PDA

View Full Version : Sea Salt

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Muse
Thu, Oct-18-01, 20:42
Does anyone know if sea salt carries any specific health benefit?

I've been using it thinking it was somehow better for me, yet I question,... if sea salt is still just salt...is it just as bad?

I welcome any thoughts you might have!

Muse

doreen T
Thu, Oct-18-01, 22:11
Well, there's sea salt and then there's sea salt.

If the sea salt you buy is a pure white crystalline product, then it's been refined, and is basically the same as ordinary table salt.

If you buy NATURAL, unrefined sea salt, such as Celtic or Lima brands (there are others), it contains the natural minerals of the sea. It has 1/3 less sodium than regular table salt, and it is slightly grayish in colour, and also slightly moist. It even tastes less "salty", at least I think so. It is more expensive, but generally it's less costly at natural foods or health foods stores than at gourmet shops.

I use unrefined Lima brand, because I prefer the less salty taste. Since I use so little salt, I don't really consider any special health benefits, other than the fact that it's lower in sodium.

Doreen

Muse
Fri, Oct-19-01, 05:53
Now Doreen, how did I know it would be you comming to my rescue here...hahahahahahha! You are the wise researcher of all food related queries...Thanks so much!

Yes I have the greyish moist sea salt from France....oh yes, I import my sea salt ;) hahahha!

Thank you for your response, so if I'm understanding it's superior in that it contains less sodium, but other than that there are no known health benefits from using it. Thanks!

Muse

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-19-01, 06:07
It's great in your bathwater too :)

Nat

madpiano
Fri, Oct-19-01, 06:47
Hiya

There is one difference between Salt from Inland Sources and Sea Salt: Sea Salt contains Iodine.
Where I come from, Iodine deficiency is quite common ( we have Salt in the Mountains and live far from any sea) and people are advised to use Sea Salt or Iodine enriched Salt instead of local Salt. But that is the only difference I know. I have never seen unrefined Sea Salt. But I have seen how Sea Salt is made, and I think I rather stick to the cleaned variety ;)