Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 10:59
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

*grins*

I've gone twice and already gotten a friend signed up... I love it! Originally I thought I was going to have to force myself to go 3 times a week... now I'm thinking 5 will be no problem.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 19:40

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 214/150/145 Female 5'4
BF:don't know anymore
Progress: 93%
Default Curves!

I love curves. Anyone else go. We could post our results here. Anybody for it?
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:16

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%

I've been thinking of trying Curves. Would love to hear what it's like and why you love it. How long have you been going and what kind of results have you seen?
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:29

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

Joined 3/18/03. Today was my 20th workout (was doing 3-4X week - now committed to 4-5X week) and I love it. I find that going in a.m. is best for me (I am there when they open at 7am).

I have my first measure day on the 19th. Unofficially I know I lost an inch on my hip, tummy, 1/2 inch on my thigh, calf. 1 inch off upper arm but I gained 3/4 inch on my waist! I have not gone down in weight either but my body is much more toned that it was this time last month.

I will post my Official measurement on Monday (they are closed on Saturday the 19th).
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:46

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wow!

REally glad to hear that!!!

take Care,
M-
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:50

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Meadow --- read some postings from the other curves thread you will find on the first page here...

GNC- What are your reading/measurements/success like?

M-
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/189/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

I've been going to Curves for about 6-weeks now and love it.

Just going three times a week as that is what the instructor told me was the best.

Do you feel you're doing better by going more than three times a week?

I love it...and I've always hated exercise. This is totally different and I'm so glad I don't have to feel self-conscious as I would at the bigger gyms.

Sue
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:33

BF:

Well, I see that my post got moved here which is good. I just knew there had to be others looking for information on Curves. We have 4 Curves within 5 miles of my home, so I will have several options. I'm terrified to join. I'm so use to being stared at because of my size that it's going to take a lot for me to put myself in the position of exercising in front of anyone. It really helped me to read the post of the one lady who just joined and weighed in at 300 lbs. I thank her for sharing her story as that is helping me work up the courage to move forward. It also helps me to know that people with limited mobility or joint problems can do the circuit. I have read from several that they have not lost weight doing curves.... BUT...they have lost inches....I don't care if I weigh 500 lbs....long as I loose all these extra inches. LOL!! I carry a huge portion of my weight right around my middle (good luck in measuring or finding a waist.) so if I can loose inches I could care less about loosing lbs. I know though that eventually the pounds will drop, because the heavier muscles will start burning those calories. It's all a matter of time and physics. Thanks for all the posts. This has been a great help.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 21:03
3 Days at a Time

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Meadow
It really helped me to read the post of the one lady who just joined and weighed in at 300 lbs. I thank her for sharing her story as that is helping me work up the courage to move forward.

*grins* No problem!

I've gone five times... and I can say I'm well and truly obsessed. I'm going tomorrow for the fourth day in a row (4th day of voluntary exercise! that hasn't happened since high school!) and just love it.

If I can do it at 300 pounds with asthma... anyone can do it. And yeah, sometimes I feel like people are looking at me... but most of the time they're friendly and smile, so it gets better.

The trainers are great, too. They really know how to make you feel comfortable.

And I can't tell you how much my energy level has changed, just after a week! I'm getting more stuff done, and feel so much better. I even sleep better, because I've put in some good work during the day.

I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!

*g* I even made my mom join in Minnesota.

And as for posting results here... I'm all for it! I've got a few weeks before I get my first measuring... but I can hardly wait.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/171/135
BF:39%/37%/30%
Progress: 18%
Default 16th workout

I had my 16th workout today. I've been going 5x per week--partly because I want to make it a habit (21 days to form a habit!!) and partly because it feels so good.

I also had to share--at my Curves they have little stars for everyone. You get one after you've been going for a month--well, I just noticed this week there is a woman who has lost 7 FEET WORTH OF INCHES. And, she did it in less than 9 months! Absolutely amazing!
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 18:54

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

WOW! 7 feet! That's fantastic! Did she follow the Curves diet, I wonder.....I'm sure that wasn't on her little star, was it? lol
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 21:05

BF:
Default Question

Ok, I have a question to some of the ladies with larger tummies. I notice that one of the Curves machines is one where you must bring your feet up close to your chest and place your feet on these two platforms. Does anyone have a problem getting in that position with a tummy in the way. At 5'9" and 260lbs, I a little concerned about being able to do that machine. Sure don't want to make a fool out of myself. LOL!

Also...I read where someone said that the instructor showed them how to use each machine. Is this done during your first visit? Wouldn't that interupt everyone elses workout??

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 05:53

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

When I started Curves, I probably weighed 250. I worried about it too. I did 'plot' my strategy before I got on it. But I had no problem. Already I can hop right on it like everyone else! Don't worry about it! You'll do great! It's very non-judgemental - at least where I'm at. I'm sure the same is true where you are too. I mean, that's what they're there for!! Give it a try. My guess is you'll be hooked like the rest of us.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 07:46

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Smile Hi Meadow!

I hear that Curves has a promotion going that you can try them out for a week free. You might want to ask about it. I've been toying with the idea of joining for months and haven't talked myself into spending the money yet. I'm anxious to hear what you think.

Kathy
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 07:47
3 Days at a Time

BF:
Default Re: Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Meadow
Ok, I have a question to some of the ladies with larger tummies. I notice that one of the Curves machines is one where you must bring your feet up close to your chest and place your feet on these two platforms. Does anyone have a problem getting in that position with a tummy in the way. At 5'9" and 260lbs, I a little concerned about being able to do that machine. Sure don't want to make a fool out of myself. LOL!

Also...I read where someone said that the instructor showed them how to use each machine. Is this done during your first visit? Wouldn't that interupt everyone elses workout??

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Actually, the little pushy machine is my favorite one! I have to do a little manuvering to get started--but NOT because of my big belly (and yes, at 309, I certainly have one!) but because of my very long legs. I have see other women who are over a certain height do the same thing... *g* If you want a good plan of action... sit down, put one foot onto the foot rest and push it out a little, and then position your feet and go at it!

As for the instructor showing you how... the way the workout is set up is that each person spends 30 seconds on each machine, then 30 seconds in between on a rest station. When mine showed me, she just got one stop ahead of me and went around the circle with me once, and while I was bouncing on the rest station she showed me how to use the machine, then I used it while she watched. Works out great, even if there are lots of people there. And if there are--they're always very encouraging.

And even as out of shape and self-concious as I am--I still went every day, Monday through Saturday this week. Trust me--you'll love it!