PDA

View Full Version : Ssnacks During Induction?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sus
Wed, Oct-03-01, 08:43
Hi All,

I'm a newie..... in fact, just beginning the Atkins plan today!
Does anyone have any ideas for snacks I can eat during the Level One (or is that called induction??) phase of the program. I've read the book, but not really clear on some aspects - also, the book I have was published in 1972..... are their any later editions that may have more up to date information???

Thanks for your help

susan

duchesse
Wed, Oct-03-01, 18:48
Hi Susan,

Good luck :) I first read my mom's dr atkins book that was also published in 1972. I am so glad that i read it one day that I was really bored, anyways, yes there are new atkins books, the idea is the same, you can eat as much of fat and protein as you like, and a limited amount of carb. (they say that in the first 2 weeks which is also called induction you should get your carbs from green veggies such as spinach, green beans, lettuce etc, and you might wanna have califlower it's very low in carb)

For snacks- I usually have sugar free jello, you can have some whipped cream with it. The other day I read a cheese chips recipe, you just pop a slice of cheese in the microwave for a minute or 2, it might get a little brown, you turn it with a spatula, when it cools it gets crunchy like the real chips:) and it's great, it's the best snack ever since I started the atkins diet.

I sometimes like to have some nuts, you can have
almonds 5.5 grams per 1oz
macademia 4.5 grams per 1 oz
brazil nuts 3.1 grams per 1 oz. Be careful with the quantities though.

You can also try to have some green or black olives with feta cheese and olive oil.

Are you taking any vitamins by the way?

maggie

Karen
Wed, Oct-03-01, 19:18
The newer edition is called Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. That's the one you should get.

Keep your snacks protein during induction: pork rinds, beef jerky, chicken wings, small amounts of high-fat cheese, roast beef dipped in mayonnaise...

No nuts on induction, and watch out for Jell-o with aspartame in it.

Karen

tamarian
Wed, Oct-03-01, 21:03
Hi Sus,

If you want to get a newer book, I would recommend Protein Power, as it will make a great compliment and much more details. The newer Atkins has just a few extra details. The plans are quite similar, but the details and explanations in PP are much better in my humble opinion.

Wa'il

sus
Thu, Oct-04-01, 08:06
Thanks guys......

The advice is much appreciated. I actually found a copy of the newer version last night, and sat up all night reading it.

I think I will also invest in the PP book (as kindly suggested) - I think you can never be too informed.

Well this is day two - shocking headache yesterday, but feeling really good today. Just have to deal with the guilt attacks from eating sooooooooo much fat.

Thankyou again - people like you guys make this forum so informative and inviting for new folks like me. I've never seen anything quite like it before. I'm very very appreciative!

cheers

sus

MiniMadrid
Mon, Jan-02-06, 13:59
Like Sus, I am on my first day too. I am already so greatful for all the advices and good ideas I have found today in this forum. Thank you to you all!
I live in the other side of the world, right now Madrid, Spain and there are a million things we do not have here, as sugar free jelly... I will try to adapt your recipies to those things I can find around.... will let you know how this works out!
I am feeling a big headache today too... I suppose it is normal.
Thank you again and HAPPY NEW YEAR for each one of you!

ndelacourt
Mon, Jan-02-06, 15:42
See my pork rind nacho recipe....very tasty! The real trick the first few days especially is LOTS of fat.....it will help with the cravings and feeling crappy.

Congrats for starting and good luck!

ndelacourt
Mon, Jan-02-06, 15:43
I forgot to add....devilled eggs are a lifesaver for me as well....

LadyBelle
Mon, Jan-02-06, 19:25
I used to make up a plate of finger foods to keep handy in the fridge for snacking emergancies.

String cheese
deviled eggs
bacon wrapped scallops
celery with cream cheese
pumpkin with cream cheese and pumpkin pie spices
some people fry alot of bacon and keep a baggy in the fridge
rollups - lunch meat and cheese or cream cheese
dill pickles
meatballs
quiche
lettuce or cabbage with ground meat mix wrapped in
zucchini wedges tossed with olive oil and grilled
zucchini and yellow squash mix
pork rinds
taco salad
italian soda (davinci with seltzer water and maybe cream)

Eat more often and small meals if that helps. It's perfectly normal to feel like crud for a small time while your body goes through withdrawls. If you still feel cruddy after the first week or so, then examine your diet. Be sure you are getting alot of veggies and water. Also not a ton of sodium and processed meats (you can't live off bacon). Some suppliments can also help. pottasium for leg cramps and so forth. We have a suppliments section here that can offer advice in that area.

Alicatspjz
Wed, Jan-18-06, 12:26
I snack on these things all the time. They are really quick and easy, just open the tins/cans.

smoked baby clams
smoked oysters
kippered snacks
smoked salmon

They are in the grocery aisle with the tuna and canned meats/fish. Salmon is at the fish counter as well. If you like fish these are wonderful snack things. For those of you that think you might not like them, they are not as fishy as you might think and don't knock 'em 'til you tried 'em. They've been really handy and quick when I am busy or only have a few minutes to eat.

dianna9234
Mon, Feb-20-06, 10:19
There is a receipe floating around.. for home-made SF (and aspartame free too!).. using kool-aid flavors and real poowdered gelatin. sweetened with Splenda. I made it only once.. was a little thicker, but very good.. I had forgotten about it until this post.. gonna have to look areound and find the receipe.
dianna9234

jjb2000
Tue, Feb-21-06, 11:24
Just be sure to read the label on any processed foods you buy--alot more stuff has sugar than you think. Most commercial jerky I saw has sugar. The canned clams I had in the pantry had sugar. The smoked oysters didn't but still had 7-8 carbs per 3.75 oz can. On a 20 carb limit, every one is important.
On induction for snacks, I'd stick with meats, pork rinds, limited amounts of cheese (I cut our cheeses in one ounce increments and put in ziplock bags so we know how much we're eating. The artificial sweetners can stall some people so I'd wait until after induction (after the first 2 weeks) before adding those.

dianna9234
Tue, Feb-21-06, 12:35
unfortunately some ppl (myself included) cannot have the pork rinds, diet sodas, or cheese on Induction.. it slows my weight loss, and sometimes even gives me a small gain.. (water retention, due to salt??).. if you find some of these porblems.. try cutting out 1 or another until you find what is right for YOU
dianna

SaffyGirl
Sat, Mar-24-07, 09:34
Hey guys, I love to strength train, and have this protein powder made from egg whites and stevia. It is all protein, with zero grams of carbs or fat. Do you think I can still drink this stuff while on induction, or has stevia been known to cause stalls in some people? (I'm still getting lots of fat from other sources... I usually add flax oil to my shakes.)

lbh17
Sat, Mar-24-07, 12:12
Hey guys, I love to strength train, and have this protein powder made from egg whites and stevia. It is all protein, with zero grams of carbs or fat. Do you think I can still drink this stuff while on induction, or has stevia been known to cause stalls in some people? (I'm still getting lots of fat from other sources... I usually add flax oil to my shakes.)

I can't imagine that stevia would cause a stall. good for you for adding flax to the shakes. I think that will help your weight loss quite a bit. Also, it's so healthy and good for your mood.