PDA

View Full Version : recipes for chilli

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lburnikell
Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:49
has anybody got a recipe for a nice spicy chiili I fancy a bowl with some lovely sour cream YUMMY!!

UrbanGypsy
Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:44
In this heat???!!! Rather you that me! ;)

This is the basic chilli recipe I use. Works just as well for vegetarians too. I'm assuming you'll alter the amount of vegetables according to your own limits...

Fry off some garlic and onion in oil, butter, or a mixture of both till the onion goes clear.

Depending on your carb intake and general preference, you can also add things like chopped up string beans, mushroom, aubergine, celery and courgette to the pan at this stage.

Add the mince, along with fresh chopped chilli and/or chilli powder to taste.

Again according to your own taste add salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you happen to fancy at that particular moment in time (hey, I never claimed to be a consistent cook!) and fry the mince till cooked.

Add tomatoes, tomato puree and optionally balsamic vinegar. At this point I used to add a pinch of sugar, so if you use any of the sugar substitutes (I don't/can't), now's the time to add them!

I'm not sure of their carb content, but tobasco sauce and worstershire sauce are also nice to add. Stir through till thoroughly heated and...

Voila!

Enjoy :)

lburnikell
Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:14
sounds great will try it!!

LisaUK
Wed, Aug-06-03, 12:53
My friend Mona in the States gave me this recipe:

MAMA'S CHILLI SEASONING MIX

This is so good

1 cup chilli powder (ground red chillies not the one with other stuff added)
8 tbsp. Cumin powder
8 tbsp. Instant minced onion or onion granules
4 tbsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Salt
8 tsp. Dried coriander leaves
4 tsp. Garlic powder
2 tsp. Ground red pepper (not sure about this maybe use white pepper)
2 tsp.thyme, crushed
1 tsp. Ground cinnamon

Mix together, I use the food processor to mix it up and then store in a sealed jar.

Stir fry minced beef, add in chopped onions/peppers/mushrooms if you wish, sprinkle in about 1 tbs seasoning (you can add more at the end if it isn't hot enough), then add 1 can chopped tomatoes per 1lb beef. Simmer until done!

If you add more mix, remember to simmer for at least 10 minutes to cook the spices out.

lburnikell
Wed, Aug-06-03, 13:43
god my mouth is really droolin now ive taken my miced beef out of the freezer and I am gonna make a big batch tomorow

LisaUK
Wed, Aug-06-03, 16:17
That mix keeps really well by the way. :D