Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 01:15

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

And I don't know how I missed this, but...
Quote:
I almost hate to say this (because in some people, the name alone causes a violent hurling reaction) but the pictures remind me of the Blair Witch Project.

Heh. I think it's probably the light-leaking nature of the cheap cameras that I use that brings back memories of the low production values of Blair Witch.

I've been very into the black and white thing lately. Whenever I get the urge to play with color, I tend to want to do cross-processing. I guess I figure if you're going to have color, you might as well have completely whacked-out crazy color.

But I definitely don't flatter myself with delusions of being a photographer. I dated a photographer for a year and a half, she always made sure to tell me how much of a photographer I am not.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 13:50

BF:
Default BRx C1/W6/D1

This is actually the workout from Monday that I'm just now getting around to posting. Usually I wouldn't bother, but I want to have a full record here of the last week of Cycle 1 for comparison.

Gym stuffs: Chest & Bis
Weights
- Dumbbell Bench Press 2x20x15, 3x6x40
- Incline Press 2x20x30, 3x6x70
- Flex Flyes 2x20x40, 3x6x100
- Hammer Curls 2x20x15, 3x6x27.5
- Preacher Curls 2x20x20, 3x6x45
Cardio
- Elliptical, 10 min, Incline: 7, Resistance: 4
notes:
First workout in almost a week after dealing with the pinched nerve. I debated with myself about whethere I should continue on with what would have been the week five workouts and just tack on a week (for seven weeks in cycle one), or just keep plugging along. Ultimately, I decided to just keep going, because it's a pretty damn long program as it is, and I don't want the dreaded boredom to set in by making it longer.

I have to say that it doesn't seem like the injury or resultant time off hurt my performance at all. I actually raised the weights on the bench press and flyes this week, and I managed to complete the max reps per set in every exercise.

I also got on the scale this morning and was greeted with a new low--229. The weight is creeping ever lower, and I'm managing to let go of the carb paranoia that had managed to set in over the course of my first few months here. All "good things" in my book.

Speaking of books, I need to go dig my Body Rx book out of my backpack and start giving it a look over to gear up for Cycle 2 next week. Actually, right now I need to get back to my hair--it's apparently not going to braid itself.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 00:19

BF:
Default Brx C1/W6/D2

Gym stuffs: Back & Tris
Weights
- Lat Pulldown 2x20x50, 3x6x105
- Seated Row 2x20x60, 3x6x120
- Wide Row 2x20x70, 3x6x160
- Tricep Pushdown 2x20x30, 3x6x60
- Tricep Extension 2x20x20, 3x6x50
notes:
Managed max reps per set tonight also, even on the tricep pushdowns which saw increased weight tonight. I think I may be pushing myself extra hard as a closeout to Cycle 1.

Also saw a low post-workout weight of 230.5 on the scale at the gym--not bad for a fully-dressed, evening weight.

Now, it's off to watch Coupling at a friend's place even though I know I should be staying home and finishing my hair. *sigh*
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 21:57

BF:
Default Brx C1/W6/D3

Gym stuffs: Legs
Weights
- Leg Press 2x20x140, 3x6x350
- Leg Extension 2x20x40, 3x6x115
- Leg Curl 2x20x55, 3x6x115
- Standing Calf Raise 2x20x40, 3x6x120
- Donkey Calf Raise 2x20x60, 3x6x140
notes:
I really am just bound and determined to complete max reps on each exercise for my final week of Cycle 1. Heh.

I also hopped on the scale after the workout to find a new post workout low weight of 229.5--um, w00t! and stuff. Tomorrow is my "official" weigh-in day--I check every other Sunday--so I wouldn't be surprised if I was at around 228 this morning. I'd say I wouldn't be surprised to find myself at 228 tomorrow morning, but we're about to head out for some movie watching at a friend's place, and that's almost sure to mean some salty junk food is in my very near future...which also means that there's almost surely some water retention in my not quite as near future.

One more workout in Cycle 1...I can hardly believe it.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 19:55

BF:
Default BRx C1/W6/D4

Gym stuffs: Shoulders & Abs
Weights
- Shoulder Press 2x20x15, 3x6x35
- Lateral Raise 2x20x6, 3x6x12.5
- Rear Deltoid Flye 2x20x40, 3x6x80
- "Power" Crunch 1x10, 1x15, 1x12
- Hanging Leg Raise 1x8, 1x12, 1x10
Cardio
- Elliptical, Gluteal 1 Course, 15 min (varied resistance between 3&5)

As I wrote in my log book....Cycle One is OVAH!! w00t!

I plan on sitting down and working out a comparison between the first and last workouts tonight sometime, as well as probably taking some pictures tomorrow.

My refrigerator and cupboards are stocked and ready to commence with Cycle 2. All that's left for me is to figure out if/what exercises I want to change--I'm thinking of switching out squats for leg presses and dumbbells for a barbell on the bench presses.

For now, I must go check on the salmon.

And I think just one more w00t! for finishing out strong with cycle one.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 01:40

BF:

So, I still haven't sat down to do the comparison. I also didn't take pictures today. Today was a shitty day. I'm determined that tomorrow will be better.

I did manage to hit my protein and fiber numbers though for the beginning of Cycle 2. The fat was a tad high...sending the calories through the roof. I know it's a a little back-asswards, but I'm going to post my numbers for the day, then write a summary of Cycle 2 nutrition. (Hey, it's my log...I'll do whatever I please.)

So, the food numbers:
Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 3091
Fat: 128 1148 39%
Sat: 36 325 11%
Poly: 10 91 3%
Mono: 39 353 12%
Carbs: 214 661 22%
Fiber: 49 0 0%
Protein: 283 1132 38%
"yellow" carbs: 179
(italics added to the numbers for which I have actual requirements)

I was a little fast and loose with the fats today...mostly stemming from some unfortunate eating in the evening, as the rest of the day went really well.

And now the guidelines...
BRx Cycle 2, Nutrition
- 287.5 grams protein (based on 1.25 grams per pound of body weight--I went with 230 as the weight because it's a nice round number)
- 45 grams fiber
- 200 gram "yellow" carb limit
- unlimited "green" carbs

There's a suggested supplement for this cycle, but as I don't remember it, and I don't feel like getting the book right this moment, I'll have to come back to that.

Tomorrow...the workouts commence.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 15:48

BF:
Default BRx C2/W1/D1

These numbers are from yesterday's workouts. I put off posting them, because, well...I hate the new forum. Every interface widget that I used (and liked) has been changed, and not for the better. And no one need give me any lectures on changing technology. I was an interface designer and usability evangelist, and I feel confident in my assessment that these changes are not Good Things. Feh.

On with the show...

Gym stuffs: Chest & Bis
Weights
- Bench Press 1x20x45, 10/10/10/10x75
- Incline Press 1x20x20, 10/10/9/8x50
- Flyes (Flex) 1x20.40, 10/10/10/10x70
- Hammer Curl 1x20x15, 10/10/8/8/7x22.5
- Seated Bicep (HammerStrength) 1x20x10, 10/8/8/8/7x35
notes:
First workout of Cycle Two...and it pretty much kicked my ass into a new gear.

I wasn't sure where to start with the bench presses, as it's really been ages since I've done them. I definitely went a bit low, so the weight will be uppped there next week as well as on the flyes.

After the workout I felt almost a little down when I looked back over the numbers and saw the weights drop. It took a bit of time to remind myself that the weights are supposed to go down to accomodate the increased sets and reps. I still felt a bit like a wimp, though. I think I just got used to seeing the higher numbers. I'll adapt.

And now the guidelines...
BRx Cycle 2, Workouts
- Warm-up sets optional (I'm doing 1 set of 20)
- 4-5 working sets per exercise--4 for large muscle groups, 5 for small
- 8-10 reps per set
- 1.5 mins rest between sets
- Final set of each exercise is to failure. It's noted in the book that this may happen at as low as 3-4 reps.
- Increase weight when max reps (10) are completed in final set.

I'm switching up the following exercises (not required in the program, but I'm doing it to keep the routine from getting too stale over the next six weeks):
Chest: Barbell bench press instead of dumbbells
Biceps: Hammer Strength seated bicep instead of preacher curls
Back: Hammer Strength mid-row instead of seated rows
Triceps: Change to rope handle for the cable pushdowns
Legs: Squats instead of leg press, standing leg curl instead of lying leg curl, seated calf raises instead of standing calf raises
Shoulders: no changes
Abs: no changes

---------

And the food number from yesterday:
Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 2447
Fat: 71 635 27%
Sat: 16 148 6%
Poly: 7 60 3%
Mono: 27 243 10%
Carbs: 180 531 23%
Fiber: 47 0 0%
Protein: 293 1171 50%
"yellow" carbs: 116

I hit my protein and fiber numbers and stayed under the yellow carb limit. w00t! for me.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 22:44

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

What widgets did you like that are missing now? I really haven't noticed any major usage changes. Most of it seems to be layout. I do find it a bit annoying that the time posted is now at the top of posts...I'm fairly sure it used to be at the bottom. Oh, and the smileys are arranged differently. Oh well.

I get the feeling that you love playing around with these weight routines. *chuckle* I used to be like that...now I'm just too lazy. I even have the library copy of BodyRx here, but I'm not very motivated to look through it. I need to get back to a consistent general routine before I step everything up.

Do you expect to lose much weight doing this? Even at 2400, that's a lot of calories. I know that there is a cutting up phase coming, but still...

Last edited by zandria72 : Wed, Jul-02-03 at 22:46.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 14:56

BF:

The UI pieces that I miss most would be the easy access to the gym log that my avatar gave me on the front page and the "mark this forum read" link that appeared at the top of the page rather than the bottom where it lives now. There are a few others, but those are the two most annoying. Also, not a big fan of the increased span of the tables holding the posts, it's not a comfortable eye scanning width. In the individual forums, the links at the top that essentially tell you where you are (e.g. "Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs > Dexalicious Revolution") are so bunched up and crowded now as to make them nearly useless as a quick reference or easy navigational point. I could probably go on for quite awhile about this stuff, but I'll stop now.

As for the weight loss...to be honest, I'm not sure what I expect. I know I averaged >2000 calories through the six weeks of cycle one and managed to drop about seven pounds--which is right on average for the losses I saw during the 3.5-4 months of low carb experimenting beforehand. *shrug* It's all just one big experiment though, isn't it?

My blood pressure has been tracking back down in "normal" ranges for the past two weeks, and I just generally feel better. I don't have whacked-out mood swings, I don't have wild bloating, and I don't suffer (or make the people around me suffer) with the PMS symptoms that came with low carbing for me so I have to say that I'm fairly happy with how things are going.

I suspect one of the reasons I'm able to eat as much as I do without gaining (and even seeing some losses) is what I've been calling "the whole food factor"--you recently touched on this in your journal as well. I stay as far away from crap food as I can. No more packaged/processed "treats" and very little artificial sweetener (though, I'll cop to having about a teaspoon of Splenda every few days). I do use protein powders--I don't think I'd be able to get the protein numbers in without them--and I keep a couple of protein bars around to throw in my pack when I'm going to be out for the day and might not be able to grab food whenever I want it, but even that is a rarity.

I figure the absolute worst thing that can happen is that I gain a little. I'm confident that I'm now aware enough of the doings of my body that I would put a clamp down on it before it got out of control. So, worst case, I have to step back, reassess, and try something new. *shrug* It probably helps that I'm not looking for a diet. I'm not interested in anything that I don't feel is sustainable over the long-term, because I know it just wouldn't work for me. I would end up dissatisfied and feeling like I was depriving myself of something...putting things off until I reached some elusive "goal". I don't have time for that. I need to live my life right now, and part of that means that I have to find a way that not only will improve my health in the future, but will sustain my health for the present.

That said, food numbers for yesterday...
Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 2547
Fat: 101 908 37%
Sat: 25 223 9%
Poly: 9 79 3%
Mono: 38 338 14%
Carbs: 155 430 18%
Fiber: 48 0 0%
Protein: 276 1103 45%
"yellow" carbs: 104

Also, I finally got around to taking some pictures. We'll see if I got them small enough to attach...
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 15:07

BF:
Default Pictures

This one was taken a few weeks before I started Body Rx. I saw no change in inches between this picture and the beginning of BRx, so I didn't feel the need to take new pictures...

And this one was taken today. (The date on the filename is wrong because I forgot the date...whoops! that's the hazard of working at home...you often have no concept of date, or even time.) Oh, and excuse the crappy quality, my good camera is at a friend's studio for the weekend, so I was using the crappy webcam I have attached to this computer.

I was just being silly in the last one of the new set...I'm easily amused, by the way.

So, not huge changes, but subtle ones and I'm not displeased for the results through the first six weeks.

Last edited by dex : Sun, Aug-29-04 at 15:58. Reason: whim
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 15:30

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

Damn, you have got some CALVES, woman! And it looks as though your legs are rather developed in general. But I can't say that I notice much difference between the two sets.

When was your avatar pic taken? You look different there (aside from the blue hair, heh).

I hear ya on the livability factor. I'm trying to figure out what will work for me in that regard. I don't really have any overwhelming medical problems that I'm trying to fix though, aside from losing weight. I do think that I feel a little better when I balance macronutrients to some extent and stick to whole foods. But aside from that...if I don't lose weight, the diet fails. I need to find something new to focus on. Weight training maybe.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 00:10

BF:

The avatar pic was taken a couple of weeks after that first set of pictures above (04.28.03)--that's what my computer says at least. I think I see the small differences because I know exactly where my clothes fit differently, and where the inches lost show up on my measurements. Like I said, it's subtle, but I know it's there so I'm pretty satisfied.

As for my legs...they've always been pretty well developed. My dad has always had really muscular legs, and my mother's legs, while not really defined, are well shaped and don't really tend to store much fat so I think that's just the way it is for me. I mean, the football players and queerboys in college didn't dub me 'van Damme legs' for nothing, ya know.

-------------

gym stuffs: Back & Tris
Weights
- Lat Pulldown 1x20x40, 10/10/10/10x30
- HS Mid-Row 10/10/10/9x80
- Wide Row 1x20x50, 10/10/10/10x120
- Tricep Pushdown 1x20x30, 10/10/9/9/8x50
- Fench Press 1x20x20, 10/8/8/8/8x40
notes:
Another good workout--my triceps felt especially pumped afterwards.

Raise weights next week on pulldown and wide row.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/138/115 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 34%

" I mean, the football players and queerboys in college
didn't dub me 'van Damme legs' for nothing, ya know."

LOL, You are too funny. I've been reading your log, and you seem to be doing great. Keep up the good work.

PS: Love the pics. They are not Blair Witch project at all, they kind of give you another perspective on what's happening at that moment in time. Very "Reto". Great job. You are a photographer in you heart and soul, no matter what your ex told ya!

Have a great day!
Adios
Raquel
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 14:20
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Talking Woo, Legsalicious!

Seven pounds in six weeks is amazing, especially considering how much muscle you must be adding. I think maybe the shirt you're wearing in the photos makes it hard for us to tell or something.

I've switched plans, myself - all the fat one eats in Atkins wasn't sitting well in my stomach. I'm trying to follow the Zone, and feel way, way better. This change was key for me to crank up the cardio (though I do need to add the lifting back in a time or two per week). I think I really needed it.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/256/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Hello Dex,

Great Results! Wish I had your resolve as far as working out goes...will eventually get there.

I saw you on another post (the Tacoma Connection...ha) and found your entries absolutely riviting! Jeez, your verbosity is quite impressive!

I'm a Tacoma chick as well...who knows, maybe we'll run into one another some day...you definitely stand out in a crowd!

Dana