PDA

View Full Version : "Birthday Cake" suggestions for my son

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tatertot
Mon, Jul-23-01, 16:34
My son's birthday is this week (he is turning 11). He, my hubby and I all started Atkin's 16 days ago and are doing wonderfully. However I need a little help....I'm trying to find a birthday cake/pie/something similar recipe that has 5g or less per serving, and doesn't have impossible to find ingredients! (I drove to 4 stores today looking for almond flour! UGH!) I don't have time to order anything online for his birthday. If you know of something an 11 yr. old boy would like, please post your recipe or link to it here.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! :)

Karen
Mon, Jul-23-01, 16:45
I made a cheesecake for the Vancouver get-together that I think we all thought was pretty durned good. Would cheesecake fit the bill? There is also the old LC classic "Broken Glass Dessert" made with SF Jell-o and whipping cream.

Karen

Sharon
Mon, Jul-23-01, 19:54
I vote for Karen's suggestions. If he likes cheese cake that would be great. I know you're watching the carb count...but you could even make some "real ziploc ice cream". Even a spoonful would be nice along with the cake, especially during the summer.(I think the recipe for that one is posted somewhere here) If not and you want it, just let me know, it's one I have handy!!

sharmca
Mon, Jul-23-01, 21:26
All my son ever wanted for his birthday was cheesecake. He's in 7th heaven since we started low carbing. There's some great recipes out there and every thing is readily available. We prefer the crustless ones and they usually come in around 5 carbs per slice. Our favourite is the one in Fran McCullough's Low Carb Cookbook 4g/slice

Karen
Mon, Jul-23-01, 22:47
No-Bake Vancouver Cheesecake
Makes 1 10-inch or 16 pieces

I like really light cheesecakes and was very pleased with the way this turned out. The nutty crust was compared to the middle of Almond Rocca. Browning the almonds well and cooking the butter until browned really adds an extra dimension of taste.

You can halve the recipe and make it in an 8-inch pan or make individual cheesecakes with paper muffin cups in a muffin tin.

1 1/4 cup well toasted whole almonds
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. brown Sugar Twin
large pinch of cinnamon

5 tsp. gelatin
2 cups whipping cream
3 eggs, separated
2 lbs. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup Splenda
1/4 cup pourable white Sugar Twin
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Chop or pulse the almonds in a food processor so half of them are finely chopped and half of them remain coarse.

In a heavy pot melt the butter over medium heat until it turns a rich, nutty smelling brown. Add the almonds, Sugar Twin and cinnamon. Stir well and press into the bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan. Refrigerate.

Place 1 cup of the whipping cream in a heatproof bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the whipping cream and let stand until softened. Beat in the egg yolks. Over a pot of simmering water beat the mixture with a whisk until it thickens and increases slightly in volume. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the Splenda, Sugar Twin and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Beat in the gelatin mixture.

Beat the remaining cream to stiff peaks and fold into the cream cheese mixture. Beat the egg whites to medium peaks and fold into the cream cheese mixture.

Pour into the prepared crust and chill overnight.

To cut a cheesecake neatly, Dip your knife into very hot water and wipe the water off before making each cut. Lining the bottom of the pan with parchment paper will help the crust lift off the pan cleanly.

Total Carbohydrates: 87.39
Total Carbohydrates Minus Fiber: 73.87
Carbohydrates per Serving: 5.46
Carbohydrates per Serving minus Fiber: 4.61

r.mines
Mon, Jul-23-01, 23:48
Karen, I'm your biggest cheesecake fan!

I made a bit of chocolate sauce for the leftovers: melted some butter, added unsweetened cocoa, a bit of Splenda, a drop of maple extract, and some cream. It really brought out the Almond Roca taste of the crust! I'll bet an 11-year-old would like it too!

Rachel

Karen
Tue, Jul-24-01, 00:20
I guess I'll be making Almond Roca for Christmas for all my LC pals!

Karen

r.mines
Tue, Jul-24-01, 08:25
Yes, please!

Rachel
who needs a 'drooling' icon