Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:49
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Traveler...
I'm here. Was away for a while and when I came back everyone was gone. Musicmama hasn't posted anything on the board since June. Been looking for her.

Bet you had a great vacation. I've heard Nova Scotia is beautiful. My daughter lives in Vermont so we get there every few years. Next time we go I want to go to Montreal. Have never been in Canada. Been to Niagara Falls but didn't cross over.

Good job on only gaining a lb. It's hard when you are away from home. You ate PIE? How did you dare? I would be afraid to, thinking I would get sick. Back in th 60's I was on a diet that was very much like Atkins except you could have 2 slices whole wheat bread per day, fruit, and cottage cheese. Absolutely nothing with sugar in it. I lost a lot of weight and after several months and being at my goal I had a Snickers bar when I was out with friends. Boy, did I get sick! And it was so sweet I couldn't eat it all.

I've been somewhat stalled myself. Been bouncing up and down 3 lbs for a couple weeks. I'm trying to be patient. This is my WOL whether I lose weight or not.

Dreamdancer had a great idea. I would love to learn how to ride a horse. Love horses. My kids had ponies when they were little, but I've only had 2 opportunities to get on a horse.

I'm rambling again. CYL
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Hi!! Welcome back! I guess we are just al lbusy, eh?
Well,,as for me,, I am back on track,,I decided to reread the book,,,and get brutally honest with myself. I havent been real careful about counting my veggies and my dairy stuff. so I was over in my carbs, thats why I wasnt losing. Now I am back in ketosis and being very careful. Gotta get back into the water thing tho,,,that is the hardest part for me.
Glad youhad a great trip! I messed up last ngiht, but it was for a good cause...tehe.....my frined Jennifer is expecting septuplets,,and last night the Pizza Hut here had a fund raiser for them,,,,a percentage of every sale went to them,,so we had to support em!! And dont even expect me to go to Pizza Hut and not eat Pizza!! Cause thats my favorite kind. But I ame home and started counting again. Maybe it wont have hurt me too much!!
Well,, I am off to day, so I have decided I am gonna sew.
Are the Advantage bars really good?? I have seen em but been afriad to try em because I bought one kind of protein bar that tasted like something from the Litter box!!! YUCK!!
Catch ya later!!
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:50
Contributing Member

BF:

I like the Advantage bars. Eat half a one per day for midafternoon snack. Can't eat a whole one. I think they are very filling. I tried the Carb Solutions bars but didn't like those at all. Just opened the package and could smell the sugar alcohols. About made me sick. Threw them all away. Have been afraid to try any other brand. I like the Atkins shakes, too, but have them very seldom. My friend bought the strawberry but didn't like it so gave it to me. I added fresh strawberries and a little cream. It was yummy.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 21:10

I better not try em....would probably not stop at half a one!
I have some of the shakes too, but havent had any for a lon gitme, cause I forget about em.
Oh well,,,,I am tired so am retiring early tonight, was up to three am with a family crisis. Catch ya later!!
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:54

Plan: not known
Stats: 167/167/124
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi all, I'm 65 and just starting the diet again. I have been on a sugar binge for a few weeks and my blood sugar is up. I need to loose about 50 pounds. I do have a hard time getting my weight down. I'm good for a few weeks and can loose about 8 to 10 pounds but then it stops. I get discouraged and go off the diet. I hope you allow new people to join. I really want to get it right this time.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:45

Welcome!! The more the merrier!! We are all in the same boat,,so lets make it a fun cruise!!
We all get discouraged at times,,but this group is great for support and encouragement. Read some of the other threads too,,,it really helps keep ya motivated.
Gotta go for now,,,,be back later!!!
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 19:52
Contributing Member

BF:

Mary, glad to have you aboard! We are all here for the same reason. This board has been a great help for me. Just reading about other's experiences lets me know I am not alone. The people who have been LCing for a long time with a very slow loss inspire me. They have such determination and patience. I am trying to learn that - patience. I have not lost for over 2 weeks, but I am not giving up. We have to realize that there will be times when we do not lose, but that we are here for the long haul. I keep reminding myself that I'm eating to live, not living to eat.

You'll do fine if you come to this board for help and support. There are great people here.
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 19:46
Contributing Member

BF:

Where is everyone???

My scale was finally back down to 200 this morning. I think I've just been eating too much. Yesterday I was so busy I didn't eat a meal until supper. Just snacked during the day so I could take my supplements. Was busy, but also not really hungry. If I'm hungry I can always stop what I'm doing to eat.

CYL
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 18:35
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

I guess I have a vested interest in saying this but here goes: I have always felt that you feel only as old as the age group you identify with--in my case at least, this is the age group that I graduated from college with. I took my time about getting through college--I was 29--then went on to serve a 3-year stint as a "young" officer in the Army, supervising and working beside (due to chronic lack of personnel) the company's motor pool staff--average age 19. I got intimately acquainted with their ways of doing things, talking, music, etc. Add to that the fact that my oldest child was just 3 at the time, and I felt the need (and still do) to keep current with her musical tastes, her moral dilemmas that she had to contend with (as opposed to the piddling ones that I faced growing up), etc., the upshot of all this is that I feel, like a child of the 80's or even the 90's rather than the 60's-70's. At 50, I feel like a fish out of water--I act and dress like I was 35 or so. The graying hair on my sideburns and mustache unfortunately gives me away, although I have been known to minimize it a little from time to time with mascara (cheaper than mustache wax, easier to use, and just as effective!). The point is that because I don't mentally identify myself as 50, I don't feel 50 physically either. Neither should anyone else be expected to.

Last edited by Azraelle : Fri, Jul-18-03 at 18:51.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 22:01
Contributing Member

BF:

Welcome, Azraelle.

How is 50 supposed to feel? As you just proved everyone feels differently based on life experience and lifestyle. I will be 60 next year, but since starting Atkins, I feel 40. No more fatique, shortness of breath, joint pain, and lack of energy. Isn't Atkins great?

I checked your profile. You have a wide range of interests. You have done really well in 2 months. I know men lose easier, but you may be above average.

I never knew men used mascara for that!

Glad to have you aboard.
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 17:21

Stats: 188/188/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello all

Hello all, Can another granma check in here? I started Atkins (should say restarted) yesterday. I did very well on Atkins about 2 years ago, but started listening to all the negatives and went off and tried the typical low fat varieties - WW and ediets. Well, of course I regained all that I had lost and yoyoed the same 10 lbs the last year. When I read all the new reports and then saw that ediets had added Atkins to their program I decided to do it again. So wish me luck and have a great evening all.
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:28

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi'''...I'm 51 and a grandma....55 isn't that far away....I still have the same desires and attitudes that I had at 21..just my body doesn't coorperate...lol....I have lost 37 lbs...had lost 40 but went on vacation...and gained 5 lbs with mom...who is 71...and I really don't see her as an older citizen...she works rings around me....

Went I hit the 200 pound mark a year or so ago, and I just gave in and said "oh well,"....but when I stepped on the scales at 213....I felt so upset...I'm just now admitting that I weighed that much..210 sounded much better than 213..LOL....however, Somehow something clicked and I got on atkins and am so happy that I have...both my hubby and I who were skinny childhood sweethearts, have both lost over 35 lbs since January 17th, 2003...My first goal is 150....then hopefully someday down to at least 130...I'm only 5'3"...

I am also a lupus/fibromyalgia patient, have diabetes, and high blood pressure...but now my triglycerides once 980 is 170'sh and my cholesterol is now 206...a great improvement...I am now also off my diabetes meds...and I feel great and able to work again...at home, but at least my brain is working again...yeah...so...we're not old, till we feel old...have a great week everyone....hugs, trisha from texas
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 19:05
Contributing Member

BF:
Smile Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!

Charlotte and Trisha, so glad to have both of you here. Nice to have a few more to talk to on this thread.

I keep hovering between 200 and 202. Can't seem to make it past that 200 mark. I probably need to go back to strict induction for a couple of weeks. Then maybe I can figure out if something I'm eating is causing me to stall. I have all my menus from induction (when I lost 21 lbs.) so I could eat exactly the same thing again and see what happens. If I lost I would know that it is something I've been eating or if my body just doesn't want to let go. I'd be happy if I was losing inches but I'm not.

I also have high blood pressure and am hypothyroid. Water retention is a real problem for me. I stopped taking the diuretic because I was doing so good, but then the ankles started swelling again. So back on them. Maybe they are having an effect on my loss (or lack of it!)

I'm just thinking out loud (so to speak) trying to figure things out.

I made fish for supper. Dipped filets in egg and then in mixture of crushed hot & spicy pork rinds and Atkins bake mix. Then fried them. They were absolutely delicious and I'm not a big fish eater.

Well, CYL
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:44
Contributing Member

BF:

I see we have a new forum of our own. Not sure I like being called "Elder" though. As least it doesn't say ElderLY! LOL
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 01:50
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

SD: My 3 older brothers (1941,1944,1946, respectively) all are in various stages of "decrepitation" from various forms of arthritis (Ankylosing and rheumatoid), and obesity. Acknowledging that it is hereditary, they believe that the severity is attributable to the way they abused their joints playing basketball and football. Having experienced about a 90% remission of severe GERD (with which I have contended for the better part of my life about 2 hours after every meal) since going on Atkins 2 months ago, I have to believe that at least some of their symptoms could be alleviated by trying Atkins for a month. I wish I could convince them of that, but I could more easily convince Bill Clinton to give up sex!! What gave you (and others your age) the impetus to give Atkins a try??

In answer to your comment about mascara, I doubt many men (my age at least) do use it, for that or any other purpose--too afraid of losing their precious manhood, probably. The younger generations (especially the goths) use it for eyebrow enhancement (a heavier brow than God gave them is supposed to attract girls). Figuring on a possible second career in digital graphic design/animation/photography, I figured I needed some knowledge of how shading and highlighting could change the appearance of faces--so I took a stage makeup class my first semester back in college. It was one of the most incredible learning experiences I have ever had, and a lot of fun, as well. I had to learn to let myself go and kick back, something I had never been able to do before. Along with a stint in the armed forces, I'd recommend it as a needed, perspective-changing and eye-opening experience to anyone, especially male! But I digress...sorry.

Last edited by Azraelle : Mon, Jul-21-03 at 02:05.