Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 12:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20
Progress: 62%

Congrats on your 100+ weightloss Jt, and on the PG news.

DH and I have been trying for #2 since May.
During that time I gained quite a bit of weight.

He began LC in November and is down 25 pounds and off diabetes and cholesterol meds.

I started LC in Decemeber and am down 15 pounds as of this morning.

I am hoping that the combination of no more meds for him, and better hormone regulation for me will soon straighten out our problem.

Everyone says if you stop trying to have a baby you will, so hopefully since I am trying to find my way back to a size 8, I will find myself PG instead.

I have been charting ovulation and using ovulation sticks for the better part of a year, and have my first blood test on Monday to try determine if I have a hormone problem.

Best to luck to everyone else TTC.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189.5/183.5/165 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 24%
Cool I'm new

Hi all,

I am new to the chat thing. But I think it will really help me. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my late teens. I am now 27. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 16 months. Before that I was on BC. I have done it all so far many many cycles of chlomid, metformine, dexamethasone, acupuncture, chinese herbs (both are really good!), natropathy (vegan). And I have already lost 30lbs on WW, but have been at a plateau for about a year. I am starting IUI cycles with gonadatrophine treatment next month. I started on Atkins on Tuesday, and didn't realized until I started surfing this site that people had actaully had success with it in terms of PCOS! One doctor (naturopath) told me that I may have never ovulated in my life Anyway, I will see what happens. I would love some advice. Do you think I should do Atkins for a while before starting on the hormones? I have already lost 5 lbs! Any feedback would be great.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 18:13
Registered Member

Stats: 175/148/140 Female 173.7cm
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Hello

I definatly recommend doing the Atkins diet before trying the hormones.
I've been on 2000mg metformin , had many cycle of clomid and other things and never once had an ovulation or a period on any of the drugs.
I did have to take norethisterone to kick start what i call a fake period.
I haven't had a period since i was 18, the hair,spots,weigh gain etc just got to much to all bare at once , so i decided to lose weight doing the Atkins diet, And after only 3 weeks of doing Atkins i got my first period
I am going to have my progesterone levels checked and some other blood work to see if i actually Ovulated or if it was just a period with no ovulation , i'm hoping i ovulated but we'll see, i'm so excited i can't wait to see if i come on again next month. My next step was injectables, then Ivf but with no ovulation on Clomid i'd have to eggs to harvest.
And a bonus of the Atkins is that i've lost weight, have some energy back and the hair is growing slower , my skins also clearer.
Hope that's helped you abit , and maybe give you the encouragment to keep going with Atkins even when times get really hard ( i've been so close to breaking a few times).
Keep in touch and feel free to Pm me if you'd like a private chat anytime Good Luck , Stay Strong Tracey
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:04

BF:

Thanks Tracy,

That really does engourage me. Although, I am doing pretty well so far, as I don't feel like I am on a "diet" at all! My husband and I decided to wait on the drugs for a couple of months - just in case. I have started back on the chinese herbs, which I think were starting to have an effect anyway.

Good luck! Let me know if you ovulated!!!

Rebecca
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 12:08

BF:
Unhappy

So my weight loss has stalled already. I was down to 183 after a week of Induction, and then I gained 1.5 and am now sitting at 184.5! I have no idea why. I didn't change a thing. Anyone have any thoughts?
  #36   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:07

Stats: 225/175/155 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 71%
Talking New here

Hello all!! I'm new to this board but thought I'd throw in my few cents. I would love to be a member of a TTC on LC board!! My hubby and I are currently trying for #2 as I try to lose the weight on Atkins from baby #1. I've lost 35 pounds so far and still going.
Like many of you, I've also had people tell me it's not healthy to get preg while on LC but I've also heard dozens of stories supporting my choice.
Example:
A friend of mine TTC for 8 years with absolutely no luck whatsover. They found no apparent problems with either her no her husband. The doctor finally suggested that she lose a few pounds. She was a size 20W-24W. She immediately went on Atkins and after losing only 17 pounds got pregnant.
I have spoken with many people who say that after problems with infertility, they were able to conceive while on a LC diet. Any doctor will admit that women are more fertile if they are closer to their ideal weight.
I think we have to be careful once we do conceive but may miss out on our miracle if we give up on LC while in the process of TTC.
I figure I'll also have a healthier pregnancy 35 pounds lighter. Good luck to all of you in your quest. Nice to be here.
Teresa
  #37   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:10

Stats: 225/175/155 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Question about cycle

I do have a question for you all-My cycles have been around 40 days since being on LC and joining curves. Do you think this will eventually go back to normal? Should I be TTC around day 26 instead?? Has this happened to any of you? I've heard some of you say you had a shorter cycle but mine have been abnormally long.
Teresa
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 01:57

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately

I would love to be part of a TTC/LC forum. I am 33, have been married for 12 wonderful years and have a lot of weight to lose before the hubby and I ttc, but with my biological clock now ticking loud enough to wake up the neighborhood at night =P, we are taking action. We desperately want a child, and of course want to be healthy. We are excited to be on the right path though! My Dr. actually prescribed Atkins for my PCOS, and strongly suggested I get myself healthy before ttc .....she assures me I have enought time =). Is a strange mix of excitement and fear when I think about it, so would love to hear from some Mom's as to their past experiences too. Anyhow, boy can I babble! In summation, I would love a ttc forum!!!! Thanks!

~ Lori
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:21
Registered Member

Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%

I would be interested in a ttc board, I think it is a great idea.
I have read many stories online, about women who have had pcos for a while and never really thought they could get preggers, then they go on Atkins and their cycles are regulated, they are ovulating and they become pregnant, some of the stories are very inspirational.

Personally, me and hubby havent brought up the idea of having a baby in a long time, we kinda assumed my levels are out of whack because of the pcos. Well let me tell you, I already got a regular cycle and have lost 20lbs, now I am trying to figure out
if I dont cycle this month is it because, my levels are still fluctuating or because I could be preggers, If I am I think I would pass out on the floor the timing was right so who knows.
If not I wont be dissapointed, having a regular cycle every month because I am LCarbing gives me enough inspiration.
Because all the pcos girls know, if the lining builds up, eventually could lead to bad health problems, including cancer, and I for one dont want to take that chance.
So for low carbing!!! I truly believe in many ways it helps people ttc.
peace
fg

Last edited by fishergirl : Tue, Jun-15-04 at 15:22. Reason: typo
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 17:37

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%
Unhappy I'm scared...

I just came across the threads about PCOS and I just might have it...

I'm 20 yrs old, my TOM has always been irregular and now I haven't had it sence septeber! I was pretty sure about why. Ok, now it's getting personal..
I had taken 2 "the-day-after"-pills that in a period of a month... wich is a big no-no. I checked if I was pregnant and I wasnt + I don't even think I can get preagnant or somthing...my ex and I almost NEVER used protection. I thought I might had been him that couldnt...never me?!

I have been stalling and cheating so much lately. I read somewhere that there might be a link there. Now I'm even weighing more than when I started last year!

I have been calling and calling to my doctor but shes on vacation so I wont be able to take any bloodtest until august. This PCOS might just be what I have. I can't belive that that the nurse just said to wait for my TOM to come back by it's own and she didnt even se any link when I told her that I have been stalling (even when not cheating) and gaining.

I checked my thyroid when I was 17 yrs in Ecuador and the doc said that my levels where a little high. I was REALLY overweight then. I had come back home to Sweden after a studentexchange year in the US where I gained 16 more lb. I'm 5"2 and I weighed about 190 lb when I was there! Well, the doc got me some medication and I lost 20 in 3 months! Then I gained it all back as I got home to Sweden and the meds ran out. The doctors wouldn't give me the meds here. It wasnt sever enough. My granma, mom,all my first auts and female cousins (who all live in Ecuador) have a messed up thyroid and they all take the meds, except for one aut who just cant afford it (she weighs about 320lb!) and my mom that needs to get more tests to be "aproved" here in Sweden.

Can you guys just fill me in a little on what the typical symptomes would be and the..."result"? What do you think it might be, PCOS, my pill messupp or my thyroid?

~Priscilla
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 13:54

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292/250/199 Female 5'2"
BF:50%/46.5%/23%
Progress: 45%

I'm in. I will post later on.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 16:33

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%

I'm OK now....
I got filled in on everything and on what to do next.
Soo greatful!

~Priscilla
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 08:13

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

#44   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 11:28

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm not ttc and don't have pcos but wanted to lend my support to those of you on the ttc journey. Having a group like this helps soooo much. I joined a ttc board on babycenter.com when I was ttc #1 and was so glad I did....ttc can really take over your life and your thoughts and it's really nice to have a place to vent.

I also really recommend charting. I followed the advice in "Taking charge of your fertility" (I don't remember the author). I had regular periods but it definitely helped my recognize ovulation.

I conceived dd#1 after a year ttc (and I was 35 and 230 lbs) and dd#2 when I was 37 and 260 lbs. I had relatively easy pregnancies with no health problems for me or either baby.

Best of luck to all of you!
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 09:43
Registered Member

Stats: 264/218.5/155 Female 5'9"
BF:43%/38%/23%
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up This would be great!

Hi ladies,

I would love to have a TTC board. Just when I felt like I was all alone, I found this post. My DH and I have been trying for 6 years. I started Atkins in January 04 and have lost about 44 lbs. I'm finally getting everything back to normal and I'm ovulating! I was on clomid back about 3 years ago and got pregnant and then lost the baby. I just got frustrated and decided that I didn't want to take the drugs anymore...I always felt terrible while taking them between mood swings and hot flashes. I'm only 28 years old...I don't need to deal with hot flashes just yet...hehehe. Anyway, I would love to have a TTC board. I look forward to talking to all of you that are in the same boat as I am.

hugs