PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Summer drink ideas

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Robin
Sun, Jul-08-01, 18:50
Hello everybody...

Our friends finally called to ask for some help! They are going to try a combo low calorie/low carb type of diet of their own making. Eventually, I hope they go for low carb totally. They are a meat and potatoes couple and the hubby doesn't like a lot of veggies. She said they lose weight when we come to town and they have to try something!

I need some ideas for drinks for her. She would like something in addition to water. They are heavy drinkers of Pepsi but can't go to Diet Pepsi as she gets migraine headaches from aspartame, so the soda drinks are out as are the "Clear" drinks from Safeway.

Has anyone tried the Light Cranberry Cocktail drink from Safeway? It's only 17 calories and 4 g of carb per cup. We use 1/2 cup and add "Clear" to it. Too strong on it's own and it has no aspartame in it.

Any ideas? I did suggest Koolaid made with Splenda........:D (I'm such a help!)

Bonnie
Mon, Jul-09-01, 04:55
Robin,

Check out the Category Low Carb Products under the thread heading "Also About Sodas" on page two...there are two suggestions there...With the clone Snapple Lemon Iced Tea Recipe I posted you can use your imagination to vary the recipe...one suggestion was to add 5 tsp. of Welsh's frozen peach concentrate; for a strawberry-kiwi flavor add a bit of Crystal lite and some pured fresh strawberries.. possibilities are endless...;)

:) Bonnie

Bonnie
Mon, Jul-09-01, 05:05
2 cups cold club soda
1/2 cup splenda
1/4 tsp plus 1/8 teaspoon Cherry flavoured unsweetened
Kool-Aid Mix
1/2 teaspoon cherry extract
2 1/2 cups crushed ice

Pour 1 cup of club soda into a blender. Add the sugar, Kool-Aid mix and cherry extract....Blend this until all of the Splenda is dissolved...Add the crushed ice and blend on high speed until the drink is a slushy, smooth consistency, with no remaining chunks of ice..Add the remaining club soda and blend briefly until mixed...You may have to stop the blender and use long spoon to stir up the contents...If necessary, put the blender into your freezer for 1/2 hour...this will help thicken the mixture up....after 1/2 hour remove blender from freezer and again blend briefly to mix....Makes 32 oz.

:) Bonnie

Karen
Mon, Jul-09-01, 08:58
Hi Robin,

I have no experitse in the beverage department, but I do have a bit in the LC area.

LC'ers lead by example. When friends see our results, they want to be let in on the secret!

Please encourage your friends to read Protein Power or Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. This WOE is not something you can just make up. It is really important to understand how it works. You are either low carb or not low carb. Your friends may also feel so restricted and bored that they will be quite ready to give it up.

Low carb/low cal can be brutal. You need a certain amount of calories a day, 10-12 times your current body weight for weight loss, especially in the initial stages of this WOE. Low cal will not make a low carb diet work any better. It is sometimes important to watch calories, but that is further down the LC road.

A lifetime of boneless, skinless chicken breasts with salad that has no oil on it is not my idea of a good time. That is starvation in both mind and body.

Now, a whole roasted chicken with creamy, cheesy cauliflower, broccoli with butter and lemon and a big salad with a few tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers is a real good time. Satisfaction guaranteed!

BTW, it took 2 years for me banish Coca-cola from my life. It can be done!

Karen

Robin
Wed, Jul-11-01, 07:16
Thank you for your response Bonnie. Gonna try that out just for us too, although I will send the recipe to our friends.

Thank you too Karen for your words of wisdom. I am hoping that our friends eventually go low carb period, because the combination just doesn't work! At least it's a start. They really enjoy their Pepsi and the diet Pepsi just isn't an option be cause of the aspartame.

I have emailed them a sample menu list for low carb. Problem is, the hubby has problems with some veggies, (good thing it's corn) and really enjoys his meat and potatoes. He doesn't want to give up his Revel a day either. So far, haven't found a substitue for that.

That's the thing with this diet. Our veggie repetoire has expanded considerably. There is so much more to life than potatoes! Some of the stuff we love, he won't even touch. I forgot to mention he hates mushrooms. Can't remember if he is allergic or just dislikes the taste. We did portabello mushrooms with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. He didn't mind the stir fried asparagus with ginger and garlic! Wait till he tries jicama french fries. Just a taste!

I am going to try to find all the best salad, veggie things I can and run them by his wife. She should be able to modify them for their tastes.

One word of advice to her was at the same time she makes his lunch, also make her own. She works in the home, so when she is hungry, she just grabs cheesies or something. This way, she should be able to enjoy a healthy lunch as well.

Don't worry, I will keep trying to steer them towards the low carb way and ditch the low cal. Already got her trained to check out the bottled salad dressings!

The important thing is that they have both decided to do something. I consider this the first step! Hopefully we will have two more low carb converts! PS. Told her to check out Your recipe section Karen!

Karen
Wed, Jul-11-01, 08:48
You're a good friend Robin! As you said, even making a few adjustments is a step in the right direction.

Who knows? In a year from now they may be slim, trim and eating lots of vegetables!

Karen