PDA

View Full Version : Bake Mix

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Carmensqui
Thu, Aug-23-01, 20:02
Hi Everyone,

I had a recipe for Imitation Atkins Bake mix, that some man had posted to the web. He said it didn't have a lot of ingredients and worked fine. Any thoughts on where I might find this? I don't like paying $13.00 for a can of bake mix.

Thanks in advance,
Carmen

211/198/135

Sharon
Thu, Aug-23-01, 20:22
Hi....I knew I had a recipe tucked away somewhere for this. Unfortunately I haven't tried it... so I can't comment on it.

Sift together:

1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 TBSP baking soda
2 TBSP Splenda
1 tsp salt

I also found this information on the low-carb-recipe exchange board

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/low-carb-recipe-exchange/message/15864

Carmensqui
Thu, Aug-23-01, 20:46
Eureka!

Thanks anyway. Have any of you tried this? My health food store sold me soy protien isolate that feels VERY heavy. I'm surprised this recipe calls for 2 whole cups of it???????

Here it is in case you all missed it:

1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protien isolate
2 T baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 T Splenda

Stir together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper and things come out about the same.

You could try substituting soya powder (milder taste) for the soy flour and substituting egg protein for soy.

Thanks,
Carmen

211/198/135

Sharon
Fri, Aug-24-01, 05:29
Carmensqui

I've removed your e-mail address from your post. This is a strictly a safety precaution for you..

Let us know how you made out with the Bake Mix.

Carmensqui
Fri, Aug-24-01, 17:33
Yecch.

Tastes a lot like the soy flavored bread I made without the bake mix.

Maybe if I add a lot of cinnamon and leave out the salt. I tried a recipe for somone's Sticky Buns. They were great. My stores don't sell the "brown"Sugar Twin so I used (much less) of the "brown" Sweet-n-low.

These turned out so great that I want to make them without the topping and use them for cake or muffins or bread. Can you all tell I'm new at this? I just thought, for some odd reason, that the Atkins Bake Mix wwould be tasty...NOT.

So tonight I'm having stuffed zucchini, ala Dr. Atkins New Diet Cookbook. I'll post the recipies seperately.

Bye for now and thank you much,
Carmen