Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which is more desirable?
Cardio before Weights 191 44.42%
Cardio After Weights 143 33.26%
Cardio Alone 54 12.56%
No cardio just Weights 42 9.77%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:31

Plan: Atkins, protein power
Stats: 210/201.2/140 Female 54
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think you should alternate Cardio one day weights the next.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 02:25

Plan: adkins
Stats: 190/165/125 Female 66inches
BF:around 30%
Progress:

I also enjoy the firm tapes,I use about 8 of them,also throw in some pilates.and a few walking tapes.If I over do ,my blood sugars go up,so I keep it to 70-90 minutes a day.I think doing something different each day fools your body and makes it work harder
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 10:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/183/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I also agree w/ some of you. If I don't do my cardio first I will do less time on the eliptical machine. I do cardio everyday but I switch off doing weights one day then the next day doing floor exercises like crunches....etc.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 06:37
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 167/140/135
BF:30%/20%/15%
Progress: 84%

Rachelstra said (way back in June -- sorry for the delay)
"I have just read the slow burn book and was curious as to why you are working out 45 mins 2 times a week. I was just under the impression that you only needed to exercise every 5 days after a good 30 min workout. What are you and your wife doing during those 2 sessions a week."

As I recall from the book and from comments on the message board belonging to Fred Hahn (http://pub83.ezboard.com/fseriousstrengthfrm1), one can improve one's condition working out once a week, but the optimum is twice a week. The book says 30 minutes, but we found that not to be realistic. We don't take breaks between exercises, but moving from one to the other takes a little time. In addition, the time we use can't be set for partial minutes, so we do each exercise for 2 minutes instead of 100 seconds. If you're in a gym and have a trainer changing settings on the machine for you and have the right timer, 30 minutes might be enough.

We do the set of exercises the book shows for home workouts, with a few minor variations. For instance, my wife does the bent-over rows (I don't think that's the name Slow Burn uses, but the same exercise), and I do lat pull-downs while she does one side and wrist curls while she does the second side. I've started doing dips while she does push-ups. I do calf raises one leg at a time, and my wife does both, but while I do my second leg, she does wrist curls. At the end, we've both added reverse wrist curls.

Are you still using Slow Burn? Results?

Ron
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 13:45

Plan: general low carbs
Stats: 230/175/180 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 110%

Ok listen up people! If you want to build muscle, do cardio after weight training. If you weight training after cardio, you must wait about 20 min, then weight train. What happens is that if you do cardio first, your heart rate is still up when you weight train, therefore it would be like cardio with resistance, thus your muscles won't get the full benefit from weight training. Your body burns more fat when you weight train, than cardio. Why? Cuz muscle is what burns fat!!!! So when you do weight training, your body is fat burning mode, it will then carry over when you do cardio!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 13:55

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

With the exception of AM fasted-state cardio, the answer is cardio after weights.

Besides the heart rate benefit mentioned above, there is a reason why your would burn more fat if you did cardio after weights ... Studies have shown that test subjects who did weights THEN cardio had a higher respitory exchange ratio than the test subjects who did cardio then weights ... It is a small difference, but it does show that your body is working harder and burning more fat with weights first followed by cardio.

Just wanted to toss in my 2 or 3 cents. :-)
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 11:42

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

It used to be I would do cardio before weights, but for the past 3 months, I've changed the order -- weights before cardio. The reason is that my cardio is intense, and I need to conserve some energy for it. If I do the cardio first, I find myself feeling too pooped to put much of an effort into weights
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 12:42

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Serre,

Also, a trainer at my gym and on some posts I read here believes doing weights before cardio would be optimal. Their reasoning is that weights will deplete our glycogen stored first, then cardio after would burn almost entirely fat.

That makes sense to me. So, for the last several months, I've done weights first, then cardio. Like you, weight training is pretty tough after an intense cardio session.

Take care,

Fred
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 16:30

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Hi Fred,
A recent trainer also told me I should do weights before cardio. And frankly, that's perfectly fine with me. I get easily bored with weights, so I need to get that out of the way first before I can enjoy my cardio session LOL.

It makes sense to do weights first since the primary reason for the cardio is to burn fat, and if the glycogen supply has been depleted with the weight session, then the body has no choice but to turn to its fat reserve for energy when you do the cardio.

Last edited by serrelind : Tue, Dec-16-03 at 16:40.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/195/180 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Well from what I've seen over past experience is that weights are great if you are looking for major definition, yet they can do a great mental disservice if you are looking to see the scale drop. A few months ago I got majorly into weightlifting and didn't see the scale move for over a week. I finally figured out that this was because I was building more muscle than I could have imagined so I decided to go to an every other day routine. As soon as I stopped lifting every day I started seeing the 3-5 lb. loss per week that I was used to and I have to say that this made me very happy. It really comes down to what you are looking for. If you are like me and HAVE to see that scale move then lift lightly and not more than 3 times a week. If you are looking to lose fat but gain muscle (at the expense of the scale numbers making a move in the "right" direction) then by all means concentrate on the weights and make the cardio secondary. As for now I am focusing more on cardio and less on weights. I am mainly focusing on hams, biceps, triceps, pectorals and shoulders. I figure that once I hit my goal weight then I will start doing a more total body workout without consideration to my scale weight. It's basically a mental game. If you can handle the game then fine. If you're like me though......make that scale move and then later worry about the "look".
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 19:41

Plan: Atkins ?
Stats: 216/170/158 Male 72 inches
BF:24.1/12.7/9
Progress: 79%

I am an advocate of both but not during the same workout.
I lift weights either twice a week (during marathon training mode) or 3 times a week (non-training). I follow the BFL weight lifting method. However my only "cardio" on these days is stretching and a 5 minute walk on the treadmill.
My cardio workouts are either 5 days a week marathon mode or 4 days a week non-marathon mode.
I never mix the two on the same day.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:14

Plan: CAD and Atkins
Stats: 165/125/? Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 117%

After years of being a Firm fan (since 1986) and doing traditional style weight training and all kinds of cardio, I have just discovered the Slow Burn/Power of 10. I'm into my 3rd week and I am hooked. I workout 2 days a week and workouts are usually 40 minutes each. I hope with more practice I will be able to reduce my time. I'm still in the learning curve. This method is so intense I feel like I workout 6 days a week. I just love it and thank God 48 Hours did that piece on it or I would never have known. Ironically, the same thing happened to me with the low-carb diet 5 years ago. Saw a piece about it on 48 hours, tried it and have been hooked ever since.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 05:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/142/130 Female 5'7
BF:22%/21%/16%
Progress:

I always do weights before cardio simply because weights will deplete gylcogen stores in the liver (stored energy) and therefore allow optimal fat burning during the cardio session

I thought everyone knew that??
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:36

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

My weight sessions tend to take an hour each, and I do hour-long cardio 4 days a week (1/2 hour on 2 other days), so I never combine them. I keep my cardio in the morning and my weights at night. Otherwise, cortisol would just be undoing my work.

If I had to do both together, weights first is definitely the way I'd go, because muscle mass is more important to me in the long run.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 08:17

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prana
I always do weights before cardio simply because weights will deplete gylcogen stores in the liver (stored energy) and therefore allow optimal fat burning during the cardio session

I thought everyone knew that??

LOL...you would think, non?

Seriously, everyone probably was privy to that very logical notion except for me, who had to actually read this board before realizing that.

Before this, I had always ran before weights; but now, I have it vice versa.