PDA

View Full Version : Pork Rind Breading

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DonnaVT
Sun, Jul-08-01, 22:35
A freind of mine at work sho has lost over 80lbs eating low carb uses crushed pork rinds to bread her pork chops and chicken. She dips the pork chops in egg and then coats them with the crushed rinds then bakes. I still have to try it but it sounds like a great idea - thought I'd pass it along!
Donna

aaf
Sun, Aug-12-01, 17:54
hello , I will like to know

Stina
Sun, Aug-12-01, 20:09
Yes, this is a wonderful way to have crispy chicken/turkey. We make this all the time. I prefer to crush almonds and pork rinds and use the combo to *bread* the chicken. I also dip into mayo first as it seems to seal in the juices even more!

Try it.....WAYYY better than KFC!

cathyeu
Thu, Aug-16-01, 06:36
We use pork rind breading all the time. It makes the best chicken cordon bleu. Just take chicken breast, slice it in half but not all the way through. Pound it thin and then put in a slice of ham and a slice of swiss cheese. Seal it back together, dip in egg and roll in ground up rinds. Fry as usual. It is to die for. Also, I have used pork rinds in meatloaf in exchange for crackers and it works great there too. My family doesn't particularly care for pork rinds as a treat, but the reason I like them is when used in cooking they take on whatever flavor is in the meal you are fixing. No pork rind taste.

Sharon
Thu, Aug-16-01, 14:49
Well said Cathy, great ideas.

numberonewendy
Sun, Aug-26-01, 21:12
I like them is when used in cooking they take on whatever flavor is in the meal you are fixing. No pork rind taste.

I know, isn't that something....when NJ told me about her french toast with pork rinds I near choked at the thought of it.

I made them and wow...what a great taste. Told the family what I did...and their reaction was just like mine...yuck...french toast with pork rinds? When they tasted the french toast....they loved it....amazing...truly amazing :p

Glenda
Tue, Sep-11-01, 20:14
I love the pork rinds too. Stina-In Nanaimo-I livei n Victoria, and the only brand I have found so far is Old Dutch, and all that is listed on the ingredients is pork rinds, lard and salt. There is no nutritional data at all. I e-mailed Old Dutch, but of course, they have not gotten back. Can you get different brands up there??

Glenda

Simone2S
Sun, Sep-16-01, 10:28
Wendy

What is the recipe for french toast made with pork rinds. I would love to try this.

Thank you.

numberonewendy
Sun, Sep-16-01, 13:13
Hi Simone,

Its in the recipe section. They are really nice...enjoy :daze:

Simone2S
Mon, Sep-17-01, 15:53
Thanks a bunch :wave:

lukelori
Mon, Sep-24-01, 04:07
I am not a big fan of pork rinds but they do make a great no carb snack food. I love the idea to use as breading for chicken and porkchops. I am gonna try this recipe plus the chicken cordon bleu. Thanks for the great info.

wangeci
Wed, Sep-26-01, 09:50
I crushed pork rinds last night and then added about 1/4 cup of parmasan cheese and some garlic powder, lightly salt and peppered also. I dipped my chicken breast in egg then in the breading. The taste and consistantcy was fabulous. Although, I have to say the smell while cooking is not so hot. I will use this many more times, as it is absolutely great.
Thanks..
Cindy :roll:

DonnaVT
Thu, Sep-27-01, 00:44
Took me awhile to get around to it but I tried hot & spicy pork rinds as breading for my thin sliced pork chops - YUMMMM. It was soo good and not as spicy as they are right out of the bag. I'll have to try the regular ones with the garlic and onion - That sounds good. Tried to coat it in Atkin's Baking Mix too with onion, garlic, basil and salt - that wasn't nearly as good as the rinds!

Donna

French Toast? Will have to try that one next!

Lessara
Wed, Oct-03-01, 10:43
I hope you guys don't laugh too loud but...

I miss caseroles so what I have been doing is, for example:

Chicken Pot Pie -

I chop up some chicken add mushrooms, alittle onion, alittle green peppers (usually of different colors), and sometimes some green beans. I add a mixture of cream cheese and chicken broth and pour it over then I sprinkle pork rinds (crushed up) on top and it tastes like pot pie! At least to me :p

beffie
Mon, Oct-22-01, 18:42
You are sent from heaven!!!
Im a new comer and i was wondering how Iwas gonna fry chicken with out useing flour.Im very happy to know there is such a reciepe.Thank you very much. If you have any other one's, can you pass them on? :wave: :wave:

Ka3n
Mon, Oct-22-01, 21:24
Beffie,
Did you check on "low carb recipies" on the top orange/red bar at the top of the page?
:wave:

nancy30
Sat, Oct-12-02, 10:23
MMMMmmm love all these ideas! Makes me hungry just reading about them, thanks so much for sharing these I can't wait to try some of them....Thanks again!! :daze: :daze: :daze:

karich
Sat, Jan-11-03, 12:27
I want to take some crushed pork rinds
on vacation with me in a few weeks.
If I crush them before I go, will they last?
Do they go off? I usually just crush them before using...

TIA,
Kara

George F
Sat, Mar-08-03, 23:21
For the Canadians who like pork rinds (I love them), I had been buying Old Dutch brand, but it was very pricey - $3 for an 80g bag. Real Canadian Superstore also sells them, in various flavours - plain, "hot and spicy", and "barbecue" - 80g bags, 2 for $3. (0.8g Carbs/30g, =~2.1g Carbs/80 g bag)
Currently, I just have a bag every now and again for a snack with a movie. I would rather give up 'breaded' foods (fried chicken, pork chops, country fried steak) than pay $3/bag for breading material. Having found the no-name brand, I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipies I've found in here.

Regards to all,
George F

hilariamc
Mon, Jun-16-03, 17:21
Hello everyone,
I found a really terrific source for porkrinds at www.microwaveporkrinds.com. They are extremely fresh because you make them yourself as you need them by nuking them in your microwave on the PopCorn setting.
You'll not belive how light they are, and crispy.
I put them into a brown kraft sandwich bag, then fold the opening a few times, insert into microwave, set to popcorn, push on, and voila---------------a delicious treat.

gowe
Thu, Jul-03-03, 12:46
July 3, 2003

I tried the pork rind breading last evening, it was so good. I was amazed at how tender my pork chops turned out, the breading gave them a nice brown color. I can't wait to fry my chicken wings tonight. :)

Thanks for the tip!

kmarie1351
Thu, Jul-03-03, 12:49
I just somehow can't bring myself to eat pork rinds. Blech.