PDA

View Full Version : Tuna

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lessara
Wed, Oct-03-01, 13:27
Tuna is an inexpensive protein and I was wondering if anyone had any meals they make with it that is warm not cold like a salad.

Tara
Wed, Oct-03-01, 14:03
I have a real quick and easy tuna recipe:

1 - 6.5 oz can tuna, drained
1 tbsp mayo
1 slice provolone cheese (you can use whatever cheese you like - except processed cheese like american or velveeta)

Mix the tuna and mayo. Put foil over a cookie sheet (saves on the clean-up ;) ) and grease it with butter or a non-stick spray like Pam (I use 1 tbsp butter, makes it taste better). Glop the tuna onto your greased spot and kinda flatten it out to about the same size as your piece of cheese. Put your cheese on top and pop it in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes at 350. YUM!

You can do this on the stove too, but I like the oven version because the foil means no clean-up. :D

Nutritional info (including butter to grease pan) :

Calories: 494
Fat: 31
Carbs: 1
Protein: 50

Sharon
Wed, Oct-03-01, 15:16
Sounds great...a tuna melt without the bread.

tamarian
Wed, Oct-03-01, 15:20
This is one of Karen's first published recipes on our site:

Albacore Tuna "Melt" (http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe004.html)

Wa'il

Karen
Wed, Oct-03-01, 19:34
Hmmm. I thought I posted a recipe for curried tuna. I'll dig it up later!

Karen

tamarian
Wed, Oct-03-01, 21:09
Karen, you also published this one, but not curried tuna:

Buttery Tuna and Caper Mousse with Eggplant (http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe021.html)

Wa'il

doreen T
Wed, Oct-03-01, 21:58
How about Tuna Patties ??

6 oz can tuna, drained and flaked
1 egg, beaten
1 green onion, finely minced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
dash hot sauce, optional
butter or vegetable oil for frying
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- mix all ingredients together.
- heat butter or oil in medium skillet ... shape tuna mixture into 4 patties; cook over medium heat, turning once, until brown on both sides.
- 2 servings, 2 patties each

whole recipe
calories: 400
Fat: 18g ... (+fat from oil or butter)
Carbs: 3g / Fiber: 1g / ECC 2g
Protein: 53g

per serving
calories 200
fat 9g
carbs: 1.5g / fiber: 0.5g / ECC 1g
protein: 26.5

These are delicious hot or cold. A yummy topping is to mix 1/4 cup real mayonnaise (not light or lowfat) with 2 Tbsp finely chopped stuffed green olives and 1 tsp dijon mustard = 1.5g carbs total, or 0.8g carbs per serving.

enjoy :)

Doreen

Lessara
Thu, Oct-04-01, 06:25
You are all so great!! Thank you! I thought if I ate another Tuna Salad I would go nuts!!