into crocks and served with cucumber slices, celery sticks and radishes.

If you can find the Hungarian Lipto cheese, use it in place of the feta and cream cheese.

4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp. sour cream
2 anchovy fillets, mashed to a paste
1 Tbsp. finely minced green onion
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds, lightly crushed
1/2 tsp. salt

With a wooden spoon or handheld mixer, cream the feta, cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Keeps for 2 weeks, refrigerated.

Total Calories: 1424
Fat: 143 grams
Carbs: 13 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 29 grams

Karen
Fri, Nov-09-01, 17:37
Roasted Turkey with Pancetta, Rosemary and Garlic
Serves 8 -10

This is one of my favorite methods of roasting turkey. It emerges from the oven well flavoured and succulent.

1 15 lb. (7 kg) turkey
½ lb. pancetta
½ cup fresh rosemary leaves
4 whole heads garlic
6 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
olive oil
2 cups dry red wine
½ cup finely chopped shallots

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Rinse the turkey and pat dry. Finely chop half the pancetta and cut the other half into large chunks. Stuff the large chunks of pancetta, half the rosemary leaves and the whole heads of garlic into the cavity of the turkey. Transfer the finely chopped pancetta to the workbowl of a food processor with the remaining rosemary, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Pulse until everything is finely chopped.

Loosen the skin of the turkey over the breast and around the legs. Slide the pancetta mixture over the breast and legs, under the skin, patting it out evenly. Transfer to a roasting pan and rub the turkey with olive oil. Tie the legs loosely.

Roast for 3-3½ hours basting the turkey with ½ cup (120 ml) of the red wine every 30 minutes. After the second basting, scatter the shallots in the bottom of the roasting pan.

Remove the turkey from the roasting pan. Degrease the juices with a fat separator or skim with a spoon. Strain through a sieve into a pot; keep warm over low heat and adjust the seasoning. Remove the whole garlic from the cavity and separate the cloves. Carve the turkey into slices and garnish with the cloves of garlic, which are meant to be eaten. Serve with the pan juices on the side.

Total Calories: 7306
Fat: 411 grams
Carbs: 64 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 722 grams

IslandGirl
Fri, Nov-09-01, 18:42
postged it over in the Sweet Treats subforum...

hmmmmmmm... don't think I can do a redirect but perhaps a superModerator or Administrator is lurking?

doreen T
Fri, Nov-09-01, 18:53
Or perhaps the moderator herself, our very own esteemed Sharon, mistress of the measuring spoon.

Doreen

doreen T
Tue, Nov-13-01, 20:22
Originally posted by IslandGirl
postged it over in the Sweet Treats subforum...

hmmmmmmm... don't think I can do a redirect but perhaps a superModerator or Administrator is lurking? hi Judi,

We've merged a copy your awesomely amazing Toasted Almond Ice Cream here in this Holiday Meals thread. You WOULD hafta do this when I'm trying to go cow dairy-free for a stretch. Wonder if I can get goat whipping cream?? :p

Doreen

Sharon
Sat, Dec-01-01, 18:58
Thanks everyone for adding to our Holiday Meal Ideas thread. I've posted your original creations in our members recipe section.

I'm going to leave this thread "stuck" for the next month so please feel free to continue adding your Holiday Ideas to it. Next year when we're all looking for those special recipes again, we'll be glad that you did.

IslandGirl
Wed, Jan-02-02, 13:23
I've been working on a very special Holiday recipe for our family (well, several, but this one is ready for "publication"!).

Over here in Victoria, the Dutch Bakery is famous for a number of treats, one of which is the Vanilla Slice. Our family has always considered this a very special treat and my sister (the dear) was determined to come all the way over from Edmonton and provide said treat for all and sundry at New Year's ... In sheer self-defence :D I volunteered to come up with a low carb version! Ok, Ok, I love the dang things, too!

All went well and I got many compliments on the thing. If I say so myself :o it came out very nicely and :yum: tasty, too!

Enough yakking, here it is:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vanilla Slice

Recipe By : Judi IslandGirl
Serving Size : 12
Description: "a vanilla custard napoleon"
Categories : Cakes & Icings, Candies & Treats, Eggs, Ethnic & Holiday, Veggie Ovo-Lacto

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1/8 teaspoon Sweetener, Stevia 'Working' Liquid
500 milliliters Whipping Cream 36% -- ~ 2 C
250 milliliters half and half -- ~ 1 C
250 milliliters water -- filtered
75 milliliters syrup, sf DaVinci French Vanilla -- ~ 1/4 C
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 egg yolks, whole -- beaten
3 1/2 tablespoons gelatin powder, unsweetened

3 phyllo pastry sheets -- thawed if necessary
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup sweetener, Splenda granular

125 milliliters Whipping Cream 36% -- ~ 1/2 C
5 drops Sweetener, Stevia 'Working' Liquid
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Custard Base: Lightly panspray or butter a 13x9x3" pan (I used a pyrex cake pan). Beat the yolks thoroughly and set aside. Stir together the first 7 ingredients, from Sweetener through salt, in a heavy-bottomed non-reactive saucepan and, whisking regularly over moderate heat, bring to just short of scalding (do not boil). Taking the pan off the heat, temper the yolks by pouring, while whisking, some of the hot cream mixture over them and then whisk the yolk mixture back into the cream til thoroughly blended. Sprinkle on the gelatin, and returning the pan to low heat, whisk gently until the mixture is thickened (do not boil). Pour the thickened custard mixture into the prepared pan to cool and set (3 to 5 hours).

Pastry Tops: Preheat oven to 350F. Cut phyllo sheets in half crosswise. Following the usual handling instructions (on the box :-), lay out and butter, using a pastry brush and the melted butter and olive oil, the first 3 half-sheets of phyllo (a.k.a. filo) dough on an ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle the top of the buttered 3rd sheet evenly with half the Splenda. Continue layering and buttering the remaining 3 sheets; topping with the remaining Splenda. Slice lengthwise with a sharp knife into 3 long "rows" and crosswise into 4, so 12 even rectangular pastries are outlined. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until puffy and golden. Set aside to cool for later assembly.

Assembly: Beat the whipping cream, with the stevia and vanilla, til quite thick and set aside. Using a sharp knife, loosen the custard around the edges and then carefully slice into 12 oblongs (3 slices lengthwise and 4 slices crosswise). Using a spatula, carefully plate the vanilla custard oblongs. Drop a spoonful of whipped cream on top of each oblong ("glue") and then, using the spatula, place a 'pastry' slice on top of each custard oblong. Finally, drop a spoonful of whipped cream on top of each pastry.

Serve immediately if possible (assembly recommended just prior to serving).

Copyright:
"Judith van den Broek, LowCarb FoodExperts Canada"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 275 Calories; 26g Fat (85.0% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 171mg Cholesterol; 95mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : (a) The famous Vanilla Slice, a la Dutch Bakery, attempt 1 to capture the flavour and feel ... 2001-12-31 (family as guinea pigs).
(b) if using agar-agar instead of regular gelatin, would be Veggie Ovo-Lacto.
(c) can use your favourite granular heat-proof sweetener instead of Splenda.
(d) genuine vanilla extract is recommended (vs. synthetic) where possible.
(e) if not using DaVinci sugarfree syrup in the custard, increase sweetener to taste (may need to double), increase water by 1/4 Cups and add 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract.

PS: here's the MasterCook export form if you want to download it...