PDA

View Full Version : can you sub choc whey protein for unsweetened baker's chocolate

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

saltnpeppa
Fri, Aug-29-03, 20:17
has anyone tried this? I'm thinking the chocolate whey protein powder has a lot less carbs, plus if it's more versatile, then it's better for the budget, which is already strained.
THanks

wabi_sabi
Fri, Aug-29-03, 23:41
The thing I have noticed about cooking with Whey Protein, is that it makes the recipe VERY dry. So, if ever I use it, I'm sure to add extra fat to the mixture. This works well with muffins, etc.

I'd say it depends on what you're using it for.

Good luck!

Karen
Sat, Aug-30-03, 01:24
The two are not interchangeable. You would need a lot of whey powder to replace the depth and flavour of chocolate in certain recipes. What you can do to replace chocolate is use 3 Tbsp. of cocoa and 1 Tbsp. butter per ounce of chocolate. This works in items like brownies or muffins where there are other "grainy" ingredients but would not work well in something where you need a smooth texture like truffles or a chocolate mousse.

Karen

saltnpeppa
Mon, Sep-01-03, 20:27
thanks. I'll make a note of your idea.