PDA

View Full Version : Danish Cream

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Natrushka
Mon, Aug-13-01, 12:20
HELP! I've searched high and low and I cant seem to find any nutritional information on "Danish Cream" sometimes called Danish Heavy Cream or Danish Thick Cream. I've tried the list under 'tools' and I've done a few searches online with my favourite engines, but no luck. :(

Thanks for any help
Nat

IslandGirl
Fri, Aug-24-01, 01:44
Hey, Nat. I'm a complete foodie and I've never heard of that being specific to Danes... can you put it in context? How do you know it's Danish, do you have some in a container and, if so, where do you get it? What's on label (ingredienten, for instance?)

If it's a commercial dairy product (not something you have to make yourself), there must be ingredients listed on the side by law. That would help a lot. Also, dairy has the BF or MF listed (ButterFat or MilkFat percentage by volume) even if it's in a can.

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-24-01, 06:28
Its from Holland. However, Bonnie posted some information about Carnation Thick Cream. It's the same thing. Here's the thread. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16247

thanks for the reply though

:)
Nat

IslandGirl
Fri, Aug-24-01, 10:59
... cuz I'm from Holland, too :D

Can you post the ingredient list and the BF % anyway, Nat? I'd like to find some of this stuff. Where did you buy it?

There's the traditional Devon or Double Cream (from England) which is probably the same thing and runs 36 to 45+ % BF. Note that whipping cream in Canada is 36% and Heavy Cream is higher, if you can find it. Carnation Thick Cream is the North American version of the same darn thing. ALL will be low in carbs if there are no peculiar additives, just cream.

Anyway, if you post the details, I and others can add it to our nutritional information collection, you'd be sharing...

Ta for now!

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-24-01, 12:12
Sorry, but they aren't listed on the can (there's a great dip recipe there though). Bonnie said 5g carbs per can (approx 3/4 cup per can)
"Each can contains about 5 grams of carbs and contains only sterilized cream and sodium citrate. It's a product of Holland; distributed chiefly in Canada and can be found there in nearly all groceries. "

I picked it up at Loblaws (near the coffee/tea with all the other condensed and evaporated milk). Its thick and gelatinous when you spoon it out (like a fruit mold), but it *smooches* nicely and mixes with berries well.

Does this help?

Nat

IslandGirl
Sat, Aug-25-01, 00:45
... that helps (though I wonder how Bonnie knew the nutrient info) ...

I'll have to go off to the grocery and pick up a can, have a boo. I'm allowed to have some "fun" day after tomorrow, on the Study :eek:

Thanks, Nat!

Natrushka
Sat, Aug-25-01, 08:10
Its delicious, Judy. And i suspect she got the info off the carnation site. I perused it briefly last week, but didnt spot the cream. Going to buy a few cans of it myself this weekend.

Enjoy

Nat