PDA

View Full Version : pork tenderloin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Joyce Pari
Sun, Aug-26-01, 11:49
I have a pork tenderloin in my frig and i am looking for a sauce to accompany it.My sauces and marinades in the past don't work as they use fruit.Suggestions appreciated.

Have a good feeling day-which means -be good to yourself!

Thanks,Joyce

Kay
Sun, Aug-26-01, 15:24
I still have fond memories of the pork tenderloin I did for a woman who couldn't cook for herself. I sliced it into medallions, fried it in butter with some onion, seasoned with seasoning salt, and stirred in sour cream. It was wonderful.

Lucky you, Joyce. I never have pork tenderloin at home!!! :)

Karen
Sun, Aug-26-01, 16:53
Sounds fab Kay! You could saute up a few mushrooms and add a bit of Dijon at the end too.

A few more ideas for medallions...

Marinades:

Soy sauce, ginger, garlic and a touch of sweetener
Grainy mustard, rosemary and garlic
Oregano, lemon and garlic

Cook in olive oil, sprinkle with Parmesan, and add a little bit of chopped tomato, basil and thinly sliced spinach. Stir until the spinach wilts

Saltimbocca-Style
Pound the tenderloin so it flattens, slice lengthwise but not all the way through to open it like a "book". Lay down slices of prosciutto and cheese - fontina is good - roast and slice. Serve with sage leaves fried in butter as a sauce to which you have added a splash of balsamic vinegar

Paprikash
Saute in butter, remove from pan and fry a little bit of onion and green pepper. Add cream, sour cream and paprika. Return the medallions to the pan to reheat

Blue cheese dressing is always a good default!

Karen

alto
Fri, Nov-09-01, 12:14
Thanks for these. Pork tenderloin is on my shopping list this week, and I was looking for some sauces. Most of these I can actually do!!! :)

Glenda
Fri, Nov-09-01, 21:25
I tried a new recipe for pork tenderloin last night. Butterfly a pork tenderloin, so it is just about cut through. Then pound it to ½ inch thick. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Lay slices of provolone cheese on top, then layer it with 2 cups of spinach. Roll up lengthwise, and tie it. Sprinkle with more salt, pepper, and gralic powder. Place on a rack in a baking pan and bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes, then slice. Hubby and I really enjoyed this. Neither of us had ever tasted provolone cheese before, and it is great!!
I had some trouble rolling this up, and just ended up bringing it together at the top and tying it. I don't know if I flattened it enough, or if it was just a small tenderloin. Certainly is a recommendation though!!

Glenda

alto
Fri, Nov-09-01, 21:30
That sounds good too! Provolone is one of the few cheeses I really like :) I'll have it as a roll up with sliced deli roast beef for a snack or a quick lunch -- either cold or heated.

Now for my dumb tenderloin question. How long does raw pork keep in the refrigerator? My plan is to buy a tenderloin big enough for four meals (2 pounds) and ask the butcher to cut it into medallions (better him than me). I'd like to keep them in the fridge until I need them on four consecutive days, starting that night. I'd like to do them fresh every night -- will this work, all things being equal? I know I can ask the butcher, but he's not exactly a disinterested party.