PDA

View Full Version : Appetizer Ideas

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sharon
Thu, Nov-23-00, 12:59
Curious as to what "appetizer Ideas or sit around munching ideas" others have for the Christmas season. I have a couple of outings I need to take things to, and thought somebody else might have better ideas than I do.

Of course, we can do the veggie and cheese thing.

tamarian
Thu, Nov-23-00, 13:24
Tammi just posted a new recipe for Mozzarella Sticks in our Recipes/Snack section. Sounds yummy!

Wa'il

Lainey
Thu, Nov-23-00, 18:10
How about a Hot Shrimp Dip or an Artichoke Dip? Serve with veggies.

Sharon
Thu, Nov-23-00, 20:53
I like that idea...could you share these recipes please??

Lainey
Thu, Nov-23-00, 22:50
Artichoke dip (carb count undetermined)

8 oz cream cheese
12 oz mozzarella, shredded
1 c mayo
1 c grated parmesan
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 small jars marinated artichoke hearts

Tear artichokes apart. Combine all ingredients and mash (or mix in a KitchenAid mixer).
Bake in an uncovered casserole dish for approx 30 min at 350 degrees til bubbly. Serve hot.

Jen
Mon, Nov-27-00, 19:17
Here is a favorite of mine:

STUFFED SNOW PEAS

Blanch any amount of snow peas you want (very briefly, you want the crunchiness to be there)
Cool in iced water.
Dry with paper towel.
Carefully split each pod open (you can remove the little peas inside but not necessary).
Mix together either mashed crab, shrimp, lobster, with mayo, finely chopped onion, Worcestershire sauce and the seasonings of your choice. (I like dill, salt and pepper)
Stuff the snow peas.
This may be a bit time consuming, but worth it.

Tasty, crunchy, LC. I love it.
Jen :)

KRISTY
Thu, Nov-30-00, 05:16
Hi to all.

Here is one of my favourites.

SHRIMP DIP
1 pkg of 8 ounce cream cheese,
1/2 cup of mayo.
l small tin of shrimp (drained)
1 teaspoon of chopped onion,
1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic.
Mix all to-gether and refrigerate.

Crab and lobster may be used instead of shrimp, or if you are a seafood lover like I am I use shrimp, crab, lobster, all to-gether and triple the recipe.

I use pork rinds to dip with and let everyone else use those crackers full of carbs. Yuck!

Hope you try and enjoy.

KRISTY

Sharon
Thu, Nov-30-00, 08:11
Thanks...appreciate all your ideas. I saw the fairy, did you see the fairy????

shae
Tue, Apr-16-02, 16:47
I was reading an old post about a recipe from Tammy for mozza sticks, but I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help me?

shae

Karen
Wed, Apr-17-02, 00:33
Try the search function at the top of the page. Type in mozzarella and Tammy and you may well be able to find it.

Karen

shae
Wed, Apr-17-02, 09:05
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the help Karen. Unfortunately no luck!

shae :wave:

Karen
Wed, Apr-17-02, 09:43
Click low-carb recipes at the top of the page, click readers recipes then click snacks. You will find it there.

Karen

shae
Mon, Apr-22-02, 09:28
Hey Karen,

I still can't find it! I clicked on low carb recipes & couldn't find readers recipes. Is it a forum or a thread? I looked in quick meals & snacks but couldn't find it there either. Help!!

shae :confused:

tlawson
Mon, Apr-22-02, 09:59
Shae,

Click low carb recipes on the orange bar. When the page opens, directly under the orange bar (above Karen's picture) it says "go to readers low carb recipes" - click on that and then you will find the recipe under "Snacks". It is near the bottom of the page. Hope that helps!

Theresa :wave:

shae
Mon, Apr-22-02, 10:12
Theresa,

I found it!! Thank you

:wave:

shae :roll:

JudyW
Thu, Nov-20-08, 12:46
I'm looking for a low carb shrimp cocktail sauce recipe -- anyone out there have anything?
Thanks in advance :)

Kisal
Thu, Nov-20-08, 13:43
I just used Google and came up with several recipes. Here is just one:

(From Bella Online: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29753.asp)

Low Carb Cocktail Sauce Recipe

Cocktail sauce is the perfect accompaniment to shrimp. It adds a tangy zest to the low key flavor that shrimp offers. Here's a recipe to make yourself a low carb cocktail sauce.

In essence, a cocktail sauce is just ketchup with spices in it. Feel free to make this more or less spicey, based on your own personal preferences.

6 Tbsp ketchup [use Heinz Reduced Sugar ketchup (1g carb/T), or make your own. K.]
4 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp horseradish
celery salt
tabasco

Mix everything together, using the celery salt and tabasco to make it as spicy or salty as you wish. Use to spice up your cocktail shrimp or other seafood dishes.

Now, to calculate the carbs. Luckily, the things you tend to use this on - like shrimp - are zero carb. If you go with low carb ketchup, you can get it at about 1g per Tbsp. The lemon juice is going to be about 2.5g. The rest is pretty tiny as far as carbs go.

Remember, you're not eating this entire batch yourself :) So even if it's 8.5g total, that is only about 1g per individual serving. It can be great for adding a burst of flavor to your seafood dishes.

JudyW
Thu, Nov-20-08, 13:50
Great - thanks Kisal!
I just found some Heinz Low Carb Catsup at WalMart today so I'll be able to try this out!

LittleZu
Sat, Dec-06-08, 07:53
I made these this week and my non-low-carb friends about cleaned me out of them. They'd be awesome for a party, I serve them with sour cream (or eat them with a salad and sour cream)

Taco Meatballs (http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-snackhot07.html)

I actually fry these ina pan, the cheese tends to stay put better that way. :)

Bru88
Sat, Dec-06-08, 08:43
My favorite is Prosciutto and bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp, my grandkids even asked if they would be on the Christmas buffet this year! Stuffed mushrooms are another biggie. I like doing a pulling pork with LC BBQ sauce to, or BBQ meatballs! All sorts of hot cheese dips, with veggie's mixed in. Stuffed bacon wrapped jalopeno's or green chiles, for the weaker of hearts! Those are some of my favorites...Bru :wave:

cindie
Mon, Dec-08-08, 14:56
Sausage Balls

1 lb. hot breakfast sausage
1 8 oz. shredded cheddar
1 1/2 cup Carb Quik
1 tea. garlic powder
2 T. parmesan cheese

Let sausage and cheese get room temp. Mix all well with hands. Shape into small balls and bake on cookie sheet ~ 350 for about 12 minutes. You can mix 1/2 cup mayo with 1 T. mustard as a dipping sauce.

IrishShrty
Tue, Dec-09-08, 04:26
Green peppers or Jalepenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon and cooked at 350 for about 40 mins is yummy too:)

Ptrcmcc6
Sat, Dec-27-08, 12:48
My boyfriend buys these frozen shrimp hors-d'oeuvres which are delicious and probably can be homemade instead of the frozen box which he gets. They are basically a large shrimp, slice of asiago cheese, small piece of hot pepper (habenaro maybe), wrapped in bacon and then baked. You might have to pre-cook your bacon a little before wrapping because I would think the bacon takes a little longer to cook than the shrimp but to me....it sounds do-able. Haven't pesonally tried it yet although I plan on it one of these days.