PDA

View Full Version : Sept. - Let's Talk About Salad Dressings

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sharon
Fri, Sep-07-01, 15:27
I often make my own salad dressings i.e. Oil and Vinegar, Greek Salad Dressing. I usually only make enough for what I'm using them for at the time and maybe the next day. If I'm using it the next day I usually just keep it at room temperature.

I'm wondering if anyone who makes their dressings knows how long we can safely keep them. Also how do you store them??

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-07-01, 15:34
Sharon, as long as there's no egg or sour cream in them they should keep a VERY long time in the fridge. I make a dijon vinegrette that keeps for at least a month. I don't use olive oil, however, as it has a tendancy to glob up when refridgerated.

Nat

Sharon
Fri, Sep-07-01, 16:30
Yes, I know what you mean, but I just think my Great Greek Salad Dressing needs Olive Oil. I would really like to be able to have some made ahead of time, if you know what I mean!! Also, lets the oregano and garlic flavour through, but doesn't work when it goes in the frig. I'm convinced there has to be a solution...

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-07-01, 19:33
Ok, I had an idea but .... I had one, thought better of it, then thought better of thinking better about it.

Here goes

I've been making my dressing with a third flaxseed oil and it hasnt altered the taste (I've even substituted splenda for the sugar to make it more low carb). since flax is supposed to be refridgerated, maybe it would counteract the olive oil gloming up? Then that means you have to refridgerate it. aaarrgggg. Could you take it out an hour before you're going to use it? (assuming it works)

rambling, sorry :rolleyes:
Nat

doreen T
Fri, Sep-07-01, 19:50
Flax is very susceptible to air, light and warmth. It needs to be consumed fairly soon after pouring it from the bottle, especially if you've mixed/shaken/stirred it into a dressing. So, it's not a keeper for several days, unfortunately. It oxidizes rapidly ... oxidation of oil = rancid... :(

I make salad dressings to keep over a few days ... i use Extra virgin olive oil, and yes, it clouds up and solidifies somewhat ... that's a good sign that it has lots of monounsaturates in it ... :cool: ... I just take it out of the fridge 1/2 to 1 hr before I dinner .. or if it's just for me .. shake it up baby .. and pour it on the salad globs and all .. it quickly melts and coats the greens just fine.

I agree with Sharon, I like the flavours and herbs to blend and mingle for at least overnight, and better even after a couple days.

Doreen

Karen
Fri, Sep-07-01, 19:59
This gives me an idea. Let's start a "favourite salad dressing" thread.

Karen

Sharon
Fri, Sep-07-01, 20:05
Great idea Karen, you go first!! This also gives me another idea....maybe we should have a favourite "sticky" of the month...i.e. September could be Salad Dressings, October could be Vegetable Recipes, November could be "Snack Foods"..etc., where everyone could post their ideas and recipes.

What do you think? Just a quickie thought.

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-07-01, 20:14
Good one. Let me know when its "peanut butter cookie recipe month" I'm testing out a few this weekend :D

Nat

jomil
Fri, Sep-07-01, 20:55
I was very interested to find a thread on home made salad dressing.

I have been making my own for many years, and I am very pleased with the results.

I found the recipe in Dr. A's book, and it is basically an oil, vinegar, mustard and various spices combination.

I always use exra virgin olive oil and taragon, or basil, or red wine vinegar, plus powdered hot mustard, and lots of garlic. Also includes lemon juice, salt and pepper.

I make at least 1 to 1 1/2 cups each time and store it in a sealed jar in the pantry. I have never had it turn bad on me, even though I do not keep it in the refrigerator. It does not last too long because I eat salads practically every day.

I use to keep it in the fridge years ago until I read somewhere that the oil would not spoil in room temperature.

If I keep the dressing too long in the jar, I find that it gets a stronger flavour.

Should I be keeping this jar in the fridge?

If I am incorrect in this please let me know.

Regards
Joe

Karen
Fri, Sep-07-01, 22:31
Originally posted by Sharon
Great idea Karen, you go first!! This also gives me another idea....maybe we should have a favourite "sticky" of the month...i.e. September could be Salad Dressings, October could be Vegetable Recipes, November could be "Snack Foods"..etc., where everyone could post their ideas and recipes.

What do you think? Just a quickie thought.

Great idea! :D

Karen

Karen
Fri, Sep-07-01, 22:41
Creamy Shallot Dressing
Makes about 1/2 cup

2 Tbsp. finely chopped shallots or green onion
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. sour cream or whipping cream

Stir the shallots, salt and vinegar together until the salt dissolves. Stir in the mustard and then slowly beat in the olive oil to form an emulsion. Stir in the cream.

Total Calories: 603
Fat: 65 grams
Carbs: 6 grams
Protein: 2 grams

shelley
Sat, Sep-08-01, 09:06
This is one of my favorites;

10 ounces spinach, washed and trimmed
1 head Boston lettuce
1 clove garlic trimmed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons walnut oil
pepper

slowly whisk in oil a little at a time.
(walnut oil MUST be kept in refrigerator)

calories 53
protein 1g
total fat 5g
carbohydrates 2g
serves 8

Natrushka
Sat, Sep-08-01, 09:27
Dijon Dill Vinegrette

- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp splenda
- pinch salt & ground pepper corns
- fresh dill (to taste, I use A LOT)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (it also tastes great if you cook the whole garlic bulb in tinfoil for 45 minutes @ 350F then squeeze out the paste as you need it. Be sure to cut off the tips and dab with oil before baking)

Total Recipe Count:
calories = 978
fat = 108
carbs = 8
fiber = 0
protein = 1

Nat

Sharon
Sat, Sep-08-01, 10:30
Greek Salad Dressing

1 clove of garlic (chopped fine)
1/2 cup Virgin Olive Oil
4 tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper ( a couple good shakes)
Oregano (to your liking, approx. 1 tsp.)

Mix everything all together. For my salad, I usually use Romaine lettuce, cucumber pieces, red onion, green pepper, broken pieces of feta (yummy), tomatoes pieces and black olives. Pour the dressing on your salad just before it's time to eat.

Total counts for entire recipe:
Calories - 960
Fat - 110
Carbs - 4.6
Fibre - .1
Protein - .2

Counts are only for salad dressing, not the salad.

Natrushka
Sat, Sep-08-01, 15:26
Now I have to pick one of these to make tonight!! Decisions, decisions........:(

N

Natrushka
Sat, Sep-15-01, 20:47
Ok, I made Shelley's walnut vinegrette and Karen's creamy shallot dressing. Both were great. I was surprized how much the walnut dressing tasted like mine. Good to know. We enjoyed the shallot dressing this evening... what a nice change. Going to make some more of this to take down to Bvillle tomorrow for BBQ.

thx all for sharing your recipes
Nat

Robin
Mon, Sep-17-01, 19:09
Just thought I would contribute...

My absolute favourite this month! My SIL's Raspberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette. I substituted the sugar for Splenda. Serve this over the "fancy" greens, and, if allowed, slice in a few strawberries.

Raspberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

1 tablespoon onion juice (1/4 onion buzzed in the blender)
1/2 cup Splenda
1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon English Mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

Put the first 5 ingredients into a blender and blend on high. Add the oil in a steady stream. Add the poppy seeds at the end and blend. The idea here is to make mayonnaise type product, so blend until it is creamy.

It does separate but just give it a shake and it's all mixed up again! Enjoy.

Sharon
Mon, Sep-17-01, 19:50
Thanks for adding to our collection Robin...looks great.

Karen
Tue, Sep-18-01, 03:00
Raspberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

Using a liquid sweetener would lower the carbs considerably in this tasty sounding vinaigrette!

Karen

Robin
Tue, Sep-18-01, 19:33
Doh! :daze:

Why didn't I think of that. Probably because the first time I made it, we didn't have any liquid in the house. I'm so proud of myself for substituting Splenda that I forgot how much lower the liquid is.

There's an unopened bottle now sitting on the shelf. Have to try that next time. :D

doreen T
Sat, Sep-22-01, 19:55
Well, this one is entirely my own invention. :D

Serves 4

8 oz (225g) pkg fresh baby spinach leaves
1 small Hass avocado (black skin) ~ 1 cup diced
1 large green onion, minced
1 small red pepper, roasted ~ 1/2 cup peeled, seeded and diced
2 oz (60g) lightly toasted walnut pieces
2 tsp capers, chopped

dressing:
2 Tbsp (30 ml) E.D.Smith Midnight Raspberry sugar-free jam (sweetened with sucralose/Splenda) 2.4 carbs per Tbsp/15 ml
1 tsp (5 ml) "grainy" dijon mustard, w. mustard seeds
1 tsp (5 ml) balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 ml) distilled red wine vinegar
3/4 tsp (4 ml) liquid SugarTwin (= 1 Tbsp sugar)
2 Tbsp (45 ml) toasted walnut oil
4 Tbsp (45 ml) unrefined canola or safflower oil
1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt (optional)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Make in advance if desired and refrigerate .... let stand at room temp for 30 min before adding to salad.
- Have salad ingredients ready in advance, and chill.
- Just before serving, toss salad ingredients and dressing together.

Nutrient Data: for the whole salad

calories: 1321
Fat: 129g
Carbs: 39g / Fiber: 20g = 19g ECC
Protein: 20g

per serving (1/4 recipe) -
calories: 330
Fat: 26.8
Carbs: 9.7g / Fiber: 5g = 4.7g ECC
Protein: 5g

Enjoy!!

Doreen

p.s. - I had this with lamb loin chops, simply dressed w. olive oil and a grinding of black pepper, and broiled. :yum:

doreen T
Sat, Sep-22-01, 20:12
For the above recipe ..... if you can't find Toasted Walnut Oil, then use 6 Tbsp (90 ml) of the mild canola or safflower oil, plus 1 tsp (5 ml) of dark toasted sesame oil. The salad is delicious with just plain mild oil, but the toasted nut oils give such a nice flavour.

Doreen

Karen
Sun, Sep-23-01, 01:47
I'm copying Doreens's lead and posting a whole salad...

This is a refreshing change from Greek salad and the peppers are quite succulent. You can eat it as a meal as well as an accompaniment to meat. Pork is especially good with it or you can add a few shrimp or strips of chicken.

Red Lettuce Salad with Roasted Peppers, Feta and Marjoram Vinaigrette
Serves 6

1 small head raddichio
1 head red leaf lettuce
3 medium red peppers, roasted, peeled and cut into 1-inch strips
1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. finely chopped shallots
1/2 tsp. salt
2 drops Stevia
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh marjoram, or 3/4 tsp. dried
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Wash and dry the lettuce. Core and separate the raddichio leaves. Tear both into medium-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and refrigerate until serving time.

Whisk the vinegar, shallots, salt, Stevia and marjoram together. Slowly beat in the olive oil and pepper.

To serve, scatter the peppers and feta over the salad. Whisk the dressing to recombine the ingredients and drizzle over the salad. Serve immediately.

Total Calories: 3935
Total Fat: 408 grams/3676 calories
Total Carbs: 47 grams/146 calories
Total Fiber: 11 grams/0 calories
Total Protein: 39 grams/158 calories

Karen

Karen
Sun, Sep-23-01, 01:51
This was a great idea Sharon. What are you planning for October? Turkey talk? ;)

Karen

Sharon
Sun, Sep-23-01, 13:10
Hi Karen, I think we'll go with Vegetable Dishes for October. I'm hoping since we've just had our vegetable growing season that someone's been creative in the kitchen using things from their gardens. (Who am I to look for garden creativity though, since I don't have a garden anymore!!) Pumpkins can be covered in the Vegetable category as I'm sure someone must have a great pumpkin pie recipe. That way we'll have a dessert idea for the Thanksgiving holidays.

I thought perhaps we could use Holiday Meal ideas for November as that would cover our American friends Thanksgiving, plus give the rest of us a lead on Christmas ideas. I was thinking about Appetizers for December as a lot of folks entertain during the holidays and it would be nice to have some new ideas.

What do you think??

Sharon
Sun, Sep-23-01, 13:20
Doreen, my apologies when I posted your recipe in the Members Low Carb Recipes I forgot to include that it was from the September 2001 - "Let's Talk About Salad Dressings". I wanted to include this on all the recipes, so that we'd remember where they originated.

Your recipe looks great. I have a recipe where I roast the peppers and then add them to prawns. Makes for a great taste.

Karen, I've never used the red leaf lettuce before, in your recipe, but it sounds wonderful. I'm sure they must carry it where I shop. Both these recipes look like "company's coming to dinner" ideas.

Thanks Ladies.

Karen
Sun, Sep-23-01, 13:29
Sounds fab Sharon! I have a pumpkin chiffon pie up my sleeve...

What about soup for January as we'll all be needing some warmth by then. Our warm weather friends can post gazpacho and other cold soup recipes! LOL!

You can use green leaf lettuce, but the red does look nice. Don't save the salads for company. Treat yourself!

Karen

Sharon
Sun, Sep-23-01, 13:34
Soup does sound good...I was actually thinking about Induction Recipes for January as the New Year is usually the "resolution time".

Karen
Sun, Sep-23-01, 16:07
Think I'll be going away for January then... ;)

Don't know if I'll be ready for the onslaught of "one post wonders"!

Karen

Sharon
Sun, Sep-23-01, 17:23
Soup works for me!!! Can't live without it!! ;) ;)

Karen
Sun, Sep-23-01, 17:46
Beautiful soup, so rich and green,
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful soup!

Why the evening? I think we need a LC breakfast soup. It would great for those who needed something fast in the morning.

I did a search on "soup of the evening, beautiful soup" and found this site. It looks pretty cool!
soupsong.com (http://www.soupsong.com/)

Karen

Sharon
Mon, Sep-24-01, 05:05
You're right Karen, we can have soup for Breakfast!!!!!! Interesting site... I have a feeling "soup" might be the right choice.

Keep the smiles coming.

Muse
Thu, Sep-27-01, 09:54
I don't pretend to know alot about this, however, I think I read some posts mentionning bringing the salad dressing out for about an hour (out of the fridge) beforehand, or some people storing dressings at room temperatrue.

Just please be careful if there is any garlic in those recipes...botchilism is a real thing, and very scary. I tried making flavoured oils when i saw them in the stores but had read about this concern...phoned health/nutrition Canada (can't remember the exact branch, it was years ago) and she severely cautionned me!...saying garlic in oil MUST be refrigerated, at a low temp, AND when using it don't have it out for more than 15 min.

I'm sure someone here will know more of the science than I pretend to...but just be careful when it comes to garlic and oil at room temperature.

Muse

ps. I posted this site, probably in the wrong place, but it is for Renee's salad dressings (Canada) and gives the carb counts for each! LOW CARB!!! yay! ....sometimes, I just can't be a slave to the kitchen! :daze: http://www.renees.com/products.asp?page=1#nutritional

debbiedobson
Fri, Sep-28-01, 09:36
muse, thank-you for posting the renee's link. i tried the site quiet awhile ago and the didn't have the food counts. i called one time for the poppy seed, so i knew that one. i always have the caesar, feta, blue cheese and poppy seed in my fridge. i love the blue cheese as a dip! the poppy seed is great on spinach salad! i like to use them when i'm in a rush. we also eat lots and lots fo salads, so i like to always have different salads w/different dressing. dave's favourite is my own oil and vinegar, though!

Sharon
Fri, Sep-28-01, 12:01
Muse, thanks for the word of advice....think I'll do some research myself and see what I can find out.

Ka3n
Thu, Oct-04-01, 16:48
:wave: Hey there! I thought I'd share these. They're from the "Dr. Atkins New Diet Cookbook"

Our favorite Roquefort Dressing

0.4 carbs per TBS

1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
1/4 teasp. seasoned salt
3 turns of pepper mill
6 TBS olive oil
2 TBS heavy cream
1/2 teasp lemon juice
1/4 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese

Beat all ingredients together except the cheese. Stir in the cheese.

Dressing of the House

0.4 grams carbs per TBS
2 TBS olive oil
4 TBS vegetable oil
2 TBS tarragon vinegar
1 tsp. seasoned salt (I used reg. sea salt)
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 TBS mayo
1/4 tsp sugar substitute (I omitted this)

Put all ingredients in a screw top jar, shake until everything is well blended.

odd sock
Sat, Mar-09-02, 09:33
40g (1.5 oz.) blue cheese [i like Roquefort best]
2 small cloves of garlic, grated into paste
1 tsp salt
1 rounded tsp mustard powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
150 ml (5 fl. oz.) sour cream
2 tablespoons good quality mayonaise
2 minced spring/green onions
fresh ground black pepper

Blenderise this until smooth!

chewie1012
Sun, Apr-14-02, 17:48
Here is my personal favorite soup quote. ps I love to make soup it does wonders for the wears and tears of life. Does anyone know of a good creamy garlic recipe? I have copied all of the recipes listed above and plan on trying all of them. I went to the store to get some ingredients to make a greek salad. There was absolutely no bottled dressings that would work. So I came here and found this thread and voila! Sharon had just what I needed. Thanks ladies for all your input.

ERSmith45
Thu, May-23-02, 07:22
Hello,

Does anyone know how to make a low carb dressing that has the sweetness like regular cole slaw dressing? :confused:

Always, :rheart: Ela

wangeci
Thu, May-23-02, 10:07
I think if you find a good cole slaw dressing recipe, just substitute the sugar with pourable splenda, that should be the only adjustment you need to make and it should taste just fine.

good luck
Cindy

chewie1012
Fri, May-24-02, 21:21
I would like to make a good creamy italian that is slightly sweet. Any ideas anyone, Karen?

Karen
Sat, May-25-02, 00:38
I'm not too sure what you mean by a creamy Italian. What about Ranch with Parmesan, a touch of oregano, basil and AS. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Karen

Bonnie
Sat, May-25-02, 03:33
Caesar Salad Dressing

Recipe By: Bonnie

Caesar Salad Dressing

Ingredients:

1 cup President's Choice Mayonnaise
1 large fresh whole egg
1/2 cup Zerto shredded parmesean cheese
2 tablespoons PC Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Anchovy Paste
3 cloves of fresh garlic pressed (adjust to taste)
2 teaspoons Splenda
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
2 tablespoons PC Creamed Horseradish

Method: In a food processor or mixing bowl combine all ingredients except the olive oil. Combine to a creamy consistency and slowly pour the oil to thicken. Makes approximately two cups with 6 carbs total including croutons.
Tear Romaine lettuce in mid sized pieces. Toast one slice of Gabi's cheese Bread, butter and sprinkle with garlic powder. Cut into cubes. Toss romaine and croutons with dressing and an extra sprinkling of Zerto shaved Parmesean Cheese.

chewie1012
Sat, May-25-02, 07:18
Bonnie
Thank you. I have seen that recipe before. It looks delicious but is not what I was thinking about.

Karen,
Here in the states there is a Ken's Steakhouse Brand of dressing. Creamy Italian. It is like Italian Dressing. It is more sweet than savory. It is creamy. Here is what it has: Soybean oil, Water, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Sour Cream Solids, Salt, Garlic, Red Bell Pepper, Zanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol Alginate,(my favorite ingredient :D ) Polysorbate 60, Spice, Onion Calcium Disodium, EDTA as a preservative. I would like to be able to make a low carb version of this. I would also like to stay away from buttermilk as I am not crazy about it. Does this give you something to go on? Actually the bottle only says 2 grams of carbs but the fourth ingredient is corn syrup. That is quite a bit of sugar.

Karen
Sat, May-25-02, 08:08
I would do a Ranch with mayo, sour cream and half water, half oil instead of the buttermilk with vinegar/lemon juice and AS to taste. Maybe a bit of onion flakes?

Do the red pepper flakes add flavour or just colour?

Karen

chewie1012
Sat, May-25-02, 08:27
I think it is red pepper (sweet).

Karen
Sat, May-25-02, 08:44
I was wondering if it was flecks or if the dressing was pinkish in colour. If pinkish, you could whiz it all up in a blender with say 1/4 if a chopped red pepper. It would add extra sweetness and would be good in a dressing anyway!

Karen

Bonnie
Sat, May-25-02, 08:55
In actuality I did not see your previous post requesting help for a certain dressing...I opened this thread because it was started by Sharon...a gal that I admired and had great respect for...as I read further down saw another from Debbie Dobson...another cutie...whatever happened to these folks...they had alot of personality and valid info to offer here...I then noticed a suggestion to post favorite salad dressing recipes and that is when I posted one that I use all the time... am confident though Chewie that someone will come up with just what you are looking for :thup:

Bonnie

chewie1012
Sat, May-25-02, 12:10
Karen,
What do you think about this? I found it through google.
CREAMY ITALIAN DRESSING

Makes 1-1/4 cups
Per serving (2 Tbsp.): 162 calories; 0.3 carbohydrates; 0 fiber

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup diced onion
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar (equivalent in sugar-free sweetener)
3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
It didn't say it but I might add some finely chopped red pepper as well. For the italian seasoning I just figured I would add oregano and basil.

DebPenny
Sun, May-26-02, 21:41
1. Cultured milk products (sour cream, buttermilk, yogurt, creme fraiche) will last over a month. We are told often that they only last a couple weeks and if you look at the expiration dates, they sometimes are only for a couple weeks, although some of them go for more than that. I make my own buttermilk and don't eat it all that fast. I have had it last over 1 1/2 months without going bad. And I have had store-bought sour cream last over two months.

2. Dressings made with olive oil can be kept in the pantry for whatever length of time the other ingredients can stand. If you use dried seasonings and vinegar, they can keep for a couple months or more, just keep the container sealed tightly. And they will get stronger as the oil and vinegar draw the flavor out of the spices. Oil, vinegar, and mustard are all three condiments that do not need refrigeration.

I'm sorry for the rant, but it seems to me that we have become a throw-away culture who is also so afraid of food contamination that we don't rely on many foods' natural preservative properties (i.e. mayonnaise's ability to prevent spoilage because of it's acidity - it's acutally the sugar that promotes spoilage in prepared foods).

So my next post will be my favorite Ranch Dressing.

;-Deb
:daizy:

DebPenny
Sun, May-26-02, 22:05
I make my own buttermilk out of extra-rich milk. This way I have an even better ratio of fat to carbs. I don't make my own yogurt, though, because I have found a really great whole milk organic yogurt at my local natural foods co-op. And I could make my own mayonnaise, but I love Best Foods Real Mayonnaise too much. ;) So here goes:

1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup whole milk yogurt
1 cup extra-rich buttermilk

Mix well and refrigerate. When I make a fresh batch, I usually let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. That way the seasonings have a chance to meld with the milks and mayonnaise.

I actually make a larger batch of dressing mix and store it in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid in the cupboard. Then I use a heaping tablespoon-full for a batch of dressing. So my measurements here are based on the bulk batch of dressing mix. You can multiply by whatever scale you want to make your own dressing mix.

[If you are not familiar with them, granulated garlic and onion are like very fine dried minced onion and garlic, I think. I just like them lots better than the powder versions.]

Figured on a 1/4 cup serving (2 tablespoons is way too little of this wonderful, rich dressing) has:

protein: 1.62 g
fat: 15.97 g
carbs: 2.64 (no fibre, sorry)

The one thing I have been missing terribly since I started TSP was Ranch Dressing. The recipes I found on SOAR for Ranch Dressing mix all had monosodium glutamate (Accent) in them. I don't use that. And I find that it is totally not necessary.

If you want to know how to make the buttermilk, here goes. It's really easy.

Get yourself a quart or half-gallon of extra-rich milk. Also get a small (half-pint if you can find it) carton of buttermilk for a starter. Have one or two "sterilized," quart-sized, glass mason jars with plastic lids available (the lids from mayonnaise containers are now plastic and work well, so do the jars for that matter).

Pour the milk in a saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon of the store-bought buttermilk for each cup of milk (i.e for one quart, add 4 tablespoons). You don't have to be exact.

Heat the milk over medium low heat just until the chill is out. Between 90 and 100 degrees works. Don't go over 100 degrees or you'll kill the cultures.

Pour the milk into the jar(s), cover lightly with waxed paper or a cloth and place them in a warm area of your kitchen. I have a non-electric yogurt maker that is really helpful because the 1-quart jar goes into an insulated container that keeps the temperature nice and steady.

Let the milk sit for 12 to 20 hours. When it is ready, the top will be thick and it will smell and taste like buttermilk, of course. ;) Put the lid(s) on and seal tightly. Shake to mix the thickened milk with the portion that is not so thick (it's thicker at the top).

This stuff will last for at least a month if not lots longer. For your next batch, you can use the last of the previous batch as your starter.

BTW: Sharon, thanks for starting this thread. It's cool and I'm going to have to try some of these recipes.

Enjoy,
;-Deb
:daizy:

Karen
Sun, May-26-02, 22:10
Originally posted by chewie1012
Karen, What do you think about this? I found it through google.

Looks good chewie! Have you tried it yet?

Karen

chewie1012
Tue, May-28-02, 08:51
Karen
Yes I made it for a fiftieth birthday party. It was good. It was a bit too sweet. I added maybe a little to much sweetner. I will make it again. It was just what I was looking for. Thank you!
Jerry

wcollier
Thu, Sep-05-02, 18:41
Originally posted by Natrushka
I don't use olive oil, however, as it has a tendancy to glob up when refridgerated.

Nat

I always keep my olive oil refridgerated (to protect the fats from being damaged), but when I need to use it, I just soak it in a container of hot water for a few minutes. It then takes several days to start to solidify once returned to the fridge. You should be able to do the same with a dressing that partially solidifies, I would think.

Wanda

AmberAA1
Tue, Oct-08-02, 19:06
When I make my salad dressing I put some feta right in the dressing, not chunks just pieces. Also use a garlic herb mix, it gives it a fresher taste. I tried some dill too, I prefer the fresh. It makes my greek salad or any salad rock. They have an off the wall brand called mediterranean Herb feta, I mix that in, with olive oil and red wine vinegar. It has all the herbs and seasoning right in it. I also omit the salt. It makes me retain water.
I use my good seasons cruet. Fill the oil to the oil line add feta/ and or seasonings water to the w line and vinegar to the v line. I normally use it by the third day. Tastes great.

Amber