PDA

View Full Version : What are pork rinds????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Anay
Wed, Sep-12-01, 14:21
I have heard so muck talk about pork rinds. What exactally are they? I would love to add a new free food to my list, but these sound a bit weird.

-Anay

bluugirl
Wed, Sep-12-01, 14:26
hi anay,
they are fried pork skins.. very fluffy, you would find them most places (at least in california) in the chips/pretzels aisle. they are a free food, but read the ingredients too, as some brands add stuff to it which increase carbs.

Natrushka
Wed, Sep-12-01, 18:33
I have to admit, pork rinds freaked me out when I first thought of putting one in my mouth. Deep fried pork. But they're great. Not just as a snack either. Pork rinds could be the bread crumbs of low carb. They make a great breading for meats and veggies, and like zucchini they take on the taste of whatever they are being used with. Can you believe they are the main ingredient in Low Carb French Toast? and its yummy???

Nat

kezza
Tue, Oct-30-01, 04:12
I have not had any success finding prkrinds for sale in Brisbane, Aussie. So unless some of my fellow Aussie low- carbers can tell me where to look i'd love a recipe so I can indulge in this free food myself.
Is it a bit like pork crackling??
thanks,
kezza :confused: :daze:

bluugirl
Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:09
i ate some yesterday - i had an *upset* stomache the whole day. anyone know why? i'm sure it was from the pork rinds b/c i got sick within 20-30 mins after eating them.

Fumih_81
Sat, Nov-03-01, 00:15
Hi all

I wonder does anyone knows if pork rinds are available in Singapore? I have actually asked my friend in Indiana to scout for pork rinds. But she said she couldnt get any...~ :cool:

I mean pork rinds are often available in the whole United States right?

There's actually this kind of preserved meat product in Singapore call Pork Floss & Chicken floss...if not for its high sugar content, i would have eaten that :p

Are pork rinds best at being eaten on its own? Or would it be better to be eaten with other kinds of foods?

I have bought slim jim here, but dont seem to like the taste of it. It is rather salty and sour..~

Deirdre
Sat, Nov-03-01, 10:33
Pork rinds are nothing like slim jim. They are more like a potato chip snack type thing. I actually found a picture of a package of pork rinds, let's see if I can figure out how to attach it! They're ok by themselves but I use them more as a replacement for breadcrumbs, I put them through the food processor and use them as breading, in meat loaf, to make pancakes...

Fumih_81
Sun, Nov-04-01, 19:45
Hi Deirdre

Thanks for the picture of pork rinds packet....i think singapore still does not have such a snack except there is such thing as dried Pork skin to go with soup dishes~ hahaa

I try to check out again for pork rinds!

;)

Ka3n
Sun, Nov-04-01, 22:28
Kezza:Is it a bit like pork crackling??
When I was in Texas they called them crackings. I saw them being fried once in Louisianna in a huge vat of cooking oil. I never saw them in the raw state...not sure that I want to either ;) . Good luck finding them. Let us know if you find a way to make them, maybe Fumih_81 and others might be able to make them, too, :wave:

City Gent
Sun, Dec-09-01, 16:57
Pork Rinds are known as Pork Scratchings in the UK (probably have a few names depending where in the country you live)

someone asked if they are best eaten on their own.... I hate to say this, but they are best eaten with a nice cold beer or two!!!!

They are just like the crackling of a joint of pork (i.e. they are the skin and fat from a pig - fried! A nice simple description!!)
hope this helps

steve

IslandGirl
Mon, Dec-10-01, 18:06
...LowCarb Products forum as well. Often discussed, these are...

Consider using the Search function as well... Amazing amount of info is already in the Forum and vastly entertaining as well!

PS: I use them as "dippers" where I would previously have used, say, crackers or potato chips.