PDA

View Full Version : Question about olives

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Raven
Mon, Sep-17-01, 21:14
The green olives with the pimentos inside.

According to the label, they're zero carbs, 25 calories per 4 olives and a good deal of that is fat. (the good fat I presume)

My question is, are olives a good thing to eat for snacks instead of nuts? (I LOVE olives). I've never seen them specifically mentioned for this purpose, so I thought I'd ask in case there was something about them that I don't know.

tamarian
Mon, Sep-17-01, 21:30
Hi Raven,

I love olives too! :)

They're not zeor carb though, but not that high either. The lable was probably rounding up a small serving, but for a 100 gram serving, there's 5-6 grams of carbs depending on the type of olives, and they have considerable amount of fiber! :thup:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/carb_count_detail.html?item_id=9193

Wa'il

Michelle
Mon, Sep-17-01, 21:30
According to my Netzer, olives have 1 g of carbs for 5 olives and 2.5g fat and 25 calories. So depending on how many you eat in one sitting, I think it's probably a good choice for a change from nuts.
I LOVE green olives, BTW. DH can't stand them, so I get the whole bottle for me. My kitties love the juice from the bottle, too.
HTH!
Michelle

BillT
Mon, Sep-17-01, 21:44
Originally posted by Raven
The green olives with the pimentos inside.Olive are good: good fats. An even better thing are green olives with anchovies inside. Even people who like neither green olives not anchovies like them because the saltiness of the anchovies counterbalance the acidity of the green olives while the oil and acidity in the green olives counterbalance the saltiness of the anchovies: they eat them… ravenously! Anchovies are good too for your omega-3. Don’t forsake the nuts though. They have their own load of good things. Variety is best!

Karen
Tue, Sep-18-01, 02:02
You can also get olives stuffed with almonds or jalepenos. Great to nibble on with a piece of cheese. But like BillT, the anchovy ones are my favourite.

Karen

Raven
Tue, Sep-18-01, 02:54
Thanks for the replies.

I see the good ole' USA regulations allow them to say zero carbs on the label since it's less than 1. But still, 5 olives is less carbs than 5 macadamia nuts. I usually pick out 10 and put them in a bowl so I won't go overboard eating from the jar.

Thanks much!! I can eat my olives without guilt now, woohoo!http://www.contrabandent.com/pez1/kao/otn/pconfettileft.gif

DawnJ
Tue, Sep-18-01, 16:40
Where does one find anchovy stuffed olives if there is no Trader Joes in sight? Whole Foods, maybe??

BillT
Tue, Sep-18-01, 21:08
Originally posted by Karen:
But like BillT, the anchovy ones are my favouriteA terrific thing to do with plain green olives is to marinate as in North-Africa: I blanch 2 or 3 sliced chilies and 2 or 3 lightly crushed garlic cloves. I place them in a parboiled and air-dried canning jar before adding 1 teaspoon drained green peppercorns, 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, 2 bay leaves and bits of preserved lemon (or substitute blanched lemon slices). Add the green olives to the jar and Fill with to cover with extra-virgin olive oil. Leave to marinate in a cool and dry place 2 weeks, turning the jar occasionally. Those olives can be served as an appetizer, as part of a selection of mezzes or as a to kill for low-carb snack.
Originally posted by DawnJ:
Where does one find anchovy stuffed olives if there is no Trader Joe's in sight? Whole Foods, maybe?Well, I know that Smart & Final carries them (Roland brand) but there’s no Smart & Final in New Mexico. But I have seen it at CostPlus too though…

wadimom
Tue, Sep-18-01, 22:36
Originally posted by BillT
Those olives can be served as an appetizer, as part of a selection of mezzes or as a to kill for low-carb snack.

Hey BillT-

Mezzes..... I LOVE those!!! Have you ever tried to do a traditional with with the supposed 50 dishes? or is it supposed to be 100??

Could you make your own anchovie olives? A Singaporean friend of mine brings dried anchovies that are just delicious!! I usually just fry them up until brown and sprinkle on just about anything. I suppose you could just eat them together? I will try that. I don't really care for the green olives, but friends have told me to just perservere and then I will be hooked. :lol:

Lorrie

BillT
Tue, Sep-18-01, 23:37
Originally posted by wadimom
Hey BillT
Have you ever tried to do a traditional with with the supposed 50 dishes? . . . Could you make your own anchovie olives?Ia salaam! La, ia habibti! 100 is too much work, even for me! Besides, the Arabian influences on my cuisine are more from the Maghrib than from the Mashrik altough I like baba ghanouj, etc. Madjboos however, will never come even close to couscous!
As for making your own olives with anchovies, sure, why not? If you don’t mind the work, it’s just a rolled anchovy inside a pitted green olive after all! There’s a Spanish tapa that adds a little sophistication:

Aceitunas Rellenas
Ingredients: 1 7 1/2 oz can pitted olives, 1 3/4 oz can anchovy fillets, 1 can pimentos, 1 clove garlic, 1/3 cup wine vinegar 1 tablespoon olive oil, oil from the anchovies.
Cut the anchovy fillets in small pieces. Drain the olives and stuff them with the anchovy fillets. Chop the pimentos and mince the garlic. Combine the chopped pimentos, the minced garlic, the vinegar and the oils and pour over the olives. Marinate overnight.

wadimom
Wed, Sep-19-01, 03:52
Just a little funny when my son was little.....

My hubby LOVES those green olives and has always had them with our main meals. When my son was about 18 months, he would take an olive, toddle around to dad and say "zaitoon, baba, zaitoon..." and hand it to him. Olive, dad, olive is the translation. But so cute when he was just learning to talk and picking up a smattering of Arabic as well!

My son is now 15 and doesn't like those olives at all. I told him it was because he handled them so much when he was younger, :lol: !!

Just a tidbit......

Lorrie

Natrushka
Wed, Sep-19-01, 07:03
Hiyah, Raven. I've moved the olive epic to the Low Carb Kitchen ;)

And ..... I have a question. I've never been an olive fan... I tried one a few weeks ago and surprize surprize it wasnt as bad as I remembered. I imagine its an acquired taste. Are black olives similar in taste and texture to the green ones?

Nat

fiona
Wed, Sep-19-01, 15:19
Yippee. Thanks Raven for asking this question. I was just wondering what would be a good snack ... besides the cheese and nuts which are my favourite. Came here ... found the answer.

I love olives but was a bit wary of them. Well now I will eat them more often - with anchovies sometimes. Love Bill's recipe for marinating them too.
Take care.

Raven
Wed, Sep-19-01, 17:35
Heya Nat. The black olives taste different from the green ones to me. They're not quite as spicy or tangy, I guess is how you'd put it. They're still pretty good though.

Natrushka
Wed, Sep-19-01, 17:46
Originally posted by Raven
The black olives taste different from the green ones to me. They're not quite as spicy or tangy

In that case I think they're just right for me ;) I will give them a try in the next few days. I'm feeling so adventerous. First Olives, then avocados, now black olives.... salmon cant be far behind (shudder!)

N

tamarian
Wed, Sep-19-01, 17:47
I think this thread has enough great recipes to justify moving it to the kitchen!

What do you think, Nat?

Wa'il

Karen
Wed, Sep-19-01, 17:56
There are so many different varieties of black olives that there will probably be one to suit everyone's taste. The wrinkled dried Morrocan ones can be especially sweet, and the small Nicoise are very fragrant. The only ones I think are gakky are the California pitted black olives, which start out as green and are turned black by being treated with iron.

Karen

Natrushka
Wed, Sep-19-01, 18:03
Originally posted by tamarian
I think this thread has enough great recipes to justify moving it to the kitchen!
What do you think, Nat?

mmmmm I think it's in the kitchen, Mr Webmaster ;)

N

tamarian
Wed, Sep-19-01, 18:07
Originally posted by Natrushka

mmmmm I think it's in the kitchen, Mr Webmaster ;)

N

Well I didn't do it! And too bad it's not in my kitchin. ;)

Wa'il

wadimom
Wed, Sep-19-01, 21:01
Originally posted by Natrushka

In that case I think they're just right for me ;) I will give them a try in the next few days. I'm feeling so adventerous. First Olives, then avocados, now black olives.... salmon cant be far behind (shudder!)

N

You don't like salmon? We love it in this house. We just can't get it all the time and when we do, it's wildly expensive!!! So, go eat some salmon for me, ;) Then you can look forward to smoked eel - a melt in your mouth delicacy, Truly!!!

L

Natrushka
Thu, Sep-20-01, 10:24
Originally posted by wadimom

You don't like salmon? We love it in this house. We just can't get it all the time and when we do, it's wildly expensive!!! So, go eat some salmon for me, ;) Then you can look forward to smoked eel - a melt in your mouth delicacy, Truly!!!
L

Ok, now you're scaring me, Lorrie!! I had a very bad encounter with a fish stick as a child :rolleyes: fish and I.... well until now we didnt get a long. Ironic when you consider I spend about a week a month out East where every other thing on the menu is either Hallibut, cod or salmon. But.. I will try. I think my boyfriend is preparing salmon this week. :eek:

Nat

Janjan
Fri, Sep-21-01, 10:37
Now I was sure I read in one of the books that the red stuff inside the olives isnt really pimento and is very high in carbs?

Karen
Fri, Sep-21-01, 12:02
Did the book offer any suggestions for what this red substance might be?

Karen

doreen T
Sat, Sep-22-01, 20:39
My jar of Unico stuffed Manzanilla olives indicates that the red strip stuffed into the olive is composed of pimento, sodium alginate (from seaweed) and guar gum. Likely to keep it solid and uniform to stuff into the olives. Mostly vegetable fibers. Minimal carbs.

Doreen

CHEN
Sun, Sep-23-01, 17:43
I love Creamcheese & Olives (used to eat sandwiches) but even the old appetizer of Creamcheese & olives on top of celery is really great. I have always loved this so now be able to eat it on low carb is great! It's a legal treat. Can't beat that.

shelley
Sun, Sep-23-01, 21:09
That sounds perfectly yummy. I must try that on my low carb http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/otn/blobs/boldpurple.gif tortillas.