PDA

View Full Version : Need help with low carb pumpkin pie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jalera
Thu, Oct-04-01, 20:40
I have found a recipe for low carb pumkin pie for Thanksgiving this weekend. The problem is the crust. I am allergic to nuts. Are there any low carb pie crust recipes out there without nuts in the crust? Or will I have to go crustless?

Karen
Fri, Oct-05-01, 01:57
What about using pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or coconut instead?

Karen

Sharon
Fri, Oct-05-01, 05:20
Yes, when I make a baked low carb pumpkin pie, I always go "crustless". I think that the inside is the best part of a pumpkin pie anyways!!! Spray your pie plate good and you'll have no problem...it just slides out.

JenniferS
Fri, Oct-05-01, 05:23
Karen, I think you should open a gourmet low-carb restaurant in Vancouver. Your art and craft with food is astonishing. I think the low-carb movement is about to hit a critical mass, at least here in the pacific northwest. I dream about a low-carb buffet, with an endless supply of cauli-flied rice and almond chocolate Splenda cheesecake...

Cheers and good luck with the pumpkin pie, Jalera...

J

Karen
Fri, Oct-05-01, 09:46
Thanks Jennifer! I wouldn't want to own one, But being a chef in one is fine!

You're right about hitting critical mass. I've been thinking about a LC Lifestyle TV show....

Karen

TryAgain
Fri, Oct-05-01, 10:30
What is the pumpkin pie recipe???

Karen
Fri, Oct-05-01, 10:53
Don't know which one she is referring to, but this one is great! ;)

Pumpkin Pie (http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe054.html)

Karen

Sharon
Fri, Oct-05-01, 10:56
Just incase you missed Karen's NEW Pumpkin Chiffon Recipes...here's where you can find it.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe054.html

I plan on making her new recipe on Sunday.

Here's a "baked" pie, I've had success with. I don't usually make the crust though.

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cake08.html

Sharon
Fri, Oct-05-01, 10:57
Karen & Try Again...sorry for the repeat....looks like Karen and I were answering at the same time.

Hope your pies turn out great.

TryAgain
Fri, Oct-05-01, 11:50
thanks for the recipe. If only cornbread stuffing were low carb....

Karen
Fri, Oct-05-01, 12:46
I'm making a stuffing using Shepherds Loaf...

Karen

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-05-01, 18:25
Originally posted by Karen
Don't know which one she is referring to, but this one is great! ;)

Pumpkin Pie (http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe054.html)

Karen

Karen, I made this tonight, and oh does it ever taste wonderful (yes, I'm a beater licker... what can I say :rolleyes: ) Its for dinner tomorrow with my not quite yet in-laws. I noticed something though;

Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set aside

If you follow the directions you end up with a bowl of gelatin and a pumpkin shiffon pie ;) I took things into my own hands and I mixed the gelatin mixture with the pumpkin one while it was on the stove heating up.

I also made a full order of the No Bake Cheesecake for Sunday's dinner. Yum.

Thx so much for all your sweet creativity!
Nat

Jalera
Fri, Oct-05-01, 18:59
Karen's recipe was the one that I was referring to in my original post. Thanks for the tips and for drawing my attention to the other recipe. :p

This is for a family dinner and since I do CAD and can have a few carbs at my reward meal I think I'll do one of the fillings in a regular crust. I will definately use real whipping cream on top!!!! :thup:

Mom said "I have a couple of those packages of stuff you add milk to and whip up" and I said "Uh, no that's okay I'll bring the real stuff." Mom and Dad have been doing low fat for a long time, they've probably forgotten how good real whipped cream is!

:idea: Alteratively I could do it crustless and introduce them all to a lower carb lifestyle!!!! :roll:

Karen
Fri, Oct-05-01, 19:49
Thanks Nat! It will be corrected.

Thx so much for all your sweet creativity!

It's my downfall. I could just think and make up LC desserts all day! :eek:

Karen

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-05-01, 20:26
Originally posted by Karen
It's my downfall. I could just think and make up LC desserts all day! :eek:

You make that sound like a bad thing ;)

I'm more than willing to be a guinea pig. Oink.

I had a question for you, more of a suggestion. I know you're working on a LC carrot cake.... There is a LC banana bread out there using banana baby food, would that work for carrot cake too? Why make it faux when you could get the real thing? Or would that be too many carbs?

Nat