PDA

View Full Version : Good Recipes for Indian Food?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

herodl
Thu, Aug-23-01, 14:09
Does anyone have any good recipes for Indian food, especially something curried?

I tried a recipe yesterday for tandoori chicken off a LC site, and it was not good at all. I used to just buy premade pastes/marinades/sauces, but don't want to do that now as most labels don't give any nutritional info on them.

TIA,

Lori

fiona
Thu, Aug-23-01, 14:28
Well the basic curry paste would include a fair amount of tomatoes so I have adapted it to use the spices but in smaller quantities and omit the tomatoes altogether or add just one from time to time.

Okay the basic curry paste would go something like this:

In a little hot oil add 1 small (carb-restriction) onion (finely diced); 2-3 cloves of garlic; a fair sized piece of ginger; 1-2 fresh green chilli. Let that soften and brown a little before adding turmeric (haldi); Red Chilli powder; Garam Masala; Jeera and tomato (optional).

Let these cook stirring constantly until you see the oil is separating from the spice mixture. This is the important step. If the spices are not blended until they are ready then the taste is never quite right.

That is the time to add chicken or whatever else you want to curry.

How much haldi etc you add is a matter of taste. I tend to put about ½ teaspoon of haldi (least) and slightly more of the others. Of course this does depend on how much chicken there is. With vegetable dishes I'd use less garam masala and more jeera and even add whole jeera seeds to the onion.

Hope this helps. I'm afraid I am a very easy-going throw it all in type of cook which isn't always helpful to someone who is learning. ;)

Have fun. Take care

herodl
Fri, Aug-24-01, 08:17
Tks for all the info Fiona, I see I'm going to have to shop for some spices. One thing about LC eating, you actually have to cook. So much for convenience foods. Oh well, at least now when I claim to have cooked something, it will be true LOL.

I found a spicy marinade on another site last night I thought I'd share. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to today as I have all the ingredients. I'll post a note once I try it as to how good (or not) it is. I'm also going to try making a rice recipe using the cauliflower idea I found in another thread at this site. Anyway, the recipe is as follows:

- 1/2 cup sugar free peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar Twin or Splenda
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Durkee Red Hot Sauce

Just realized I don't have the carb/fibre/etc count, but just "guesstimating" it doesn't look too high based on the ingredients. I'm planning on picking up a good carb count book soon and will try and figure it out (or find the site I got it off) and list it when I do.

Lori

fiona
Sat, Aug-25-01, 00:42
Hi herodl

That actually is a pretty good marinade. Only thing I would be wary about is the curry powder.

If you really read the ingredients of the curry powder they are everything I used in my basic recipe. Commercial curry powders are just that: commercial. They economise to a certain degree and cater for the majority taste. On the one hand it is great 'cos it takes the decision out of how much of what to put in. On the other hand it can be much more fun experimenting with different amounts of spices for different meals. Creating different tastes.

{LC eating, you actually have to cook} Right mate. Only way to know exactly what is going in my food. But pretty soon I started enjoying the cooking and planning as much if not more than the eating!

Another tip with Indian Spices: Keep them in tightly closed glass bottles and they will keep very well indefinitely. Once you've got your basic stock u r set for 6-10 months.

Final Tip: Indian spices are NOT carb-free. They do mount up. I allow 5g for the small amounts I use in practically everything. Possibly over-allowing but not sure.

Take care - Have fun

herodl
Tue, Aug-28-01, 04:39
Hi Fiona - Tks again for the recipe and advice. I will be sure and post once I try it out. I haven't managed to try any new recipes out as I had planned. Have been out and about this past week, but God and my stove willing I shall do so in the next few days and post as to my success (or lack thereof).

Cheers,

Lori