PDA

View Full Version : Sauces

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tara
Fri, Sep-14-01, 14:20
Does anybody have any "all purpose" (meaning beef, pork or chicken) sauce recipes? Since I've been on Atkins, I've been sticking primarily to butter and/or spices becuase I don't want to ruin my dinner with an experimental sauce! Also, I've never made any sauces that didn't use flour or cornstarch so I don't really know where to begin with experimenting.

Thanks in advance!

Sharon
Fri, Sep-14-01, 14:50
Here's a link where we discussed thickening agents before. Other members may have some new ideas as well.

http://www.lowcarber.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12647

cyntalkalo
Fri, Sep-14-01, 17:50
4Brothers sauces (alfredo) aren't real high in carbs. I don't have any on had but I think they are like 4carbs per l/2 cup. So with a salad and your meat with broccoli & sauce the carbs are low and its a healthy filling meal.

Tara
Fri, Sep-14-01, 20:07
That sounds good, I'll give it a try. Thanks cyntalkalo and Sharon.

Tara
Thu, Sep-20-01, 12:10
I was putzing around the natural grocer and I found 2 soups with less than 1 carb per serving. Chicken broth and mushroom broth. I bought 'em and took them home to play with. I lightly whipped up about 1/2 cup heavy cream and used the suggested serving size of soup, and voila! I had creamy soups (which made for some pretty good, if a bit runny, sauces too)!

With the cold weather coming, I've been looking for some nice rich soups and sauces to snuggle up with on those icky days and I think I've found my bases for them. I'm planning on messing with them again and adding chicken to the chicken cream and beef to the mushroom cream and maybe some onions to both (and more stuff as I think of it).

Just thought I'd share! If you guys want to know the brand names, holler. They're at home so I can post them tonight if anybody is interested. :D