PDA

View Full Version : Measuring sweeteners, granular type vs. paper packets

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Wed, May-09-01, 09:52
Hi folks,

This is a duplicate post from another thread; I just thought the info. might be useful to a lot of folks, and might get "lost" under the other topic header .. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The standard sweetness for the little individual paper packets of sweetener is -- one packet equals the sweetness of 2 tsp of sugar. This is true for all, beause I've checked .. .. so Equal, Splenda, SugarTwin, NoName ... doesn't matter what is the actual measure of powder within the packet. Just remember, the whole packet gives equivalent sweetness to 2 tsp.

For the granular sweeteners which come bulk in a box or jar, these have been fluffed up with fillers (usually maltodextrin) to measure exactly spoon-for-spoon as sugar.

Note also, for Splenda, the carb count is the same whether you use the bulk granular stuff, or the little packets. For example ...

If your recipe calls for sweetener to equal 1 cup of sugar, you would use 1 cup of the bulk granular Splenda. According to the box, one tsp (5 ml) of the bulk product has 0.5 carbs. There are 48 tsp per cup (yes, I double-checked this) so 48 x 0.5 = 24 carbs for the 1 cup measure.

With the little paper packets, each packet = 2 tsp of sweetness. So, to get equivalent to 1 cup, you would use 24 packets (24 x 2 tsp = 48) Right? According to the box, each packet has 1 carb gram. Therefore, 24 packets = 24 carbs.

Don't worry about the actual tsp. measure of the little packets. They are much more concentrated, so only a tiny amount of powder to give the same sweet taste. Just count the # of packets, and you'll be fine.

To calculate the reverse, ie, your recipe calls for 6 packets of Splenda, and you have the bulk granular stuff ----- remember that 6 packets = 12 tsp. sweetness. So, you'd use 12 tsp (or 4 Tbsp) of the granular.

hope this helps

Doreen