PDA

View Full Version : curd cheese

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jessy
Tue, Aug-07-01, 10:25
I even don't know if you eat such a thing like curd cheese made from cow milk. But if you do than maybe I could get some info: I know it's a dairy product, but I didn't found the number of carbs (only protein & fat) on the package so maybe atkins allow this?

Stina
Tue, Aug-07-01, 14:09
Is curd cheese the same as cottage cheese? If so this is what is on my container of 4% cottage cheese:

1/2 cup=

119 calories
15 grams protein
5.2 grams fat
3 grams carbs

You could also check fitday.com to see if they list it there.

Sharon
Tue, Aug-07-01, 15:13
My son works in the Diary Dept. at a local grocery store. We weren't able to find you a breakdown of carbs, but my guess would be it would be the same as Cheddar Cheese.

"Cheese curds are fresh, young cheddar cheese in the natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged. (Cheddar cheese is typically aged from 60 days to 4 years before being sold.) Unlike the aged variety, curds lose their desirable qualities if refrigerated or not eaten for a few days (the squeak disappears and they turn dry and salty)."

Jessy
Tue, Aug-07-01, 15:18
The cheese I was talking about is made from cow milk, is white colour and is usually eaten with jam, honey. Probably there isn't such cheese in Canada or US, because it's an old tradition in my or neibour countries.

r.mines
Tue, Aug-07-01, 21:49
I think what you call curd cheese, Jessy, is called cottage cheese here. One of the things I remember my dad eating was cottage cheese on toast, with jam on top. Maybe it's a Lithuanian specialty! Cottage cheese is white and looks like little wet lumps. It tastes very bland. If that's what you mean, you can use Stina's carb count given above.

Rachel

Jessy
Thu, Aug-09-01, 15:04
r.mines, I think you know what's curd cheese. The way your dad ate this cheese is popular here! I't tastes great when used with jam. I'm so happy that I can eat it- it doesn't have many carbs! :D