PDA

View Full Version : substitute for chick pea flour in Indian recipes?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Liz
Fri, Jul-27-01, 14:20
I've been rummaging through Indian recipes and some deep fried items are bound with chick pea flour (besan flour). Does anyone have an opinion on whether soy flour or almond flour would be a good substitute? i.e. would it act in the same way for deep frying?

Karen
Fri, Jul-27-01, 17:27
Is it for a batter or a binder?

Karen

fiona
Fri, Jul-27-01, 18:41
Good question Liz. I did wonder about that.

Binder Karen.

Pakoras/onion bajis is what comes to my mind. The besan is used to bind together onions/potatoes and other stuff. I expect the potatoes could be substituted with aubergine.

Take care.

r.mines
Fri, Jul-27-01, 19:14
Fiona, I've used soy flour in a pakora-like thing: soy flour, water, spices, chopped up veggies, all glomped together and fried in oil. They come out more like a pancake, since I don't like deep-frying (I like the TASTE, just not the MESS), but they taste pretty good, and don't fall apart or anything.

Rachel

Karen
Fri, Jul-27-01, 20:35
I would try a combination of ground pork rinds and soy flour to keep the carb count even lower. Or for pakora-ish type things, a combo of dried, shredded coconut, (6.92 g carbs and 4.62 g fiber per ounce) soy flour and pork rinds.

Karen

Liz
Fri, Jul-27-01, 23:55
I'll experiment and see how things turn out. I haven't gone to the Sunshine market yet for pork rinds (and will pick up packets for you Rachel), but may do that tomorrow after I've dropped my carless, busless mother off downtown. Bajis are a fav snack.

fiona
Sat, Jul-28-01, 03:01
;)

Thanks everyone, especially Rachel. Love the idea of East-West comibination in the form of Pakora-Pancake. :D

I am like you. Love the taste but not the mess and this is a neat way of still enjoying same.

Time to go experiment.
Take care.

fiona
Sat, Jul-28-01, 07:55
:) Well the spinach was drying out and dying pretty rapidly in this heatwave we've got here. And I had an aubergine in my fridge. So I tried Rachel's suggestion. I thought I'd make a little extra and just heat it for a minute in the micro for lunch. They turned out so deliciious I ended up eating the lunch for breakfast ! Well it was nearly 11.30am so it could be considered a combination of breakfast and lunch.

Protein Whey (optional)
Soya flour (1-3 Tbsp)
Wheat Germ (1Tbsp)
H&S: Chilli/Garam Masala/Turmeric/garlic/salt/cilantro
˝ tsp baking powder

Lcarb Vegetables eg ˝Aubergine, spinnach, 2 spring onions - chives

1 egg (optional – good binding agent if U want to reduce on soya flour)

Mix H&S, flour, baking powder (sift together if you want – I just used a fork). Add the vegetable(s) chopped quite small. Fairly thick batter. Do not add more water to mix unless absolutely necessary.

Heat a little oil (2-4tbsp). Pat the mixture into flat round shapes and shallow fry. The vegetables release a fair amount of water as they cook so do it on a low heat and do not be in a hurry to turn over.

Absolutely delicious . And you can get a good variety using different L/Carb vegetables.